Answered

How to "set up cookies correctly" in order to use typeform events (ie TypeformSubmit event) in Google Tag Manager for GAds conversion tracking

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello team!

So my question is related to this article: 

https://help.typeform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029583611-How-to-add-Google-Tag-Manager-to-a-typeform

My purpose is to track typeform forms submission. So here are the steps to follow (I guess):

• Connect typeform to GTM
  • Create a Google Ads conversion tag on GTM
  • Trigger the tag with a custom event, which is “TypeformSubmit event”

So far, I’ve done those steps but it didn’t work since my typeform is embedded in my web app, and “the cookies aren’t set correctly” as mentioned in the article.

“Note! Embedded typeforms won't work if your cookies aren't set up correctly. You can find some tips about how to set up your cookies the right way here and here.”

So my question is:
How to set up correctly those cookies in order to get the typeform custom events ?

Thanks for your time/help !

icon

Best answer by alix 19 April 2021, 11:16

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @alix thanks for stopping by! Both of those articles have steps to setup the cookies correctly - are you stuck on any particular step? If so, would you mind sending a screenshot or video? That will help us know exactly how to help!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @Liz, thanks for the reply!
So I figured out how to set the cookies correctly, since I can now see the events on the GA dashboard:

However, when I’m in preview mode on Google Tag Manager (GTM), I can’t see the custom event TypeformSubmit after I submit my typeform. 
This custom event would trigger my Google Ads tag on GTM. But since I’m not getting the event, the tag is never triggered.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@alix Would you mind sharing the link where you have the form embedded? I can test the form to be sure the data is sending correctly first. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sure, here’s the link:
https://www.mondaycar.com/fr/voitures
You can either use the pinky popover at the bottom right corner, or the large pinky boxes as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @alix ooo! This is a cool service. I’ll need to use something like this when I’m back in France...whenever that may be now. :joy:

I tried to test the form on your site, but there are a lot of scripts running that are preventing me from testing it correctly, so I wasn’t able to see if the event passed through. Though, when I initially starting testing the form, I did see TypeformQuestionPassed sending through Google Analytics. Would you mind checking GA to see if a Typeform Submit event appeared? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @Liz ! Thanks again for your time :pray_tone2:
I’ve checked Behaviour > Events > Top Events on GA and I can confirm that the two typeform events appear there. 

So basically my purpose of using the TypeformSubmit event is to track my Google Ads.

I’m following the steps that you wrote under How can I track my Google Ads in Typeform? section in the FAQSo far I’ve integrated GA on Typeform and created a goal based on the TypeformSubmit event.

The last step is to import the goal into Google Ads. I’m not really sure how to do so. It would be great if you could give me a hint! (and if possible to confirm if I’m on the right way according to what I’ve done so far :relaxed:)

Another issue that I’ve spotted on GA is that when a user is using the typeform on the website, we actually have 2 sessions of GA for that user. I guess it’s due to cross domain tracking.
Is there a way to merge those 2 sessions in order to only have one tracking session per user ?

Thank you very much :pray_tone2:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @alix Ah perfect! Glad the event data is passing through. 

To send the goals from Analytics to ads, you’ll want to follow the steps below: 

1. Sign in to your Google Ads account, and click the Tools icon in the header. Note: If you just recently linked your Google Ads and Analytics accounts, wait 30 minutes before starting to import goals.
  2. Click Measurement > Conversions.
  3. Click Add.
  4. Click Import, select Google Analytics, then click CONTINUE.
  5. Select each goal or transaction you want to import, then click IMPORT AND CONTINUE.
  6. Click DONE.

Let me know if you run into any troubles with that!

As for the data appearing twice, this is expected behavior with the embedded Typeform, but using the filters should help decipher between the embed and the webpage.

Also, thank you for including the screenshots! Super helpful. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Liz !
Following the instructions in Google Ads dashboard, I couldn’t find any GA goals to import :

PS: My Google Ads and Analytics accounts are linked, as shown in the screenshot below.

Am I missing something here ?

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@alix Huh, that is odd. I’m having a colleague take a look at this with me because either I’m missing something totally obvious or there’s something not working correctly. Either way, I’ll have some further help soon!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @Liz ! :hand_splayed_tone1:
Is there any update concerning the issue ? 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @alix - I reached out to a colleague on this, but they’re not sure why this wouldn’t be working either. :( The downside is that we don’t have an integration with Google Ads, so we aren’t able to offer too much guidance here (but there might be someone else in the community that has set this up!). I would also suggest reaching out to Google Adwords to see if they happen to have any further instructions for setting up the two products to connect. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi !
Here’s the response from a Google Ads expert : https://support.google.com/google-ads/thread/105566274?hl=en#

Ultimately, it has solved my issue and my typeform is now tracked correctly.

Thanks @Liz for your great support ! :pray_tone2:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for sharing this, @alix ! Super helpful.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello, it’s me again ! :grin:
So unfortunately, I still got an issue with typeform tracking. Some days after I have imported the Typeform submission goal into Google Ads, I still got No recent conversion tracking status.

And I’m sure that in the last days we got some typeform leads from Google Ads compaigns.
Therefore, I might be missing another step here.

In the last 7 days, Google Analytics recorded 14 conversions of the Typeform submission goal: 

12 of the 14 Typeform leads came from Google ads campaign (referring to my personal sheet). Hence, in Google Ads conversion dashboard, I should expect at leat 12 conversions recorded for the Typeform submission conversion (but as mentioned above, I’m seeing none).

I got a question though:
How would my Typeform submission conversion distinguish between a Typeform lead who comes from a Google Ad, and a random Typeform lead ?
Is it with UTMs ? (if so, then I guess I should activate them in my Typeform template by enabling UTMs tracking, right ?)

Thanks again!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Liz
Here’s an update of what I’ve done so far trying to solve the tracking issue.

First, I’ve enabled UTMs tracking in my typeform:

Then, I’ve changed the typeform popover component as following: 
(Note that I store the utms as cookies, so I get them back as cookies and not from URL query params with data-transferable-url-parameters like mentioned in this post)

Here’s what the component looks like:

I tried that in development mode to see if it solves the issue.

When checking on the typeform responses, I can see the UTMs in my response: 

And still, Google Ads didn’t record any recent conversions. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :pray_tone1:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @alix thanks for sending this over! If you’re not receiving the correct conversions and the data is passing through the hidden fields, it might be best to reach out to Google to have them check inside your ads account to be sure that everything is setup correctly. We’re a bit limited on our end as to what we can see in Google Ads, but hopefully they should be able to look at that for you!