Product update

[Under the Hood] A closer look inside our new and improved HubSpot integration 🔎 🧑‍🔧

• 11 November 2021
  • 26 replies
[Under the Hood] A closer look inside our new and improved HubSpot integration 🔎 🧑‍🔧
Userlevel 4

Greetings Community!

It’s been a minute and might I say, it feels good to be back with you all. Today I have the privilege of sharing some ✨ very exciting news ✨. For many of you, this may come as a big relief too. After months of development, we are thrilled to announce that our second version—a MUCH improved version—of our HubSpot integration is live!!

Thank you to all of you who’ve shared your feedback, wrote in to tell us how much of a pain in the a** it was to not be able to edit the integration (we listened!), and to remain patient as we worked to develop v2 of this integration so that it can meet all of your HubSpot and Typeform needs!!

Integration overview

If you’re a longtime user of the HubSpot and Typeform integration, you can skip down to read about the big changes we’ve made to this updated version. But for those of you who may be new to HubSpot or perhaps use HubSpot and Typeform to run your business but didn’t know we had an integration (surprise!!), let’s quickly review some of the key highlights of why Typeform and HubSpot work better, together:

• With HubSpot and Typeform you can convert your leads into more than just customers—turn them into champions and promoters too—and get the data you need to understand what works and how best to follow up.

• You can use Typeform to create beautiful lead gen forms, quizzes, and sign-up forms that capture more leads, and integrate with HubSpot to help you better track, segment, and understand your audience’s journey—including what source they came from—and significantly cut down on conversion time.

• With the HubSpot integration for Typeform, you can map a variety of Typeform questions (e.g. short text, email, website, dropdown) to specific HubSpot properties, automatically syncing the response data you receive from your typeform submissions to your HubSpot dashboard so that you and your colleagues can instantly access it and have it stored in your HubSpot CRM in addition to your results panel in Typeform.

• There’s no need to chase after multiple data sources—everything’s in HubSpot, ready for you to act upon and analyze, whether it’s to nurture a lead via a follow-up email or to analyze the performance of your marketing campaigns.

What’s New in v2?!

Alright, now let’s dive into the fun stuff—what changed?!?!

Well first: the HubSpot integration is now FREE for all Typeform users, meaning that it’s now available on ➡️  ALL TYPEFORM PLANS ⬅️, including our free plan! Previously it was only available on our top-tier paid plans but we figured why not let everyone have access to it?! That means that as soon as you sign up for Typeform, you can start using the HubSpot integration, provided that you already have a HubSpot account. And if not, go ahead and sign up for HubSpot too and see what this integration is all about!

And the next big announcement! You can now edit the HubSpot integration!! If you previously used our HubSpot integration then you know that this is a BIG DEAL. Now, if you want to add another question to your typeform and map those responses to HubSpot, or realize that you want to change the mapping of a question to another field in HubSpot, or make any tweak to the integration, be it small or large, you can do that! You no longer need to delete the integration and start from scratch which we know was seriously frustrating for many of you.

Before we dive even deeper into the new features and changes, here’s a demo of the HubSpot v2 integration for Typeform in action. 

Create and update contact, company, and deal records

With the previous version of the HubSpot integration for Typeform you were only able to create and update Contacts in HubSpot. Now you can still do that, plus you can create and update Company records and Deal records too!

In addition you can create records for multiple HubSpot objects from a single form response. This means that you can now create a contact, company, and deal from a single typeform response submission.

Let’s take a look:

In this typeform I’ve mapped certain questions to certain HubSpot properties across the Contacts, Companies, and Deals records so that different people from my team can access different pieces of relevant information, and they’re easy to locate across the respective dashboards. In a few instances, I mapped the same questions to different HubSpot fields depending on the record type, as this information is pertinent in both places.

Additionally with this updated integration, you can customize the parameters (aka the user-defined key) for which existing records are updated.

For Contact records, the contact will automatically update if it matches an email address that is already listed in HubSpot. See here:

However, if you don’t map a question that links to an email field in HubSpot, then you can choose which properties to match on. For example, you may know that if someone with the same first name, last name, and company name re-submits the same typeform, it’s probably the same person and therefore you don’t need a duplicate contact record. If you don’t choose any properties, then new contacts will be created every time someone re-submits the typeform.

This type of functionality is also available for updating Companies records. With companies, a new record will automatically update if it matches an existing company website (“company domain name”) but if you don’t have that HubSpot field mapped in your typeform integration set-up, then you can select which properties to match on.

Here’s what it’ll look like if you include a question that maps to Company Domain Name (aka company website) in your integration set-up:

And here’s what it’ll look like if you don’t have a question that maps to Company Domain Name:

For Deals records, there are no defined fields that will auto-update an existing deal record. Rather, you get to decide what properties will trigger an automatic update of an existing deal record. In this case I’ve chosen to update based on the property, “Deal Name”:

New mappable question types added

We’d like to think that Typeform has improved a lot since we first built the HubSpot integration back in 2018. One of the ways in which we’ve really grown is the number of question blocks that you can add when building your typeform.

