Answered

Calendly is hurting my Typeform submission rates - simple fix?

• 2 December 2021
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi! Our team has noticed a significant problem with Typeform’s otherwise awesome Calendly integration.

The submission of a calendar event causes many of our users to THINK they have completed their Typeform when they in fact haven't, and have only finished scheduling their appointment (the last step in our Typeform in question, which asks other important questions). This has plummeted our Typeform completion rate, despite people successfully scheduling a Calendly appointment.

As a simple and elegant fix, Is there any way to submit a Typeform scheduling question automatically once the user confirms their Calendly appointment? It seems reduntant to have them schedule via Calendly, then click Submit again outside the Calendly box to advance that given question.

Thanks very much!

icon

Best answer by Liz 8 April 2022, 17:49

View original

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @armun Thanks for reaching out and happy Thursday! I’m afraid there isn’t a way to automatically submit the form - the respondent needs to click the submit button. 

One workaround I’ve seen is customers adding a note into the description of the Calendly block like this: 

Hopefully this helps a little!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks! We’ve already tried that and unfortunately our completion rate is still about half of what it was. I’m going to try to make the language bolder and more explicit for users, but wanted to provide the feedback in case your team finds it helpful.

Appreciate the quick reply!! =)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@armun - one thought you might want to explore - walk the user through the core of your typeform BUT set up your calendly appointment link on a second typeform where you route users via redirect on completion. 

I am testing this with a realtor who has a 3 options as outcomes on his quiz - one to book a meeting, one to get an instant evaluation on a property and one to sign up for his newsletter and new listing updates. 

when the user finishes ‘the quiz’ and scores in the book meeting category they are routed to the second one page form with the calendly question. 

that way, we get the users to end up at the appropriate outcome based on submission and we don’t lose any by booking the meeting ‘too early’ … 

just a thought

des

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @john.desborough, great thought. I’ll give this a shot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Let us know how that goes for you, @armun !

Same problem here, I'll give this solution a shot, but it would be amazing to have an option of submitting the Form when scheduling a meeting

Badge +2

@armun I just wanted to echo Liz’s request for feedback on the solution. Is it working well for you? 

Would it work equally well or better for your situation if the Calendly booking weren’t finalized until the whole Typeform is submitted?

Just seeing if I’m the only one needing that type of adjustment, or if there are others.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sorry for the delay @talon256 -- though imperfect and a slightly more inconvenient path, in that we’re now managing two forms, the solution @john.desborough proffered actually worked great!

I still think the option would be great to have, but good to have the fix in the meantime. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Have you considered to give @john.desborough's suggestion a go? @talon256 

Badge +2

Hi @Gabi Amaral, his workaround suggestion doesn’t fully work (as detailed on this separate thread). For continuity, I can respond here in summary:

The workaround isn’t useful specifically in the integrations context. @john.desborough’s suggestion only works in the context of a Zapier integration as long as the Calendly app integration is all by itself in a separate form. At that point it is more efficient to remove the Calendly app and redirect to the actual Calendly page using hidden tags.

I have to point out what hasn’t been mentioned before that having more than the ‘basic’ plan is a prerequisite to implement @john.desborough’s workaround, so having the Calendly app working without the workaround would be a must for those who aren’t going to invest in a higher tiered plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Glad to hear that worked for you, @armun ! 

As we’ve mentioned, @talon256 , the developers are aware of this, and if we have any updates to the integration, we’ll let you know. Though, I’d still say that @john.desborough ‘s workaround is a great one for the time being! 

Badge +2

@Liz good to know the developers are on it! We’ll be back to build out our Typeform integration once the Calendly app integration gets along better with Zapier. Thanks!

Would be so good to have a fix for this! Or for Typeform to send data from incomplete forms. The Calendly integration is problematic in its current form. 

@armun - one thought you might want to explore - walk the user through the core of your typeform BUT set up your calendly appointment link on a second typeform where you route users via redirect on completion. 

I am testing this with a realtor who has a 3 options as outcomes on his quiz - one to book a meeting, one to get an instant evaluation on a property and one to sign up for his newsletter and new listing updates. 

when the user finishes ‘the quiz’ and scores in the book meeting category they are routed to the second one page form with the calendly question. 

that way, we get the users to end up at the appropriate outcome based on submission and we don’t lose any by booking the meeting ‘too early’ … 

just a thought

des

I would like to try your work around, John, for the calendly "form not submitted" issue (have already experienced the problem and it is beginning be a real issue the more people are signing up for a meeting with us).

Would you mind very much pointing me in the direction of how I set up my form to open a second form ( the one containing the calendly integration)?

Thanks for considering my request.

Michael

Badge +5

@john.desborough sounds like a request to write a mini guide 👆🏽

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@mkagan - to avoid re-writing a whole bunch of stuff that has already been written, this is based on two concepts/functions: redirect upon completion and the passing of hidden fields between forms (in this case collecting name and email from the user in the first form then redirecting to the second form with the name and email added as hidden fields to the url that is used for redirection)

if you do a search in the Community and in the Help Centre articles, you will find posts and instructions in here that will help you do that.. 

@Gabriel - the mini guides are already in the Help Centre lol.. why reinvent the wheel?  just sayin’ .. but if you need a specific one for this use case….. 

des

Badge +5

I see! I thought you had built this one for your own use case. Otherwise the help center guides work a treat 🔧

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Gabriel - sorry if i sounded grumpy: I do have a short ‘tips of the day’ video on this (and other things) that will be published at the beginning of March but there are other posts in here that talk about hidden fields and redirection.. 

@mkagan - here’s the sample link

on the first form, i ask only for name and email. These i pass to the second form as hidden variables using the redirect on completion function - see the image below

on the first form i also change the button text for the Submit button - so that it isn’t quite so obvious.. 

on the receiving form - create hidden fields in the advanced logic area to be the ‘buckets’ into which the data from the url will be dumped. 

then create your calendly question with integration - and select the data fields to be autofilled, as per the image below

NOTE that on the calendly question form i also change the ‘submit’ button text to a reminder message to click the button once the calendly meeting is booked. 

that’s my mini-guide for the moment.. lol.. send a $2 donation via paypal - it will go straight to a charity. 

des

@john.desborough  worked like a charm! Thank you so much for drawing it out (literally!) step by step.

“that’s my mini-guide for the moment.. lol.. send a $2 donation via paypal - it will go straight to a charity.”

Two questions:

1. can I venmo you? (I don’t use paypal)
  2. is the charity called the John Desborough scotch eduction fund?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

lol.. @mkagan - i send it off to Kiva - micro loans to folks lol.. just make a donation to your fave charity.. 

or pay it forward with a coffee for someone behind you in the line at the coffee shop.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @armun popping by this Friday to let you know that our product team is slowly rolling out a solution to fix the submission issue! :grin: I’ll let you know when it’s fully released. 

@john.desborough @Daniel Paiva @talon256 @mkagan @Dean 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

woohoo!

ok.. that may sound sarcastic .. but it isn’t meant to be..  hope it meets the needs/most of them anyway for the majority of folks. 

i better make another coffee or two.. 

happy friday y’all

des

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @Liz glad to hear and appreciate it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I think it will, @john.desborough !! :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Very delayed (I thought I found all the Calendly threads to update!), but we have released a solution for Calendly. Read more about it below! @armun @talon256 @mkagan @Daniel Paiva @Dean