🤔[WDYT] picked orange as the primary community colour, how do you feel about it?

• 11 November 2020
  • 25 replies

Badge +5

It took me a couple of days to get used to it, but I really like orange as the ‘official community colour’. 

It wasn’t until I saw it on the community sign up typeform that I realised how warm and powerful this colour is. 

Maybe @Pieter de Groot can share his thinking behind it and how it combines with other secondary colours for the community. 

What do you think?

Pieter de Groot 3 years ago

Really good to get all the positive feedback on our palette so far, thanks community. 

On the development of our color palette
Colors influence us on a daily basis, most of the time unconsciously, like the transition from sunrise to sunset. Where sunrise is full of new life and energy, the sunset brings calm. For our primary color palette we took inspiration from the sunny side of this spectrum and also our home, Barcelona which welcomes the world with its energy and warmth. This is something we wanted our community to do as well, be a welcoming place full of energy and life, a place where our community would feel at home.

We look forward to seeing how our palette evolves with our community. Thanks for joining us on this journey.

View original

25 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I like orange! It’s a calm but vibrant color, I think it’s a great choice for the community!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I agree with @marta I really like the orange. And it’s not even a color I like in general, it feels fresh and fun in the community!

Userlevel 2

I like the vibrancy of Orange. I looked up what the colour represents and found this: “Orange combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It is associated with joy, sunshine, and the tropics. Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation. ... In heraldry, orange is symbolic of strength and endurance.”

I think this is very suitable for Community!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I find the one at the top not so good but I like the soft one :) Explained here: 

https://share.getcloudapp.com/6quPj9PW

Userlevel 2

@Nordin I think having two different tones is a good idea though, do you agree? 

Userlevel 3

It reminds me a little bit of Excel's pre-made table color palettes but not in a bad way. It's easy on the eye! Would dark mode be possible?

Also could be really cool to add different themes based on time of year. Can make it snowy for December, spooky for Halloween, etc. My brain is going back to MySpace days immediately. :sweat_smile:

Badge +5

I like the vibrancy of Orange. I looked up what the colour represents and found this: “Orange combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It is associated with joy, sunshine, and the tropics. Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation. ... In heraldry, orange is symbolic of strength and endurance.”

I think this is very suitable for Community!

Love this! I’ll try to get @Pieter de Groot to write a post about his thinking and vision for community visual design, I think It’ll be really interesting to hear from him. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I love the :tangerine:  too. Also I was wondering if maybe we could get some orange in the header graphic on the alerts notification emails. At the moment they are primarily blue, which feels kinda off brand, what do people think?

Badge +5

I love the :tangerine:  too. Also I was wondering if maybe we could get some orange in the header graphic on the alerts notification emails. At the moment they are primarily blue, which feels kinda off brand, what do people think?

Im working on is we speak, but we’ll use the secondary colour, the green :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Im working on is we speak, but we’ll use the secondary colour, the green :D

Perfect :green_apple: :)

Userlevel 1

Really good to get all the positive feedback on our palette so far, thanks community. 

On the development of our color palette
Colors influence us on a daily basis, most of the time unconsciously, like the transition from sunrise to sunset. Where sunrise is full of new life and energy, the sunset brings calm. For our primary color palette we took inspiration from the sunny side of this spectrum and also our home, Barcelona which welcomes the world with its energy and warmth. This is something we wanted our community to do as well, be a welcoming place full of energy and life, a place where our community would feel at home.

We look forward to seeing how our palette evolves with our community. Thanks for joining us on this journey.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for sharing this Pieter it’s consistent with what I found online as well! Love it. 

Badge +5

Hey @Pieter de Groot. I’ve realised my Barcelona home has the beautiful community community orange around the windows. This cannot be a coincidence! :joy:

And the primary colour is the community background colour too. Have you also designed parts of the city?

I like it a lot as well!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi all!

I agree with @nordin with the soft peach, it makes me feel so much better.

The idea behind the main colour is great, but when it comes to real sensations it doesn’t work very weel, maybe for the associations with other orange brands - Repsol, ING, (I am aware it is not the same pantone but the mind makes a click).

But when this tone is associated with another or pictures, works better and you can really feel this human warmth. 

What really doen´t work for me is the use on the heather. This colour is quite heavy, maybe this is another reason…

But these are just subjective thoughts. 

Badge +5

Hi all!

I agree with @nordin with the soft peach, it makes me feel so much better.

The idea behind the main colour is great, but when it comes to real sensations it doesn’t work very weel, maybe for the associations with other orange brands - Repsol, ING, (I am aware it is not the same pantone but the mind makes a click).

But when this tone is associated with another or pictures, works better and you can really feel this human warmth. 

What really doen´t work for me is the use on the heather. This colour is quite heavy, maybe this is another reason…

But these are just subjective thoughts. 

That’s great feedback @Rocío. Definitely something to bear in mind, I think orange can be warm but also aggressive. As I wrote in another post, we are still working on the community design and colours, so we’ll use your comments when we plan next steps. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

Userlevel 2

For me the colors are ok, however the salmon color would be cool if it is a little more brilliant. 

Badge +5

For me the colors are ok, however the salmon color would be cool if it is a little more brilliant. 

Welcome Valky! Which one is the salmon colour to you? The light orange? 

Userlevel 2

Jajaja yes the light orange, I am not very happy with it because it does not foster activity but calmness. and ideas need a little bit different energy

Badge +5

Jajaja yes the light orange, I am not very happy with it because it does not foster activity but calmness. and ideas need a little bit different energy

This is really interesting, the bright orange may be a bit too much for some but the light one too calm. I imagine the point is to create a balance, but maybe there's a different way to achieve that balance between energy and calmness. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Red/Yellow is a good for community, drive, joy, sunshine, vibrant as primary foundation and then we develop into the secondaries.

Orange relates to therapies, and for the most part good feelings, emotions, creativity and well-being, since its a sacral chakra colour. Orange fosters interdependence.

Yellow plates to learning, studies, knowledge, as a solar plexus chakra colour, we connect it to intellect. Yellow being the colour of the sun, fosters assimilation. 

Badge +5

Red/Yellow is a good for community, drive, joy, sunshine, vibrant as primary foundation and then we develop into the secondaries.

Orange relates to therapies, and for the most part good feelings, emotions, creativity and well-being, since its a sacral chakra colour. Orange fosters interdependence.

Yellow plates to learning, studies, knowledge, as a solar plexus chakra colour, we connect it to intellect. Yellow being the colour of the sun, fosters assimilation. 

Wow, this thread is becoming so interesting. Thanks for sharing that. Our designer, Pieter, will be pleased to see so much engagement around the community style and design. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yay! This seems to be perfect for our community :blush:

I agree with @marta I really like the orange. And it’s not even a color I like in general, it feels fresh and fun in the community!

Yes

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I cannot believe I am only now discovering this discussion! I gotta jump in with my bit immediately :smile: .

I have to say that I am loving the orange. And I generally tend to not be a huge fan of the colour, believe you me. I like how this particular shade is warm and not at all aggressive on the eyes :sunglasses: 

I remember joining the community back in Winter and immediately thinking ‘Of course it’s orange, cos Barcelona!’ :sunny::sun_with_face: