Answered

Question where you first choose an option of the list, then write

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello!

I’m trying to create a form for a subscription to the school parenthood association, an ngo

In the form we need to ask on which courses you have kids studying, then their name

Say:

P3

P4

P5

then if you choose P3 and P5, we need the full name of those kids.

I’m trying to keep it simple as to have thousands of questions with all the possible options (there are currently 15 courses) and I don’t see what type of question could do that..

Thanks in advance if you could give me some light.

Have a lovely day,

Vicky

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 25 May 2022, 15:29

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @atxer, hope you’re doing well!

I’m not sure I fully understand your workflow just yet, but I’ll give it a shot. 

Whenever you’re dealing with a high volume of possible combinations (e.g. hundreds, thousands, etc.), I’d recommend exploring our API. This is certainly an advanced feature, and you’d need to be/work with a developer, but it may be your best bet for automating the workflow.

For example, all respondents could start on a generic typeform with the question you outlined above: “What courses do your kids study?” They could easily select the courses.

Then, based on the courses that each respondent selects, you could automatically redirect them to a new typeform that is created on the fly specifically for them. This would prevent you from having to manually set up Logic and create thousands of possible outcomes.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello @andrew_videoask ,

thanks a lot for your help.

My goal would be to be able to get this info:

The courses they have a kid in and the name of each of those kids.

Until now I’ve been creating monster-Typeforms where I go:

• In what course do you have a kid in the school from the list?
  • What’s the nam of the kid?
  • Do you have another kid at school? Yes/No
  • If YEs: What course does he/she go to?
  • What’s the name of the kid?

and again:

and again:

Around 5-6 times as the families usually don’t have more than 5-6 kids at school.

But it’s not the Typeform logic that is madness but the Excel that it generates is massive and very difficult to work with effectively to extract data.

Also worth mentioning is that I’m just a mother at school with no programming background and no developer friend to go too who could help me with this for charity/school NGO..

Again many thnaks an dif you see any other option, I’m all ears! :)

Vk

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@atxer - I’ve done this type of solution for registration for summer camps, sports teams etc. 

one of the things that you could do is ask a question about the number of children the user has to register and assign that value to a variable. 

create a question group for the specifics you need to ask and duplicate this question group after you have created all the questions inside. I allowed up to 12, for example for a soccer leagure. 

then, if the user says 3 (for example), you would do the following 

• go to question group 1 (for the first child) 
    • ask the questions
    • on the last question in the group you put in logic rules that go like this:
      • always subtract 1 from counter_variable
      • if counter_variable is greater than 0 jumpto question group 2
      • if counter_variable = 0 then jumpto ending (or other question) 
    • this will check to see if there are more to add and then will jump to the appropriate spot. 

on the last question of your max number question group  (in my case, on the 12th registration form possible) i jumpto a statement page that says - ok,.  you’ve entered the maximum number of folks at this point. press submit to lock them in. if you need to add more, then you will need to launch the form again 

this should reduce the amount of stuff that is flowing into your spreadsheet.. 

des

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Wow! 

Thanks @john.desborough

I’ll need to re-read several times and test to see if I get it right 😅but thanks!😍

Sounds like something it might work for this occasion!

Have a lovely day!

Vk

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@atxer - this form here was a sample i did up a year ago.. i think it has all the bugs worked out but should give you an idea of how it might work.. 

des

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Oo!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!

You’re so nice! This will make my volunteer-life so much easier 😅

I’ll dive into it with all my senses on!

Vk

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

so glad to hear @atxer .. hope this helps your organization!!

des

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

hello @john.desborough ,

are you maybe able to share with me how the results display on an excel to understand the process?

again many thanks!

Vk

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@atxer - you need to Connect the typeform to Excel and follow the prompts to complete the connection. then you need to get some data in through the typeform to see how the structure was created and the data presented inside the excel spreadsheet. 

once you get the data into the spreadsheet you have the opportunity to create extra tabs and pull the data from the ‘landing tab’ and do whatever you want to the data.. 

how the result display are up to you and your formatting and what  you want to do with the data.. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

mmh.. I meant for me to see the inner structure.

in your link I only get to answer as a user, right?

it’s ok, don’t worry, I’ll figure it out. ;)

thanks a lot for your great help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

the inner structure will be different in each typeform based on the questions you ask. make sure that you complete the typeform first then publish it before you connect it to the excel spreadsheet. 

just give it a try… you’ll see the question text as the header for the column then the response underneath. pretty simple.. 

here’s a screenshot of a sample form i created just now and then created the connection - it’s to a google sheet but it will be similar in excel

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

hello again @john.desborough ,

I’ve now created:

1 question about the number of children and

5 questions groups (my max number of children would be five)

Now, for the logic to work, could you please tell me if I’m configuring the values you mentioned right?

Is it like this you “assign that value to a variable” ?

Then the logic on the last question of each of my question groups would look like this?

Again, many many thanks in advance.

Vk

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

mmhh.. I can see something is not right..

No matter how many children you say you have in the Number qesution prior to the groups questions, it shows all the qgroups..

If it always substracts 1 from the @value but then the rule is If the @value is greather/equal to 0.. is it taken the result of the calculation or the value the user ahs entered?

Many many thanks for you patience @john.desborough 

Vk

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

it should be greater than 0 … not GTE

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’m sorry, I’m not sure I understand what error you’re pointing to, I’ve chosen “greater than”

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

sorry.. do you ask a question about how many children are going to be registered? 

on that question you need to have the logic rule always add the response to the variable

THEN you have a variable that has a value greater than 0 .. 

now in your question groups you can follow with your logic as you have it wriiten.. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This is what I have configured in Advanced logic on the question:

How many children do you have at school?

Do you mean this?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

And this is the advanced logic I have on each question group following that “How many”

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@atxer - i still don’t see a the logic rules for a question that asks “how many children do you have to register” 

Let’s assume that is question 2 in your form (if it exists). then you need to have a logic rules on question 2 that says

• always add the answer to q2 to the variable

then you have something to use as the base in your calculations