Answered

How to know the Google keywords each response came from

Userlevel 1

I'm having some difficulty properly tracking submissions on Google Ads using Typeform.

I have ads that direct to a landing page, where i’ve embedded the Typeform button.

Ad gets shown ---> Landing Page ---> Typeform

I assumed that it wasn't registering the form submissions because of this 3 step process and it was registering a submission as coming directly to it (not through the ad). So I used tag manager conversion linker, but still to no avail. I already setup the UTM tracking and still no info.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Liz 10 March 2021, 22:17

View original

45 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Sebastian Munoz :) Tracking conversions in Google Ads is definitely useful for figuring out if your ads are working or not!

While we don’t have native support for Google Adwords, I can offer a workaround for that may be of use.  The downside is that if you add any custom code to this workaround, we might not be able to troubleshoot it, but we’ll try as best we can!

You should be able to follow these steps:

1. Install Analytics on the Typeform

2. Create a goal based on the "On Submit" Event on Typeform

3. Connect Analytics Goals To Google Ads

Let me know if you have any troubles with this setup!

Userlevel 1

Hi Liz, thank you for your response!

So yes. I actually already had all this setup. But for some reason I can’t know the source of the lead. For example, in this next screenshots I am trying to identify from which page each visit to my typeform came from. Or what is their source. But the information is not here. 

What would be ideal for me would be to know what keyword, adgroup and campaign drove each typeform submit. That way I could know which of my campaigns are performing better.

Thank you for helping out!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Sebastian Munoz ah, got it - thanks for the screenshot! You’ll need to add the UTM parameters into your Typeform in order to track the source. We have a great walkthrough below that can help! Let me know if you get stuck at any part setting this up. 

Userlevel 1

@Sebastian Munoz I am experiencing the same issue as you.

The question is guess is how can we get UTM from AdWords to Landing Page to Typeform (embedded) to Analytics (and back to AdWords)?

Userlevel 1
Thank you again for your response Liz, and actually I already had it activated, but for some reason it always comes empty. I’m not sure of why this happens. I have the Typeform button embedded into my webpage rutopia.com.

I’m having the exact same problem as Sebastian. Been wrestling with this for weeks. Not only can I not get any info RE: lead source pushing through to my CRM (despite having activated UTM tracking) but I’m also unable to track conversions in Adwords. Please help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Vlab and @Sebastian Munoz ! The UTM variables are in our settings, but you’ll still need to pass the data into the form. 

When you share your typeform, modify those values to contain information related to your hidden fields and those will show in Google Analytics. Here is an example of how the data should appear below:

https://hellothere.typeform.com/to/t6YZgb?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=online_marketing&utm_campaign=summer

If you have the form embedded on your site, you’ll want to go to the embedded code snippet and add the following part to the code you pasted in your website. :

data-transferable-url-parameters="utm_source, utm_medium"

Try not to break the code. Add it after data-mode="your embed mode" or after the Typeform URL just as in the screenshot below. 

?name=inline-1791143094.png

Let me know if this doesn’t work!

Userlevel 1

Hi @Vlab and @Sebastian Munoz ! The UTM variables are in our settings, but you’ll still need to pass the data into the form. 

When you share your typeform, modify those values to contain information related to your hidden fields and those will show in Google Analytics. Here is an example of how the data should appear below:

https://hellothere.typeform.com/to/t6YZgb?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=online_marketing&utm_campaign=summer

If you have the form embedded on your site, you’ll want to go to the embedded code snippet and add the following part to the code you pasted in your website. :

data-transferable-url-parameters="utm_source, utm_medium"

Try not to break the code. Add it after data-mode="your embed mode" or after the Typeform URL just as in the screenshot below. 

?name=inline-1791143094.png

Let me know if this doesn’t work!

Hi Liz, 

What if we have multiple campaigns running to the same page where the form is embedded? Or if the same form is embedded on multiple pages with different sources of traffic?

For example if there is a Display Campaign, Retargeting Campaign, and Search Campaign all driving traffic to the same page with 1 embedded form. How will we know which campaign resulted in a form completion?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @popoff as long as your campaigns are passing in the UTM variables, this setup above should capture them!

Userlevel 1

Liz, thank you for the attention: I did everything you told me. But it still doesn’t work. I added the code into my embedded button (screenshot 1) but the leads still don’t collect the UTM variables that I am looking for (screenshot 2). Actually I left it running some days to capture more information and still no info, it only shows a couple of xxxx. What else do you think could be done to collect this information?

The webpage where I use Typeform to collect my leads is https://rutopia.com/en/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Sebastian Munoz when passing the UTM variables into the Typeform, you’ll also want to be sure that those hidden fields are on your website URL, too. For example, this URL: https://rutopia.com/en/

needs to also have the UTM variables being passed from somewhere, such as your Google Ads. Let me know if that doesn’t work!

Badge +1

@liz

How to pass GCLID info to the Typeform and then to GA ?? 
Which part should we add to the typeform embed code??

Badge +1

@liz

How to pass GCLID info to the Typeform and then to GA ?? 
Which part should we add to the typeform embed code??

