What book are you reading at the moment?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Today is International Book Day so I thought it might be nice for us to share with each other the books we’re reading at the moment :nerd:  What is it about, what so you think of it, and who would you recommend it to?

I’ll start: the book I’ve got on the go (which was a Christmas present – I’m a slow reader) is called “The Midnight Library” by Matt Haig.

It’s about a woman who dies (not a spoiler alert, she dies at the start) and is offered the chance (by a mystical librarian) to come back and jump into any version of the other possible lives she could have lived had she made different decisions along the way.

It’s quite a funny book but also gets you thinking. I started wondering what the version of me who jumped into my version of his (or her?) life would think about my version. I came to the conclusion that they’d probably quite like it, which made me feel very grateful for what I’ve got. Now, had they jumped in a few years ago that would have been a different story...they would have probably choked on their/my stale banana sandwich. 

I’d definitely recommend this book to anyone who wonders what could have been and/or what might become of them. 

7 on 10

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oooh and talking of books, today is also Sant Jordi, where here in Catalonia folks get together to exchange books and roses 📚🌹

Typeform sent us some wonderful gifts, including a beautiful digital artwork from our own creative genius @cecilia.giglio (read more and go see the illustration on our LinkedIn post). I bet the other possible Jameses don’t get this kind of treatment from their employers...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - lucky you folks.. that is truly a grand thing and a very nice piece of art.. 

as for books, I am re-reading The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. next on the pile is another oldie, A Cue for Treason (which was probably the original book that pushed the button on my love of reading.. even before Treasure Island.. )

cheers and a great thread to start… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@James - lucky you folks.. that is truly a grand thing and a very nice piece of art.. 

as for books, I am re-reading The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. next on the pile is another oldie, A Cue for Treason (which was probably the original book that pushed the button on my love of reading.. even before Treasure Island.. )

cheers and a great thread to start… 

Cheers @john.desborough yes, we are a lucky lot for sure.

Thanks for the recommendations, haven’t read either of these but both sound like they could be up my Strasse. I’ll add them to my list to tuck into once I’m outta the Midnight Library (and having devoured whatever literary Sant Jordi treat is wrapped and waiting for me on the kitchen table). Happy reading!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oo! Adding these to my Goodreads list, @john.desborough and @James ! I just finished Such a Fun Age over the weekend, and I’m now halfway through Normal People. So far, the buzz with the book holds true. I still have about 95 books from Time’s Top 100 Books of 2020 to get through. :sweat_smile:

I try to read a business/self-development book at the same time as fiction, so I’m also halfway through The 4 Hour Work Week, which gets as much flak as it does praise. I really like it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz - i kept the work related ones off the list … but I am reading Anti-Fragile by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.

lots to read.. always lots to read. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oo! Adding these to my Goodreads list, @john.desborough and @James ! I just finished Such a Fun Age over the weekend, and I’m now halfway through Normal People. So far, the buzz with the book holds true. I still have about 95 books from Time’s Top 100 Books of 2020 to get through. :sweat_smile:

I try to read a business/self-development book at the same time as fiction, so I’m also halfway through The 4 Hour Work Week, which gets as much flak as it does praise. I really like it!

Nice @Liz I was thinking about reading The 4 Hour Work Week but was sceptical that it was a bunch of baloney. But it sounds like there might be something to it, then? I had read that it just basically said “outsource everything” but offered little beyond that.

@john.desborough just looked into Anti-Fragile. That sounds really interesting too (seems like a scary philosophy). I shall add these to my reading list too. And you’re right, there’s always lots to read. Too much actually for my 2 eyes and semi-functioning, attention deficient brain. I’ve read 30 pages of a lot of books! 

Always wanted to be in a book club, I think that probably helps you stay accountable and actually finish books. If anyone here’s up for starting one I’m in!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - Anti-Fragile is helping to set some of the parameters around how i try to invest my retirement funds - wanting to follow Warren Buffett’s two rules of investing: Rule 1 is don’t lose money. Rule 2, don’t forget Rule 1 (not to be confused with Monty Python’s rules.. seriously thought). It’s my serious book lol

I will candidly admit that i keep one book case though with a collection of Tom Clancy, Robert Ludlum and sci-fi fantasy books that do get recycled from time to time.. for mindless reading, much akin to watching some of the movies on netflix etc lol. (mindless that is) 

I would divide my reading into three basic categories: learning, appreciation and mindless and try to have one book in each category on the go, located in various rooms throughout the house lol.. 

fyi - the typeform blog and other threads fall into the learning category constantly.. 

as for book club: first rule of book club - put a brown paper cover over your book so no one can tell what you are reading (saves eyerolls from the peanut gallery) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough sounds like a canny and well thought out approach to reading :nerd: – what’s on the appreciation shelf btw? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I just finished The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown and am waiting for my next book to arrive AI for Marketers: An Introduction and Primer by Christopher Penn.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Today is International Book Day so I thought it might be nice for us to share with each other the books we’re reading at the moment :nerd:  What is it about, what so you think of it, and who would you recommend it to?

I’ll start: the book I’ve got on the go (which was a Christmas present – I’m a slow reader) is called “The Midnight Library” by Matt Haig.

