Answered

How to record answers without submit button?

Hey everybody! I was wondering if there is a way for a form to record every answer as soon as it gets answered. I hope thats everything you need. If there’s more clarification required, don’t hesitate to ask :) 

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 9 March 2021, 20:56

View original

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @nicoleelmore thanks for stopping by and good question! We don’t save any answers until the respondent clicks the Submit button. Though, this is a great suggestion! Would you mind sharing more about your use case to give us an understanding how this feature would help? 

Sure! We just created a small survey on our website and each of the questions of the survey are actually independent. So we would love to get the information of everyone, even of the users that dropped off after the first or second or N question!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @nicoleelmore ah, that makes total sense. Thank you for sharing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@nicoleelmore @Liz 

just wondering if this might work as an option - given that the questions are ‘independent’ 

set up the survey as series of separate one question typeforms with redirect on completion from q1 to q2 to q3 etc. .. At least this way you might capture some of the answers before they drop off.. (not sure on the performance hit but….. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That's a great option, @john.desborough. Thanks for sharing =) 

We also have a help center article that covers how to achieve that. I'll share it here so it's easier if @nicoleelmore decides to try the suggestion. :hugging:

I find the original suggestion, to record answers before the entire survey is submitted, extremely relevant. I’m even wondering why any survey system would not work like this?

We have a lot of feedback surveys, typically structure like this:

• How would you rate XYZ?
  • How can we improve? or Would you like to give additional feedback?

It’s very sad to lose all ratings of the first question, just because people close the survey directly afterwards (we see extremely steep drop-off rates).

I’m aware of the option to “string surveys together”, but seriously, that’s a hacky workaround, and not something I’d like to do with every survey we create.

We also use Hotjar for direct user feedback on the website. And there it’s so simple: you just get all the answers until the user drops off. If they reach the final Thank You message: even better! But it really is the exception.

We’re very satisified with Typeform, but this is the one missing feature that will make us look for other options eventually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Roland Thanks for stopping by and sharing your feedback. :grinning: I love using Hotjar! I’ll pass this along to our product team, and if you have any other questions or suggestions, please let us know. 

I’m curious if Typeform has accepted this enhancement and whether there are plans to implement this? I used Typeform at my last company and ended up with a different solution just for NPS because I didn’t want to lose responses due to user drop off. 

Now I find myself evaluating solutions for my current company and will use a different solution again because again I can’t afford to lose NPS responses because an impatient user abandoned without answering the follow up “but why” question.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello, all! I have asked our product team if this is something they’re working on and if so, any updates. They are hoping to release this next year, but aren’t totally sure on the timeframe since it involves many of the engineering teams (versus just one or two). 

I know that’s not terribly specific, but do know that it’s on the horizon!

Hello,

Is it possible to submit a form (complete the form) without clicking the submit button? I have a form that calculates a score for the applicant. I would like the score to show up on the end page without the person clicking the submit button. After the last question is down then the score needs to be shown.

Thanks a lot for your input..

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

HI @Werner Welcome to the community! I added your post here where we have the answer. Let us know if you have any other questions! :grinning:

Hi,

I am trying to turn of the submit button on the Calendly integration page. Any idea on how to do this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @David_Rodin Thanks for stopping by the community! I added your post here where we have the answer. It may also be helpful to reference the post below as well. 

@Liz @john.desborough  

This solution does not work for my query. I just need to form to do directly to ending (without clicking submit) once the last question in the sequence has been answered. So the user can just view their calculated SCORE.

Hope this makes sense?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Werner - depending on how you are structuring your quiz, you could insert a Statement page that shows the results BEFORE you have the user hit the submission button - using the @recall function 

you can’t get to an ending page UNLESS the user hits a button that submits the data - you can change the text of the submit button in your settings to something like “Wanna see your scores?” so that the user doesn’t really know they are hitting a submit button. 

hope that helps clarify

Hey guys!

I would also absolutely need this feature…. I am thinking about switching to a TF competitor because I can’t see people’s answers even if they have not fully submitted their form…. 1 year after this post nothing has been done to provide this feature... this is a real pity…. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for stopping by, @Charles_Henri ! At the moment, we don’t have this in our roadmap, but as always, if that changes, we’ll post so here!

Totally agree, this should of been done a year ago when this topic was created :)

This case is so important, especially when you ask about product functionality or satisfaction it can contain about 10 questions, i am sure not everyone is going to want to answer to all questions and just exit the survey.

Technical side would also be easy to implement, you save all answered questions and only submit the results when someone close the window or press submit :) Meanwhile, i will look for alternatives ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @mastermind Thanks for sharing your feedback! 😀

Userlevel 2
Badge

hello community, 

i face almost similar case while searching i find this post. so while waiting for the feature to exist, i do some tweaking in my form / how i build the form.

I don't know if this sharing help, but here it goes. my approach was to break down some of the question into multiple form (redirect to URL) or use Matrix type question .

when i use redirect , i change the submit button into “do you want to continue” or simply “Continue?”, so when  respondent click the button they already submit the answer. /  some of the answer are already saved.

how do i know where to break down ?  by looking at the previous answer where is the most drop off  happen. the other hand if i use matrix, i filtered the questions by categorizing them. 

and the last, how to joint the answer together. is by utilizing the hidden field , UTM and or Gsheet . maybe a lot of work behind the building of the form but it will help to capture some of the answer or make the respondent feel less time in the form. 

anyway hope this sharing help

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for sharing this, @Michael.Tanriyo ! This is really helpful. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, @Michael.Tanriyo! Thank you very much! By the way, feel free to share your form with us if you want some useful feedback on them! 😉 I'd love to take a look at it!

Any Update on this yet? This is a feature us as users need.

I also would like an update. :) Currently we use the survey tool of a competitor. We’re exploring the markt now. 
Losing data of respondents who don’t fully complete the survey is a big issue. 

I would like an update on this as well, it would be very helpful to allow submit upon all fields being completed… this would be a significant advantage for lead gen forms.