<a class="typeform-share button" href="https://form.typeform.com/to/kMYymiXY?utm_source=xxxxx&utm_medium=xxxxx&typeform-medium=embed-snippet#gclid=xxxxx" data-mode="popup"data-transferable-url-parameters="gclid, utm_source, utm_medium" style="display:inline-block;text-decoration:none;background-color:#F3CD59;color:white;cursor:pointer;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:25px;line-height:62.5px;text-align:center;margin:0;height:62.5px;padding:0px 41px;border-radius:31px;max-width:100%;white-space:nowrap;overflow:hidden;text-overflow:ellipsis;font-weight:bold;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;-moz-osx-font-smoothing:grayscale;" data-size="100" target="_blank">FREE FOOT CHECK </a> <script> (function() { var qs,js,q,s,d=document, gi=d.getElementById, ce=d.createElement, gt=d.getElementsByTagName, id="typef_orm_share", b="https://embed.typeform.com/"; if(!gi.call(d,id)){ js=ce.call(d,"script"); js.id=id; js.src=b+"embed.js"; q=gt.call(d,"script")[0]; q.parentNode.insertBefore(js,q) } })() </script>

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Antonin Almost right! You just need to move around a few items so the beginning of your code looks like this: 

<a class="typeform-share button" href="https://form.typeform.com/to/kMYymiXY?utm_source=xxxxx&utm_medium=xxxxx&typeform-medium=embed-snippet#gclid=xxxxx" data-transferable-url-parameters="gclid, utm_source, utm_medium" data-mode="popup"

Badge +1

@Liz Even if I already added after the “popup”? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Antonin in my code above, I flip-flopped the two so the ‘data-transferable’ piece comes before the popup portion. :grinning:

Olá, li todas postagens do forúm já sobre isso e ainda não consegui resolver.
Estou com o mesmo problema do Sebastian.

Meu formulário está embeedado ná página, a URL da minha página está com as UTM`s, e meu código está assim: 

<div class="typeform-widget" data-url="https://form.typeform.com/to/QMCN63X5?utm_source=xxxxx&utm_medium=xxxxx&utm_campaign=xxxxx&utm_term=xxxxx&utm_content=xxxxx&typeform-medium=embed-snippet" data-transferable-url-parameters="utm_source, utm_medium, utm_campaign, utm_term, utm_content” style="width: 100%; height: 450px;"></div> <script> (function() { var qs,js,q,s,d=document, gi=d.getElementById, ce=d.createElement, gt=d.getElementsByTagName, id="typef_orm", b="https://embed.typeform.com/"; if(!gi.call(d,id)) { js=ce.call(d,"script"); js.id=id; js.src=b+"embed.js"; q=gt.call(d,"script")[0]; q.parentNode.insertBefore(js,q) } })() </script>

Onde está o erro? as UTMS la na resposta estão vindo com o xxxxx ainda.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Marco Lopes Thanks for stopping by the community! The language of the community is English, so I hope you don’t mind my reply in English. 

Would you mind sharing a bit more? Are any of the parameters passing? Additionally, could you share the URL where you have the form embedded? Thanks!

I want to pass in the UTM parameters dynamically, The guide has been viewed and tested several times, but the UTM parameters are still not tracked. After all, 'UTM tracking' in 'typeform' is a static parameter, so do I have to set the parameter manually?

This is the guide I referred to.

https://community.typeform.com/your-typeform-results-32/are-we-able-to-find-out-the-traffic-source-when-people-visit-the-forms-114?postid=481#post481

https://community.typeform.com/integrate-your-typeform-43/how-to-know-the-google-keywords-each-response-came-from-573

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @elly Thanks for stopping by! Can you share the URL where you have the form embedded so I can take a look at the code? 

Badge

I want to know which keyword (from google ads) generated which response (on typeform). How can I do that? If anyone could explain me the process from start to finish, that would be really grateful 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @inc0ntr0l! Welcome to the Typeform Community! :four_leaf_clover:

I've moved your question to this thread since you're talking about the same topic. Over here, my friend @Liz suggested a workaround that might help you. :wink:

Let us know if you need anything else! Have an amazing day! :sunny:

Badge

@Gabi Amaral Thank you, however im not sure if those parameters (medium, source) are enough to track search terms from google ads? Am I going to see them inside analytics if i do this?

(e.g if someone types in “interior design” in google, sees my ad, clicks on it, fills out the typeform (survey). I want to see which search term generated which response (in this example its “interior design”). 

NOTE: I’ve already tried importing UTM parameters with my “squarespace” based website, but for some reason the code does not work. The only way the code works is if I use “custom hidden fields”.

Badge

Forgot to add:

The people who visit my site through google, they visit the landing page first, after that they have an option to fill out the survey. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @inc0ntr0l

Yes, I'm not sure either. :thinking:

However, if they visit your landing page first through google, not your form directly, then I don't think you'd be able to see these keywords through your form results. 

I'm tagging @picsoung here. Maybe he can have some insights on this! :wink: