Question

How do I get forms approved?

• 10 February 2021
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 1

My question is how do i set up an approval process where the form that completed gets sent out to more than 1 person to be approved or denied ? Is there a way to do this?

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Avillar Thanks for stopping by the community! :) 

While we don’t have an approval process built into our platform, I have seen some handy workarounds by other customers. Are you looking to have the data from the respondent approved once it’s been submitted or the form itself? 

Userlevel 1

Yes, once the form has been completed and submitted. I would like it to be sent out to an approver.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Avillar Ah, got it! If you have one approver, I would setup self-notifications on the form, which would allow you to add any email to receive an alert once the form has been submitted. 

If you’ll have different approvers for different types of submissions, you could then send an email alert using Zapier’s filters, which would send emails to different people based on the criteria set in the filter. Our guide here can walk you through this setup step by step. 

Would either of these solutions be close to what you’re thinking? 

Userlevel 1

Ohh okay, I can give that a try. Now when the approver approves the form does the client receive an approval notification? Or a denial notification?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Avillar this setup will only send an email to the person you’d like to see their response since we don’t have an approval system setup, but you could have them reply directly to the client to approve/deny the response. It’s not the easiest/most direct way, but I can also note this as a suggestion. :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

One of our partners, ProcessMaker offers an integration that does just that and help you manage approval process. Check it out here

As @Liz pointed, if you wanted to build this flow yourself you probably have to build it using platforms like Zapier or Integromat.

I can see two workflows

Typeform submitted → Sends approval notification to approver
Application approved → send notification to applicant

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@picsoung oo! I didn’t know we had this integration! Thank you!

Badge +5

@picsoung oo! I didn’t know we had this integration! Thank you!

Off topic question, do we have a public integrations directory or something similar? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Gabriel We have a directory here: 

https://www.typeform.com/connect/

There are so many integrations being added all the time by @picsoung , @Francois (Typeform) and the rest of the team!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Gabriel We have a directory here: 

https://www.typeform.com/connect/

There are so many integrations being added all the time by @picsoung , @Francois (Typeform) and the rest of the team!

@Liz @Gabriel @picsoung 

the directory is awesome - i have spent hours in there getting blissfully lost finding ways and getting ideas for new things for where i want to take my ‘projects’ with typeform, in terms of integration. 

It might be worthwhile to look at some use cases, in a library and not just in the blog posts/community posts, that would highlight how a use case would be done with different integration partner tools. Maybe something for the @picsoung Developers’ Corner meetups in the future?? a hackathon of sorts?? 

I mention that cuz it is hard to figure out which (set of) partner products to use to achieve an MVP solution followed by a MVP+1 version, which should be just about good enough, that is cost effective for starting out, growing businesses, established enterprises, etc. ie is Typeform/Hubspot (free) good enough to get you to meet goals 1,2,3?? or should you look at the other CRM-type solutions that were listed in the most recent Product Marketing post in the Community. 

it’s all good, in fact it’s great what has been done so far but it can be a little hard to find the stuff unless you know how to ask the “deer in the headlights” questions here lol.. like me!

</soapbox>

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough what a fun place to get blissfully lost ha! :grinning:  I like the idea of a hackathon sort of thing, too, because even I sometimes forget how many places we integrate with! @picsoung :sunglasses:

Hi;

My question is how do i set up an approval process?

Once the form has been completed and submitted. I would like it to be sent out to an approver.

He or she also can also have  option to approve or deny.

I have use processmaker, workflowtypeform which was mentioned in this forum.

But it doesn’t work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Gokselmen I added your post here where we have some ideas how to get this working for you. What isn’t currently working with your setup? Any screenshots or videos you can send to explain what’s happening would be great! 

I have a form set up that hiring managers are required to submit to onboard new contractor resources. I want to see if we can ask our vendor to complete the form, the manager approves the submittal and then the form is distributed to the correct teams in the company. Thoughts on this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Mike N Thanks for posting in the community! :grinning: I added your post here where we have some solutions. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Userlevel 1

Hi @Avillar 

You can also use zenphi, if you are still looking for a solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Vahid Thanks for this! I’m not seeing in the video an option for someone to approve information. Do you mind showing us how we could do that in this tool? 😀

Userlevel 1

Hi @Liz, my apologies for the naive thinking 😀  (because I work for zenphi, I just assume everyone knows how to do it).

Thanks a lot for pointing it out and here is a video showing how to add an approval task for Typeform. I hope it’s useful 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Vahid Oh! Fancy!! Thank you so much! I appreciate it. This will be handy for quite a few people. 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Nice solution @Vahid 💪

You should put yourself in touch with Typeform Partnership team
Also, let’s update the logo, we don’t use this T anymore 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz @picsoung @Avillar 

i was playing around with this idea about how could I create an “approval process” for a form that was actually inside a typeform. I came up with this little example in about 10 minutes. 

it was really just a way to try out the following concept:

• create the typeform i want to have approved 
  • create a second one to ask for approvals page by page
  • the welcome screen of the example has the link to the actual typeform the user would use - they are asked to walk through that demo first
  • then they are presented a question that shows a screen capture of the first page along with a couple of choices: I approve or No
    • No takes the user to a screen to input all the comments and then routes them to the next approval/no question
  • there are 4 of these requests to approve questions as there are 4 pages in the subject typeform
  • if all for are approved you get a statement screen that says ‘all approved’ and goes to an email question to record the reviewer’s email (i would send a notice to both the typeform admin/creator in this case and to the reviewer)
  • if one or more are NOT approved, you get a different statement screen and then the email question

you could email this to as many folk as necessary in the review and approve chain as required and have all the data recorded in a connected google sheet

if this was a more robust solution example, i would connect it to a google sheet and use Google Docs to send out a ‘decision doc’ to the reviewer and creator with the feedback and send the deets off to (in my case) a Trello workflow to either push further in the deployment workstream or to rework the form. 

yes - it is a manual process to take the screen caps - i could have played with the image quality and size to make it more readable - BUT it really comes down to duplicating the two questions related to each question in the form up for review and then changing the logic routing manually for more pages. (i would probably start by building out a template version to address 50 question pairs and save that as my base and for every time i had to to do it i could remove excess questions while maintaining the logic flow integrity. 

just a thought/example that bubbled up after a late night double espresso.. 

cheers

des

Userlevel 1

Thanks a lot @picsoung . I have passed this on to the product team to update the logo :)