It’s about a woman who dies (not a spoiler alert, she dies at the start) and is offered the chance (by a mystical librarian) to come back and jump into any version of the other possible lives she could have lived had she made different decisions along the way.

It’s quite a funny book but also gets you thinking. I started wondering what the version of me who jumped into my version of his (or her?) life would think about my version. I came to the conclusion that they’d probably quite like it, which made me feel very grateful for what I’ve got. Now, had they jumped in a few years ago that would have been a different story...they would have probably choked on their/my stale banana sandwich. 

I’d definitely recommend this book to anyone who wonders what could have been and/or what might become of them. 

7 on 10

I would LOVE this book, @James . I’ve never heard of it but I’ve wondered at different points in my life if I would have chosen something different what my life would look like now. Very cool!! Thanks for sharing the title with us. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@john.desborough sounds like a canny and well thought out approach to reading :nerd: – what’s on the appreciation shelf btw? 

@James - at the moment, the next books on the appreciation shelf, after A Cue for Treason, a some re-reads Catch-22, A Prayer for Owen Meany (and the rest of the John Irving books) and then some newer ones: Kite Runner and The Wasp Factory.  I think i have about 1500 books in the library here at home and we are only about 200 meters from the public library and I still have a valid library card!… always lots to read

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough added that book to my list!

@James The 4 Hour Work Week is definitely a lot of ‘outsource everything,’ but I kind of need to read that for my side gig because I’m terrible at asking for help ha! One thing I like about it is the author talks about taking mini-retirements throughout life instead of waiting until you’re 55 to take time off. This could be more relatable to Americans who never take time off, but still worth the read!

@vickioneill What did you think of those books? Those sound interesting - also adding to my list! 

Also, I finished both the book and TV series for Normal People this weekend and basically cried the entire weekend, in case anyone wants those feelings ha! Highly recommend. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough added that book to my list!

@James The 4 Hour Work Week is definitely a lot of ‘outsource everything,’ but I kind of need to read that for my side gig because I’m terrible at asking for help ha! One thing I like about it is the author talks about taking mini-retirements throughout life instead of waiting until you’re 55 to take time off. This could be more relatable to Americans who never take time off, but still worth the read!

@vickioneill What did you think of those books? Those sound interesting - also adding to my list! 

Also, I finished both the book and TV series for Normal People this weekend and basically cried the entire weekend, in case anyone wants those feelings ha! Highly recommend. 

I’ll have to give Normal People a look. We all need a good cry every once in awhile, @Liz :)

I’m a huge fan of Brene Brown. She really knows how to connect the dots between our thoughts and actions (the pscyhology) and how we can make change toward reaching goals. It was a great book that I highly recommend :) I haven’t read the AI for Marketing book yet. Christopher Penn is very insightful on marketing and data as well as how to use that data. Since AI is all about data and patterns, I’ve excited about learning a lot. I’ll let you know how it is! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah, it sounds exciting! AI is one of those things I really want to learn more about but also sounds super intimidating. Have you watched any of the Brene Brown Netflix specials (I think she has them), @vickioneill ? I haven’t yet but wondered if they’re any good or if her books are more worthwhile!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah, it sounds exciting! AI is one of those things I really want to learn more about but also sounds super intimidating. Have you watched any of the Brene Brown Netflix specials (I think she has them), @vickioneill ? I haven’t yet but wondered if they’re any good or if her books are more worthwhile!

Oh my gosh, Brene Brown is a phenomenal speaker. I’ve seen her Netflix special and watched her Ted Talk. If you like her books, you’ll like her even more in video, @Liz !

Yes, AI can be intimidating! When I think of AI as historical data that gets more accurate over time as additional data is collected, it makes more sense in how it can be used. When patterns are developed over time that’s when the auto intelligence (or artificial intelligence haha) kicks in.

I’m worried this book is going to be over my head though lol I’ll let you know!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yeah, it sounds exciting! AI is one of those things I really want to learn more about but also sounds super intimidating. Have you watched any of the Brene Brown Netflix specials (I think she has them), @vickioneill ? I haven’t yet but wondered if they’re any good or if her books are more worthwhile!

Oh my gosh, Brene Brown is a phenomenal speaker. I’ve seen her Netflix special and watched her Ted Talk. If you like her books, you’ll like her even more in video, @Liz !

Yes, AI can be intimidating! When I think of AI as historical data that gets more accurate over time as additional data is collected, it makes more sense in how it can be used. When patterns are developed over time that’s when the auto intelligence (or artificial intelligence haha) kicks in.

I’m worried this book is going to be over my head though lol I’ll let you know!!

@vickioneill just make sure that they review data quality in there lol (my real day-time gig) - if you can’t trust the quality of the data that is being fed into the AI/ML systems, then how can you trust the outputs/decisions?? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oh my gosh, Brene Brown is a phenomenal speaker. I’ve seen her Netflix special and watched her Ted Talk. If you like her books, you’ll like her even more in video, @Liz !

@vickioneill just make sure that they review data quality in there lol (my real day-time gig) - if you can’t trust the quality of the data that is being fed into the AI/ML systems, then how can you trust the outputs/decisions?? 

You nailed it, John!! So true. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ok, you’ve convinced me @vickioneill . I’ll watch Brene Brown’s Netflix special this weekend!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I can’t wait to hear back, @Liz !!