Answered

Get the 'order of the answer' in a multiple-choice question

• 12 September 2021
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

In a form with several multiple-choice questions, I have several long text-related answers. For further processing I need to get the order of the choosen answer in the list (1, 2, 3 … or A, B, C, … ) instead of the text of the answer itself.

Any idea? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Paulo 14 September 2021, 03:55

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Jesus Happy Monday! This isn’t currently a feature we have in our forms, I’m afraid. I’m racking my brain for a workaround, but while I think of one, do you essentially just need to know if they selected A/b/c/etc? Or Do you need to know if they selected Option A, then B, then C in the specific order they chose it? I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 1

Hi @Liz, as you say, I need to know which answer/s (A, B, C,...) are chosen. I don't mind the order of the choice.

Thanks!.

Best.

Hi @Jesus! This is from a fellow user.

Maybe there’s a better way to do it, but from the top of my head, I would create text variables for each question and replace the text with the answer (A, B, C...) using Advanced logic like the images below. This way you can write in each variable (E.g. variable q1 for the first question, q2 for the second question, etc) the values for the answers (q1=A, q2=C...) and generate reports, notidicatios, etc.

But I have a feeling there’s a easier way to acomplish the same result. @john.desborough help!:sweat_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jesus - this from another user as well.. 

@Paulo may have the easiest answer for you but, if it is possible, can you take a screenshot of one of questions and post it here to give us a more visual clue of what you are trying to collect

thanks

des

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Paulo for your tip. I’m checking it afterwards.

For making it clearer, @john.desborough, these are some images explaining what I’m trying to collect.

Best,

Jesus

This is a question of the form I show:

I wanna save the letter answered, instead the answer itself. Now, Typeform saves the answer as:

What I need is as follows:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jesus - thanks for showing the screen shots.. What you need to do is follow the suggestion from @Paulo and use the Advanced Logic feature, create the variables to capture the ‘question’ (ie A,B,..) and then build the logic rules on each page to replace the value of the variables with the ‘letter’ representing the answer - what @Paulo showed 

hope that helps

des

Userlevel 1

Thank you @Paulo and @john.desborough for your suggestion. I’ll keep you informed.

J.

Userlevel 1

A last question!:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jesus - create a text variable - say v_q1 - then you will have the option to replace

Userlevel 1

@john.desborough Oops!

Sorry.

Userlevel 1

@john.desborough

I created enough variables for all my questions and assigned their corresponding values accordingly. Could I see/send the value of these variables (with the chosen answer/s) as the responses of the form?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jesus - when the form is submitted, field values (answers) AND variables are recorded.. you should be able to see them in the Results area (you might have to click a couple of the tabs to see the list of all the items shown for an individual survey but they should be there) 

if you send yourself a notification email using the Settings - Notifications function, and choose all answers, i believe that all the variables are included in the default email. if they are not, then simply add them to the body of the email with the @recall function. 

hope that helps and sorry for the delay.. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks @john.desborough. I can see the variables in the results. I’m trying to send them all through an integration with Airtable now. 

Happy wednesday.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Great news @Jesus 

well done