Now with this new version of the integration, you can map to even more question types including score variables, appointments, and hidden fields. In fact, the only question types that are not compatible with the HubSpot integration mapping are Matrix questions, Ranked choice questions, and Payment questions. You can still have those questions in your typeform, you just can’t map them to corresponding fields in HubSpot 😎

Additionally, with this version, you can create multiple outcome endings and map those to HubSpot Contacts, Companies, or Deal records too. You can also include an “other” choice in your multiple choice questions and that write-in text field will now map to HubSpot too!

Improved setup functionality

We wanted to make the setup flow easier for the HubSpot integration and one of the ways we did that was to make the entire experience more visual.

Now, when creating the integration setup flow, you’ll notice that the Typeform question choices have corresponding icons to match their question type.

Similarly, the icons for the HubSpot fields indicate the property type in HubSpot, for example whether it’s text, dropdown, number, or string.

Additionally, you can now search within the setup flow—for both typeform questions and HubSpot properties. This makes it a lot easier to find the questions you want to map, especially if you have a typeform with a lot of questions.

Source tracking

As always, you can enable source tracking with the HubSpot integration to understand where people are coming from. So, for example, if your typeform lives in a few places—on your website, in an email, shared via LinkedIn—you can see which channel is performing the best. Just make sure to notify your audience that you’re using cookies 🍪 🍪

Alright folks, that’s all for now! We hope you give this integration a try and let us know your thoughts in the comments below. If you have questions, drop those below too! 

And, if you’d be so kind, please leave us a review on HubSpot once you’ve given the integration a try. We’d really, really appreciate it 🤩

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@rachelmkalt - this is great news.. However, I am seeing a lot of folks in the Community who are experiencing problems with pre-existing Hubspot connected forms. They have stopped working properly. 

Someone needs to look into the issues proactively from the Product team and provide a “here’s what to do ...” article for folks who were already up and running

While these new features are great, it looks like it is not necessarily ‘backwards compatible’.. 

just a thought

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @john.desborough Our developers are working on a solution for the issues, which they’ve escalated to a higher priority, so hopefully they get those ironed out soon! 

This new integration has completely broken our workflows and we didn’t even know that it was broken until our leads started complaining that no automated emails were received.

While trying to setup the integration again, lot of my questions cannot be mapped to the HubSpot properties in the v2 integration (worked flawlessly on v1). 

Is there going to be a fix for this soon or should I go ahead setting up a zapier for just this? Extremely disappointed with how this was handled. 

This new integration has completely broken our workflows and we didn’t even know that it was broken until our leads started complaining that no automated emails were received.

While trying to setup the integration again, lot of my questions cannot be mapped to the HubSpot properties in the v2 integration (worked flawlessly on v1). 

Is there going to be a fix for this soon or should I go ahead setting up a zapier for just this? Extremely disappointed with how this was handled. 

We we’re having the exact same issues, so I contacted Typeform support, and they came back with this answer an hour ago: 

The issue with the hubspot integration has been resolved by restoring the hubspot integration to a working state temporarily but our team is still working on a long term solution.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this issue may have caused you. 

Looks like something was rolled back to V1, since you can’t edit the integration anymore as they showcase in V2. I just tested our typeform, and everything is working in Hubspot again. 

Badge +5

Hey @Maciej @stoaschool thanks for flagging this. I’m going to ask some questions internally to see if I can get more info for you regarding this. 

cc @Liz 

Badge +5

Hi again. I got the information from our tech team, which I believe will be useful. 

Click the “show context” spoiler below for reference. 

What happened?
Some customers could no longer see which form added or updated the contact after migrating from Hubspot integration V1 to V2.

How many customers were affected?
16 accounts so far

How did we solve it?
We migrated the forms belonging to these 16 accounts back to V1 while we're working on a longer term solution

Why did it happen?
V1 uses legacy Hubspot APIs (AKA "Form API"), whereas V2 uses current Hubspot API (AKA "CRM API"). Apparently these APIs work slightly differently when it comes to populating the contact sources. Form API does not cover all the use cases that we needed for V2, so that's why we didn't use it. Also Hubspot's documentation indicates that the legacy Form API would not be supported in the future.

Why wasn't this issue detected during the testing?
The issue is hubspot specific, it's not that the integration is failing, it's just that the new API creates the data in a slightly different way than the legacy API. We didn't have the information about that, neither did we know that the customers have any processes linked to this data. What we've been testing was that the new entities were being created in Hubspot and that there were no errors.

What are we doing now?

• We're still working on a longer term fix, we're going to migrate the forms of all those affected to V1. It should be a quick process now.

@stoaschool (or anyone else experiencing the same issue) if this is still an issue please get in touch with support they’ll fix it for you. You can do so here

Thanks for your patience!

Thanks @Gabriel for the update. My workflows still seem to be broken, I have raised a ticket with the support team.

Badge +5

Thanks @Gabriel for the update. My workflows still seem to be broken, I have raised a ticket with the support team.

