Video Guide

[šŸ†˜ Logic SOS #2] Help! Logic breaks when someone chooses multiple options + handling blank answers

• 25 August 2021
  • 12 replies
[šŸ†˜ Logic SOS #2] Help! Logic breaks when someone chooses multiple options + handling blank answers
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hey folks,Ā 

Ā 

I'm back for the second part of our Logic SOS series where I'll be helping you troubleshoot some of the most common reasons for broken Typeform logic.Ā 

Ā 

In the first episode we solved the problem of forms that jump straight to the end, by making questions required. This time we're gonna take a look at what can happen to your logic with multiple selection questions when you don't set the most restrictive logic rules firstā€¦

Ā 

Part One

Ā 

The problem:Ā 

Ā 

You have a Multiple Choice question with multiple options enabled. You want to direct people to a different question depending on their combination of answers. But instead of jumping to the correct next question based on the combination of answers, the form just shows the next question as it appears in the sequence in the Typeform builder.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The solution:Ā 

Ā 

Here's how to get around this problem. By reordering the logic so you start with the most restrictive rule first you can make sure the typeform jumps to the right question depending on the combination of answers selected. I also explain how to handle "Other" options and blank answers:

Ā 

Ā 

Part Two

Ā 

The problem:Ā 

Ā 

You have an open-ended text question. You want to direct people who don't write an answer to a particular follow-up question. But when an answer is empty the logic doesn't work and won't move to the next question.

Ā 

Ā 

The solution:Ā 

Ā 

This issue can occur because the typeform doesn't recognise an empty value as an answer. So you need to set up a reverse logic using the "is not equal to" parameter. Here's how to do it:

Ā 

Ā 

I hope this was helpful. I'll be back again soon for some more tips on untangling your logic. Let me know if there's anything in particular you want me to go through. In the meantime, if you're stuck on something don't forget you can reach out to our delightful Support team here or check out our Logic troubleshooting article on our Help Center.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jo-ShanĀ - great job of explaining the ā€œorder of operationsā€ on the logic. I see a lot of folks here in the community trying to deal with these two issues andĀ  your explanations were excellent.Ā 

I hope that people will begin to search and find these nuggets - Iā€™ve bookmarked it so that i can share it easily with others!

cheers!

des

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thanks, Des :)Ā Ā @john.desboroughĀ 
Iā€™m glad you find it helpful!Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Jo-ShanĀ what would we ever do without you?!

Ā 

Thank you @Jo-Shan! That was super helpful!:grinning:

ā€‹ As @john.desborough I'm also bookmarking this, because I know Iā€™ll be coming back here a lot.

Badge +5

Thanks once again for dropping some super useful knowledge in the community @Jo-ShanĀ 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thank you all for visiting and supporting (and also bookmarking) my postsĀ :smile:
andĀ @PauloĀ Thank you! Iā€™m glad itā€™s helpfulĀ :relaxed:

Userlevel 2

Good idea

Nice

Badge

I need something similar to the example in the first video.

Iā€™ve different questions buttons, and for every question, I want to go to a specific Question Group with some ranking stars to select.Ā 

It seems when I go back to the ā€œindexā€ of the wuestions, I lose the answers I did in the previous Question Groupā€¦

Maybe Iā€™m using the wrong approach?

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Parallelo42Ā Iā€™ve answered you in your thread!Ā :grinning:

HiĀ @Parallelo42Ā Iā€™ve answered you in your thread!Ā :grinning:

Qtip: If you want to repeat a respondent's selectedĀ answer choicesĀ acrossĀ multipleĀ questions, use carry forward instead. For example, let's say you askĀ ..

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @jamjakeĀ it looks like your message has been cutoff.Ā :sob:Ā If you donā€™t mind editing your response with the rest of your answer, that would be wonderful!