Answered

How do i put "go back" buttons?

• 28 February 2021
  • 20 replies

I am new here! How do i get GO BACK buttons, so that if i a customer changes their mind on a questionnaire they can “go back” to the previous page?

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 1 March 2021, 03:36

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@riverandroad - this is from a user of the product.. 

if you look in the bottom right hand corner of your form/questions, you will see little up or down arrows .. those are the forward and back buttons available at the moment. 

This is a concern/issue/question that has been raised to Typeform and passed to the product development team. Not sure where it sits on the list of features to enhance, but maybe one of the fabulous folks here in the Community can provide an update… (they really are fabulous… honest)

des

Badge +5

Hey John, @riverandroad replied to the community email notification as opposed to clicking on the button to get back here to the community. Just letting you know that he sends a huge thank you!

Now that I’ve quoted him he may actually pop by here himself and let us know how it went. 

I’d like to use this feature so that respondents can go back to the previous screen/question and review the image. This is for a Preference Test, e.g. screen 1 shows Option A, screen 2 shows Option B, screen 3 asks which one they prefer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

HI @LinzS - do you have the arrow keys enabled on your form? :)

@Liz Thanks! I do, they are on my survey, and somehow I missed them. They seem so obvious now.

I think my mental model for arrows is back and forward, not up down. Also, they are embedded in the typeform branding, so they didn’t register as a navigation tool.

I know one of my respondents also didn’t see them (they commented that it would be good to be able to toggle back and forth to compare versions).

Cheers :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @LinzS ah, I didn’t even think of the arrows pointing left or right - thanks for sharing! I’ve shared this feedback with our product team. :smiley:

Userlevel 1

@Liz @Gabriel 

I understand that Typeform is trying to be super cool and trendy with all their design elements… but really having functional navigation is some basic UI/UX stuff.

I’m worried that Typeform is ignoring things that basic testing should have highlighted early on. 

Not everyone is young and computer savvy. I have a lot of older patients for whom tiny icons in the corner will never be seen or understood.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@JonathanSatet - as someone who is old and curmudgeonly and went to university in the 70s, while those self-same buttons were not obvious to me on day one, I have found that there are a number of things that I can do when creating forms for users of all ages that works within “the current design constraints” - i often put some basic navigation instructions/helpful hints on one of the early pages of my typeforms in order to point out where the up and down arrows. 

While this may not be seen as ‘best practices’ in the world of design, knowing i can provide guidance and support with verbal or visual instructions, along with interspersed Yes/No questions asking if folks are ok through the process of the form (if it is long) or reminders on things like “if you fill in the Other field with a message/description, you will have to press the OK button to move to the next screen”

It ain’t perfect but then again neither are conversations or email threads regardless of how speak or write lol. But once we understand the ‘rules’ or constraints of the system, we can work within those to create the best interaction possible. Will Typeform ever reach perfection for me? probably not, but maybe after a couple of jumps, like Newton and Pareto and their work in math, it will be close enough to meet 85-90 percent of my needs so that I can meet 85-90 percent of my clients needs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @JonathanSatet that definitely makes sense - thanks for sharing your feedback! Do you have any particular designs you’d like to see instead or design settings that would help? 

Hi @Liz - We been struggling with the back option as well. We have integrated Typeform with the Intercom chat widget and there are problems with the view. We can’t see the back arrows or the percentage option. I believe that the options are there but it’s just now visible due to the small view intercom chat messenger has.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Saqlain Kali you are right that the arrows don’t show in the intercom integration, and I believe this is expected behavior. But tagging @picsoung so they can see the feedback! :grinning:

@Liz If I pay to remove TypeForm Branding, is it possible to customise the text that says “Powered by TypeForm” to “Go Forward / Back” or similar as that would at least make the operation of those buttons a little more obvious.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @DJL1984 If you pay to remove the branding, the text “Powered by Typeform” won’t appear at all. :\ I can share this feedback with our product team! You can also see the defaults texts you can customize here

Hi @Saqlain Kali you are right that the arrows don’t show in the intercom integration, and I believe this is expected behavior. But tagging @picsoung so they can see the feedback! :grinning:

@Liz We also use the chat function as the way our survey is presented and because of this we don’t have forward or back arrows. This causes a big issue and seems rather fundamental  to allow someone to go back if they accidentally click the wrong response. Any idea when they may implement this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Thisismikejones I’m not aware of this feature in our roadmap currently, but if that changes, I’ll post any updates here!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Honestly a simple “go back” below the question” would be a great addition. 

Our main target audience is not very tech savvy, and although I perfectly understand the arrow navigator, it is not obvious to them, so if they mistype and move on, they tend to either drop off the form, or try and reload the whole thing. 

Hello everybody!

Speaking of the arrows keys on the right side of the screen, is it possible to move them to the left side.

They are not being clearly visible when an image in inserted on the right side.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Anita Chaddad It isn’t possible to move sides, but could you share a screenshot of what you’re seeing? I’m able to see the arrows visibly on my forms. 

I know this question has been asked now a thousand times over and also has a long thread here. But the Typeform team has failed to resolve it. The respondent is so confused about going back and correcting information that they often do browser back and have to start from scratch again. Just a simple arrow like the native back ← / ⬅️ Will do the job just right and also changing the position to the top instead where the rest of the world actually puts navigation will do the trick. Its also very hard to believe how such a simple thing is so hard to implement at Typeform Engineering.

This is what simplest CSS implementation look like - 

.footer-wrapperstyles__FooterWrapper-sc-12dpj1x-0.irWqeX {
top: 0px;
}

button.ButtonWrapper-sc-__sc-1qu8p4z-0.bueyKc {
display: none;
}

button.ButtonWrapper-sc-__sc-1qu8p4z-0.bDKJXU {
transform: rotate(270deg);
}

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @amanintech Thanks for sharing this feedback! We’ve passed it along to the product team.