Answered

can users edit submissions?

• 3 February 2021
  • 20 replies

I want to create a type of journaling application for my students. Can I create a form to capture there thoughts and an upload and have them able to revisit and edit in the future?

icon

Best answer by Liz 3 February 2021, 21:47

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Joshj . Thanks for joining the community! 

While we don’t have a feature that allows respondents the ability to submit their answers and return later to edit them, this is a great suggestion! :) 

One workaround would be to add the answers to a Google Sheet that the respondents have access to and can edit later. 

If you think of any other questions/suggestions, let us know!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi,

I have a little quiz competition, but it is too easy to score well :laughing: .

I show the scores twice: once halfway through the quiz and once towards the end (before i ask feedback and “Submit”).

Since Typeform alows to go back, participants can edit their answers before they hit submit. 

Is it possible to allow only going forward? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Xinnamon I added your post here where we have the answer. :) Let me know if you have any other questions!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hmm… i am not sure this is the answer. The above person wants respondents to revisit answers, i want the opposite - to block the “Arrow”/Back button, so they CAN'T edit answers anymore :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Xinnamon I’m afraid we don’t have a way to prevent responds from moving backwards in the form to edit their answers, but if you have any other questions/suggestions, please let us know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hmm… i am not sure this is the answer. The above person wants respondents to revisit answers, i want the opposite - to block the “Arrow”/Back button, so they CAN'T edit answers anymore :)

@Xinnamon - this comes from a fellow user.. 

just a thought to consider: you could break your typeform into a couple of separate typeforms and pass the user from the first to the second (or third..) at the mid-point and the ‘just before the end’ statements from above: this would force the users to enter info and submit (change the text on the submit button to “ok let’s carry on”) the answers to date without knowing what their score is and not allow them to go back to the previous part of the quiz in the other type form.. what the voices in my head are saying is something like this

• welcome screen(s), q1 - qn, statement page-ish - great work so far. now to the next question with submit button taking them to typeform #2 (using hidden fields to carry information/answers forward)
  • typeform 2 goes through the next set of qs and then statement about ‘the next screen will give you the results, on submit go to typeform 3 for answers and pass everything by hidden fields
  • typeform 3, display the full set of results and the score… 

you can connect each of the typeforms in the series to a single Google Sheet with each typeform dumping the output onto separate tabs and you can relate all the data together through a unique identifier like email, etc. 

just a thought or two on how to keep folks from going back to an question set.. 

(this comes courtesy of voice number 5 of the seven extra ones I have in my head - calls himself Willy Workaround) 

cheers

des

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Xinnamon - this comes from a fellow user.. 

just a thought to consider: you could break your typeform into a couple of separate typeforms and pass the user from the first to the second (or third..) at the mid-point and the ‘just before the end’ statements from above: this would force the users to enter info and submit (change the text on the submit button to “ok let’s carry on”) the answers to date without knowing what their score is and not allow them to go back to the previous part of the quiz in the other type form.. what the voices in my head are saying is something like this

• welcome screen(s), q1 - qn, statement page-ish - great work so far. now to the next question with submit button taking them to typeform #2 (using hidden fields to carry information/answers forward)
  • typeform 2 goes through the next set of qs and then statement about ‘the next screen will give you the results, on submit go to typeform 3 for answers and pass everything by hidden fields
  • typeform 3, display the full set of results and the score… 

you can connect each of the typeforms in the series to a single Google Sheet with each typeform dumping the output onto separate tabs and you can relate all the data together through a unique identifier like email, etc. 

just a thought or two on how to keep folks from going back to an question set.. 

(this comes courtesy of voice number 5 of the seven extra ones I have in my head - calls himself Willy Workaround) 

cheers

des

Des…. :scream::flushed::ballot_box_with_check:  I did not think that is possible. It would be very elegant! I need to try this out but i have 2 issues:

1. i keep on failing on using hidden fields. i read the instructions multiple times and i just don't get it (but then i have been working on my typeforms mainly after 10pm :sweat_smile::bow: ). Unless you have a video on this, nobody can help me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  2. I am not sure how to make it happen that after hitting the submit button a new typeform appears right away. Woudl you explain that a bit more?

