Answered

UTM tracking if typeform is not on the landing page

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I would like to save UTM tags into typeform. I know that this is possible and how to add the tags to an embedded typeform (data-transferable-url-parameters="utm_source, utm_medium")

But this solution is just working, if the typeform is on the main landing page. Because after the user clicks to an internal link, the utm paremeters in the url are gone. So there would be no url-paremeters to transfer to typeform..

This is how it looks like for me:

Multiple blog articles (utm tags here) with internal link to typeform landing page → typeform landing page (utm tags are gone) → redirection

If the typeform would be embedded on those blog articles, I could use the “data-transferable-url-paremeters”. But how is it possible to save utm tags, if the typeform is not on the main landing page?

Any ideas how to solve this? Maybe add utm tags as cookies and let typeform read it from there?

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Philipp

icon

Best answer by Liz 7 May 2021, 18:32

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Philipp Thanks for stopping by! If you’re linking the typeform into a blog post, you’ll need to write a code (usually using Javascript) to pass the data into the Typeform hidden fields. Would you mind sharing an example of the page where the form link is located so I can take a look? I think we may have some example code of this on the community - I’ll search for it in the meantime! 

Userlevel 2

Hi Liz,

thanks for your reply. I just created a video to explain and to show you my problem:

Thank you! :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Philipp thank you!! If you haven’t already, I would first suggest adding hidden fields to the form and your URLs to pass information through. While we don’t have any set code we can provide, you can also use Javascript to pass the information from the first page to the typeform hidden fields into the following pages. Additionally, I’d suggest using Google Analytics to track funnels to see which pages your respondents are coming from and where they’re dropping off or continuing. 

I know that isn’t a terribly straightforward answer, but hopefully that helps give you a start!

Hello I got the same situation but I have difficulties writing the javascript code. Would you have an exemple to share please ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Easyblue The Javascript code will really vary depending on where you’re passing the information in from. Could you provide us more information about where you’re grabbing the data and how you’re directing respondents to your form?