Great. Any issues keep us posted he can knock at Support’s door for you if need be 🚪

Hi, on this new v2 integration I can’t seem to find the typeform ID that I used to connect the typeform into my workflow on hubspot, under the contact enrollment trigger. Anyone able to help me find this?

Badge

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t just revert the integration back for all users that have it… I have to submit a support request for each one of my clients who are using the HubSpot integration on their Typeform and specifically ask for them to fix it so that it actually works? Kind of crazy

Badge +5

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t just revert the integration back for all users that have it… I have to submit a support request for each one of my clients who are using the HubSpot integration on their Typeform and specifically ask for them to fix it so that it actually works? Kind of crazy

Hi @CampaignCreators and welcome to the community. I believe the reason is because it works well for 99.9% of users. The number of affected accounts seems to be very low.

Perhaps you can submit just one request for all your clients. I imagine the support team will be ok with this. 

Let us know. 

Badge

Hi @CampaignCreators and welcome to the community. I believe the reason is because it works well for 99.9% of users. The number of affected accounts seems to be very low.

Perhaps you can submit just one request for all your clients. I imagine the support team will be ok with this. 

Let us know. 

Interesting… is it that they’re not affected or are they just not aware there might be a potential issue with the integration? I know for the way that we’ve been using Typeform, it’s somewhat of a “set-and-forget” lead generation tool that lives on our website and in ongoing evergreen marketing campaigns, so if I didn’t actively go in and check to make sure it was working, I would’ve had no idea. Especially since there hasn’t been any sort of customer communication about this issue, as far as I know. 

I’ll add that I’m using Typeform for three different clients and all three of their integrations have broken, and have yet to be reverted to the old version to make them start working again, despite me submitting three different support requests on their behalf. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @CampaignCreators As Gabriel mentioned, there were very few accounts affected and those that were, were reverted back to the original version. 

Our support team also let me know they’ve chatted with you regarding the issue and are working on reverting those accounts back. As soon as they have updates on the status of that, they’ll reach out to you via email. Do know that they are actively working on this. 

Badge

Thanks Liz, I’ll continue keeping an eye out for that update! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks Liz, I’ll continue keeping an eye out for that update! 

Let me know if you don’t hear back from them in the next few days, @CampaignCreators !

Hi team,

unfortunately our two surveys broke, too. We realised that due to complaints from our prospects.

I reconnected the accounts again but still cannot see the form submissions in Hubspot. We need a solution as soon as possible since we were running a promotion for this.

Thank you!

Badge +5

Welcome @petra Have you contacted Typeform support yet? Otherwise we can escalate your issue to them as this might be related to the new Hubspot release. 

Let us know

Badge

Despite requesting it through support nearly every day since last week, my clients’ integrations that broke still have not been reverted to the old version and made functional again. Any assistance there would be greatly appreciated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @CampaignCreators Our support team has let us know they have already reverted back the forms you have asked and are addressing the ones you have chatted in about today. Please continue to contact them through your open tickets so they can continue to help you with any further forms/accounts you need reverted back. 

Welcome @petra Have you contacted Typeform support yet? Otherwise we can escalate your issue to them as this might be related to the new Hubspot release. 

Let us know

@Gabriel After your reply I contacted the support team. Hopefully we can get it resolved today or tomorrow latest.

Badge

Hi @CampaignCreators Our support team has let us know they have already reverted back the forms you have asked and are addressing the ones you have chatted in about today. Please continue to contact them through your open tickets so they can continue to help you with any further forms/accounts you need reverted back. 

Thanks Liz, I did receive email confirmation that they reverted back the forms I’ve been asking them to fix, but all they did was go in and turn the integration off completely. It’s still the new version, not reverted, and I did try fully deleting it and re-connecting it and that didn’t work either. 

I emailed support last night about this with links to the forms in question, but haven’t heard back from them at all, and I haven’t created a new ticket for any other forms today at all except for posting on here to try to expedite this process once again. 

I appreciate you reaching out on my behalf, since reaching out to support on my own doesn’t seem to be helping. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @CampaignCreators Our support team has been live chatting with your account on and off throughout today. The fastest way to get help is going to continue through those live chats/emails, but if you have questions about anything else, please let us know. 

Badge

Hi @CampaignCreators Our support team has been live chatting with your account on and off throughout today. The fastest way to get help is going to continue through those live chats/emails, but if you have questions about anything else, please let us know. 

Oops, apparently a colleague of mine was logged in and reached out asking questions about something else. Regardless, the support request I submitted last night was from my personal email address, and I still haven’t heard back. 

I’ll continue to reach out, pretty frustrated at this point that they can’t just do what they said they would do, and what they’ve apparently done for many other customers, without me having to hound them daily.

I see mention of appointments, but is this the same as meeting links? Having an integration with HS meetings similar to your Calendly integration would streamline my customer enrollment process and make collecting pre-meeting info a snap. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@kabir.mathur do you have any use cases using Hubspot’s meeting schedule with Typeforms? 

@kevinkru