Answered

Widen the Matrix question

• 8 February 2021
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi, 

Is is possible to widen the matrix question box (the blue box area) so that respondents don’t have to scroll sideways when presented with more than 4 options? There is a risk that some respondents may not see the extra options if they don’t notice the scroll bar. Thanks, Sergi. 

icon

Best answer by sergi 10 February 2021, 10:54

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @sergi! :) I currently have a bug open for this and while I don’t have any updates on the progress yet, I can comment back here when I do. It’s a bit lower priority at the moment as the developers work on fixing some more complicated issues, but I’ll give them a nudge. :smiley:

I’m having the same problem as @sergi but in the meantime, @Liz do you recommend another question type? Multiple choice with pictures….looks a little informal for the audience I’m trying to segment by interests

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Peter ! :) I think it depends a little on what kind of question you want to ask. For example, if you like the style of the matrix question, and it’s easier to ask the question in that matrix/table format, you could leave the question and add a note in the description of the question so the respondent knows to scroll. 

We also have a workaround from our classic builder days here that could work, too. It’s a bit more cumbersome to setup, but then your respondent wouldn’t have to scroll! Would this help by chance? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi, 

Hi @Liz, many thanks for checking this for us. It will be great to hear what the developers can do about the matrix question. 

@Peter, if it helps, for now I have replaced the matrix question with a group question, with a multiple choice for each sub question. That way all options are visible without the need to scroll and works well on mobile phones too. That said, @Liz’s suggested opinion scale option could also work well. 

Thanks 

Sergi

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@sergi that’s a great workaround - thanks for sharing!

Hi! I have the same question, and the workaround link above is broken… is there a solution to this problem? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @DanoKid The workaround above is still active. 😀 @sergi shared that they replaced the matrix with the question group, if you haven’t already given that a try!

Thanks @Liz.  Hmmmmm… your answers create more questions:

• When I click the “this” link above, it redirects to the main help page. Am I missing something?
  • I did try the question group, but it looks like it presents only one question at a time…. I need respondents to see all the questions in a single view — the way they do with the matrix. Am I missing something?
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @DanoKid Ah yes, that link is no longer available, but Sergi’s workaround marked as the best answer is the next best solution. (The Likert article that doesn’t exist shared the same thing.) 

I’m afraid our forms show only one question at a time. 

I couldn’t find the group question function (or I haven’t yet). My workaround is adding “Scroll right on the matrix for all options” in the description, though it would be really good to be able to expand the matrix size or have options for formatting, or for a ‘fit to screen’ option. There is a LOT of empty space around the matrix questions on my screen! Though more looking around, it seems this is a fairly well worn path!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @BenSprint Do you mind sharing a screenshot of how your matrix question looks so I can share this with the product team? 

Hi @Liz, here’s one example. As it happens we are ditching this question, but because you have to scroll down to see all the vertical options, the scroll bar on the horizontal axis is not visible, hence adding the description. It meant that in testing, colleagues weren’t obviously aware of the further options to the right.

This screen shot is on a wide monitor using the preview on our survey.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @BenSprint Thank you! I’ll pass this along to the product team. Definitely frustrating to have to scroll left/right to see all of the options. 

Badge +1

Hi

We’ve used the Typeform matrix question on major surveys and can conclude that the mobile version of the matrix question biases the answers. So the matrix question form is not usable from a market research point of view.

As others have commented (some more than 2 years ago), users have to scroll sideways to answer matrix questions on mobile. Most users don’t do this, so you get a large bias in your data to only the visible options on the phone screen.

I read from @Liz that this wasn’t a priority 2 years ago. But it’s a bit strange that Typeform offers a format for a question that creates such a bias in market research results. The workarounds (opinion scale) are what we use now - BUT then you can’t have a “not relevant” answer as Opinion Scales don’t offer that. So none of the workarounds really solve the problem.

What’s the timeline on getting this addressed? Eg either fixing the Typeform matrix question on mobile for this bias, or adding in a “not applicable” button option on opinion scales. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Sophie I added your post here where we have an existing conversation about this so you can follow for any updates. 😀