Thanks so much for this! :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Xinnamon - take a look at this example

this should take you to a form that asks you to put in some details and then routes you to selecting an industry sector for a report 

• typeform names for me are serial first and serial second
  • in serial first i have redirect on completion with the hidden fields added to the url for ‘serial second’ 
  • in serial second i have hidden fields set up to accept the inbound hidden fields so that they are accessible. 

try it out and see how you think it works for you.. i can then fill the screen with some logic screen shots

des

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

this should take you to a form that asks you to put in some details and then routes you to selecting an industry sector for a report 

• in serial first i have redirect on completion with the hidden fields added to the url for ‘serial second’ 
  • in serial second i have hidden fields set up to accept the inbound hidden fields so that they are accessible. 

try it out and see how you think it works for you.. i can then fill the screen with some logic screen shots

des

Just gave it a look. I am the “Testy Tester” LOL. This is very creative. I need to try creating something like it. Fingers crossed it will be a silent weekend!

Thanks so much Des. I would have not ventured this far on my own :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

des

Just gave it a look. I am the “Testy Tester” LOL. This is very creative. I need to try creating something like it. Fingers crossed it will be a silent weekend!

Ok sounds good.. @Xinnamon but as promised here are the logic things i did in that little example:

on the receiving form:

hidden fields created to receive the incoming data then the logic branching showing the use of the inbound fields

in the originating file, i used the redirect on completion feature to add the fields i wanted to send to form two as hidden fields

now it’s up to you to go figure some more out at your end lol

have a good weekend

des

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

des

Ok sounds good.. @Xinnamon but as promised here are the logic things i did in that little example:

on the receiving form:

hidden fields created to receive the incoming data then the logic branching showing the use of the inbound fields

in the originating file, i used the redirect on completion feature to add the fields i wanted to send to form two as hidden fields

now it’s up to you to go figure some more out at your end lol

have a good weekend

des

Wow! Thanks Des for this. Amazing help. Someone give this man a medal, please! :medal:

Hey, 

Maybe its too late, but I was looking for this exact feature, as I have to show to users their answers (also its a way to engage new users/clients to show that if the press the submit botton chan it appears their anwsers) buuut as in typeform dont have it and also bc I was integrated with airtable (backend data base) Im considering to move to the upgrade plan of airtable where there is a pluggin where you can show people forms replies and if you want they can edit them bythemselves and contact you 

Hi there!

We are using Typeform to collect birthdays.

1. I am wondering, if it is possible for a respondent to edit their answer in an already submitted answer? E.g. if they typed the wrong date. 

2. What happens if the same respondent fill out the Typeform-formular again. Will the first answer be replaced by the newest submitted? Or will the respondent appear twice? 

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Louise

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Louise L I’ve added your post here where we have the answer. As for your second question, if the respondent submits the same form twice, their answers will be recorded twice.

Good day
Could you tell me if with the basic plan there can be an administrator and the link can be shared with any user so they can edit their answers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Tania Gamboa I’ve moved your post here where we have an existing conversation about editing answers. 😀

Hej there,

I’m looking for a function within typeform that allows a respondant to edit his submission that he made. 

For example: User get’s an email confirmation when he completed the form containing a link to his submission and is now able to edit his own submission until completion. 

I only found a 2 year old posting regarding this topic and wondered if this function was upgraded in the meantime. 

Thanks, 

L

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @VATERBLUT I added your post here so you can stay updated on this request. 

We conducted a survey in 2023. Is there a method to resend the survey to participants, including their previous responses, allowing them to review and update if necessary, rather than requiring them to fill out the entire survey again?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @GENG Welcome to the community! I moved your post here where we have an existing discussion about edit past survey responses.