[TIP] When should you share a form? 🕓

• 22 January 2021
  • 9 replies
[TIP] When should you share a form? 🕓
Userlevel 2

Picture this: you just finished building your typeform and you’re ready to share it. But you glance at the clock: it's 10PM!! You start to ponder:

• Would my audience find it weird that I send this after work hours? 

• Is there such a thing as the ‘Best time to send a Typeform’?

• Is Typeform’s platform really so delightful that I can’t resist using it until so late?

All of these are very genuine and valid questions, and the answer to all of them is YES. 

While the answer to the last question is obvious, the first two are not. As a Data Scientist here at Typeform I was curious, too. So we crunched some numbers and now have the answers for you right here.

Here is the TLDR version of this post:

• Don’t share forms in the morning, especially on Mondays (Garfield was right!)

• Don’t share forms on the weekend (including Friday evening)

• Don’t share forms during lunch hours (around 12:00 there's a big lull)

• The sweet spot is around 18:00 on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

How do we know all this? Let’s see the numbers:

-AwdHci9ryp08DnCDkkKfxbtbCV19UPF2tXR49684_x1a2h171gFkuqoJoXhu0hn5D1go2ZjsoBsybKVL8q4AcxGnzrDK7JSBfpj_KxCO_vOcW9Fa1V1OrAs7IldMJOzLoJY3wj6

Note about the chart: Time zones are normalized, meaning that a respondent joining a form at 17:00 in Tokyo is considered equal to a respondent that joined a form at 17:00 in Barcelona.

The chart above shows how many respondents start a form, here is a breakdown if charts aren't your thing:

• Moments of ‘Peak activity’

• Mornings (6:00) - except on Mondays!

• Afternoons (18:00)

• Moments of low activity:

• Lunch hours (12:00) - lowest activity of any given day

• Midnight (0:00)

• Bad moments in general:

• Weekends

• Monday mornings

Keeping those moments of peak activity in mind, now let’s look at form completion rate:glRALr23XiGFJXWQoURpYuZ_6BFtImL4lk--g2g9XiCJevJPUau1qm01b_LQTQfN8CUhVx_qK7U6NOIYX41FO7fwrpj4aCs2K7ud0HvW7y74VKN1Su3m6DkipchMY9cc28v_n9sh

Again, time zones are normalized here, meaning that a respondent joining a form at 17:00 in Tokyo is considered equal to a respondent that joined a form at 17:00 in Barcelona.

Diving into the numbers

So what does the completion rate chart tell us?

• Mornings have poor completion rates ❌

• Weekends have poor completion rates ❌

• Afternoons have high completion rates ✅ 

• This coincides with the moments of peak activity from the first chart

• Therefore Tuesday to Thursday afternoon is the sweet spot for sharing typeforms 😎

Timing it right

So, putting what we saw on the first chart and second chart together, what should we do? Here are some catchily-titled techniques you can experiment with:

• The One Shot: Only send your forms at 18:00

• The Double Impact: Send a form at 6:00 AND send a reminder at 18:00

• The Garfield: Change your scheduled Monday-morning Typeforms to -literally- any other weekday

Thanks for reading this! Now tell me, do you see something else in the charts that I’m not seeing? Are there any questions?... Or even better, do you have any ideas or hunches for how to increase Typeform responses? Us at the data team would like to hear about it!

Let me know about it in the comment section below 😃

Want more golden, data-backed tips to improve your typeform's response rates? I've written this post on our blog highlighting some more simple things you can try to reduce form drop-offs.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Great insights @jose.ramirez and I love the idea of community members posting their "hunches" for you and your team to test out with our internal data. Hope for your sake you haven't just created a whole lot more work for yourself :grin:

Userlevel 1

This is super interesting @jose.ramirez ! I’ll definitely take it into account for our next surveys

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@jose.ramirez @james 

recently read a bunch of stats that 87% percent of people look at email on their phones within 15 minutes of waking up. The average ‘waking up time’ was 6:15am. 

that indicated to some ‘serial marketers’ that the best time to get top of inbox status would be to have the email/typeform arrive between 615/630 am. Depending on the social or business nature of your form, making it eye/attention grabbing for your target market would be the key to getting it opened. 

I know that I can’t really address email until I have had my coffee in the morning, so when i flip through email on the phone in the dark, I trash the stuff that is not important and try to remember to come back to DO things with other emails that i saved for later. This would indicate that your ‘send a follow-up’ message later would be a very good trigger to remind me to do the work. (it’s that Pavlovian response that we tend to make in this interrupt-driven life that we lead)

*as i sip my coffee figuring out if i need to add anything else*

des

__

Man shall not live on bread alone… He needs coffee too

Badge +5

That is really interesting information, @john.desborough. I’ve also heard that looking at your phone right after walking up is counterproductive and hinders productivity - apparently you receive too much information at a time when you mind is still adjusting to a new day. 

Im actually trying myself not to look at the phone early in the morning, not only for this reason but also because my 2 year old son hates it when I stare at my phone - I can’t blame hi. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Gabriel - i would agree on the counterproductive part but mostly because, as the articles/research said, if one does not have a morning routine that pulls them away from the phone, then they get hooked on that and 20 minutes go by as the brain starts to spin up and figure things out. screen slavery

most recommended routine is to put the phone and the remote control by the television in another room and only get them AFTER you make your breakfast/coffee. 

I admit to using my phone as my alarm and my ‘emergency hotline’ for family and friends overnight, but i give myself no more than 5 minutes (snooze button on the alarm) before i start the morning workout - the brain has enough challenge to keep me from falling off my bike or the exercise machine that it doesn’t need anything but music. 

but if we can get someone hooked on our form in the first few minutes of the day, is that success or failure from the business perspective? it might be an ethical/moral dilemma to solve.. but that is for discussion over a pint or a coffee.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough I’m totally the same way with my phone - I definitely look at email and messages when I wake up. I really try not to, but since I’m usually working between multiple time zones, I don’t want to miss anything crucial that happened overnight! I certainly don’t answer emails until at least 9am, but I’ll know if there’s anything I need to address right away or if it’s a crisis, I’ll switch up my morning routine to hop on early. I bet if someone sent me a follow up message about filling out a form, I’d do it! I’m the kind of person that needs those automatic reminders. :) 

Userlevel 2

@john.desborough @Liz What you’re saying coincides with research I’ve read about completing Surveys.

In this paper, 66% of the surveyed people agreed that they’re more likely to reply a survey if they get a reminder. The research I’m quoting was done over students so your mileage may vary.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@jose.ramirez This paper is super interesting - glad to know it’s not just me that prefers a reminder! Thanks for sharing. :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@jose.ramirez - i think that grad students vs ‘salary working’ people may be different → but the paper is an interesting read.. most corporate marketing research is focused on b2b or b2c response frameworks (not that grad students are not consumers… ) but having been a grad student in the era before internet, i was too busy reading and researching through the night for school to have been an early morning riser lol.. delivery of granite tablets with chisel marks was more difficult than getting the ping of an email on the phone.. lol.. 

thanks for posting the article.. will be interested to see how the continued research/practical results from my own forms indicates when people are accessing my typeforms.. 

cheers

des