Meaningful

[MEANINGFUL MONDAYS] What brands are meaningful?

• 15 February 2021
  • 7 replies
[MEANINGFUL MONDAYS] What brands are meaningful?
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
  • Director of Brand at Typeform
  • 13 replies

Morning everyone!

Happy Monday. Picking up from where we left off last week, here are some examples of what I consider to be meaningful brands:

Brands that make their community a better place include:

• Salesforce

• TOMS Shoes

• Warby Parker

Ultimately this is what we're aiming for, too. More on that next week, when I'll explain why care so much about being meaningful in 2021. Hit the 'Subscribe' button in the Tips & Inspiration section to get notified when it gets posted.

💡 What brands do a great job of reflecting back the values that you care about? What actions could you take that won't kill your budget or use up all your time that would contribute to a better world?

Searching for a more meaningful future? Check out the talks from the Meaningful by Typeform event we hosted in November. Among the many topics discussed were:

7 replies

Badge +5

Nice post, Paul. Thanks for getting the conversation going again!

I love the concept of Social Enterprise companies, I believe TOM Shoes is one of them. Another good one is Blanket America

I worked in the Telco industry for some time, and Fairphone (in The Netherlands) is a company I always admired, it’s all about recycling phones - as you know some of their components are quite damaging for both people and the environment. 

Some time ago I mentioned to you the concept of Doughnut Economics by Kate Raworth. Quick video below to explain her economic model. 

I encourage others mention other brands doing good in the world, the more exposure they get the better :raised_hands_tone4:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@paul one brand that has always resonated with me is the cosmetics company Lush. I remember their first store opening in the town I was living in (Bournemouth, UK) in the 90s. The shop was a crazy, heavenly smelling mess of multicolored organic goo as far as the eye could see. It all smelled and looked gorgeously fresh and edible. It was all wonderfully "hippy" and the staff were weird and delightfully friendly. Being in there just gave you a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I've never really thought about their values but just googled them.  They have six – all of them are values that I share (though veganism is a tough nut to crack - pun intended). Also, none of them came as a surprise to read.  In fact 25 years ago in that first little shop I would have said the store owner (can't remember his name but I guess he's now very wealthy) had those same values. So in Lush's case by them simply "living the brand" they were able to build something meaningful and successful. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@paul @James @Gabriel 

great points and companies that you brought forward. 

Though they come to the party “late”, LEGO has done a tremendous amount since Greenpeace called them out in a 2014 video - to end their partnership with Shell). They have reduced their carbon footprint and are working towards 100 percent renewable energy capacity by 2030. They have created the LEGO Sustainable Materials Center to find sustainable alternatives to their current materials and packaging. 

While these are not the same give-backs that Warby Parker or TOMS are doing, it is an example of how a huge brand that is coming to realize it has a broader social responsibility in the world. As an AFOL - adult fan of LEGO - I grew up with literally thousands of blocks, making castles, forts and cityscapes and have walked on my share of pieces with two rounds of children playing with LEGO. I don’t see them going away as a brand any time soon and I am energized by what they are continuing to do to ensure that they can provide people with imaginative play opportunities for years to come. 

@paul - thanks for posting the links to the Meaningful by Typeform talks. I had missed that event and they are really informative. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

LEGO is a great shout @john.desborough, I too am a AFOL and also bear the scars of dimpled plastic. Have you seen the LEGO House documentary about how they designed and built their HQ in Denmark? It's really interesting and touching to see how much the CEO still cares about staying true to the values of the company his grandfather created. It also made me wish my granddad had thought of it.

Badge +5

Lego! My house is full of them, my 2 year old son loves them. Didn’t know about their partnership with Shell story, really interesting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

LEGO is a great shout @john.desborough, I too am a AFOL and also bear the scars of dimpled plastic. Have you seen the LEGO House documentary about how they designed and built their HQ in Denmark? It's really interesting and touching to see how much the CEO still cares about staying true to the values of the company his grandfather created. It also made me wish my granddad had thought of it.

@James - my 30/25 year old spawn had mountains of LEGO.. there was an exhibition at one of the museums in Ottawa by LEGO that included a 30 foot high octopus - we watched them building it one day - and at the end of the exhibition, they sold off the LEGO at $10 per big Rubbermaid bin of pieces. I bought 10 of them lol.. The 25 year old was also a Star Wars fan so we also had all the kits available (up until 2007) - his mom still has them all and has rebuilt them all during the lockdown - and he is waiting until he has a  place big enough to rescue them from his mom. My 5 yr old daughter is grumpy at me because i have the Millenium Falcon UCS still in a box and I will not build it with her … I have tried to explain that I am waiting till i have a week of spare time to sit down and build it.. lol.. 

Yes on the documentary - it is on the bucket list to visit with both generations of the kids. It was so amazing to see the child-like love of product and interactions with the children by the CEO - and it seems that his son has the same family love as well. 

@Gabriel - it only gets ‘more’ .. lol.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@James I love Lush!!!!

@john.desborough I had no idea how much Legos did behind the scenes - thanks for sharing this! I loved legos as a kid, and it’s cool to now know more about how they’re giving back to the world. Definitely going to watch the documentary over the weekend!

In my past life, I worked a couple different roles at Apple Corp and retail, and I’ve always been inspired with how they bring meaning to everything they do, even the features they build into their product that require a ton of research yet most people don’t notice (especially in regards to accessibility). Apple paves the way for their overseas employees by offering benefits like free education to every employee at their factories amongst other benefits. I don’t know another company manufacturing in that part of the world that even bothers to care whatsoever about the employees abroad. They also have a volunteering program for retail employees in which every hour they do a volunteer event together, they donate $25 per hour, per person that volunteered to the organization. 

Another company I’ve been really inspired by is Wildfang, which is a clothing company that essentially creates more “manly” clothing for those identifying as women. Not only are they making strides with how they shape clothing perceptions, but they also use their brand to donate back to charities that support immigrants, reproductive rights and woman/human’s rights. It’s really, really cool what they’re doing and how they’re doing it so well. 

Thanks for starting this thread, @paul !!