Answered

Feature to verify phone number

• 8 September 2021
  • 18 replies

Hello, we would like to implement a phone number validation on one of our contact form.

The ideal solution for us would be a using OTP system (like the one from Twilio). As per my understanding it will require an API.

According to TypeForm help support, there is no native solution 

We are looking for the best manner to implement this verification via API or any other way, does anyone  know any example of something similar done on a form ? Or have any advices ?

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by picsoung 8 September 2021, 21:09

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Damien welcome to the community! We don’t currently have this ability within our forms since the forms don’t save information until the respondent has clicked the submit button. Though, the developers are working on adding blocks to the builder to allow for integrations like this in the future. 

Adding @kabir.mathur in here for visibility! :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Damien 

As @Liz mentioned, the flow of a form can’t be interrupted to make an external API call between questions.

So the only moment you can do this verification would be when the form is submitted.

As a workaround for now, I would suggest to break your flow into two forms.
One first form just asking for form number. This form redirects to an OTP validation UI of your own. When this forms is submitted it triggers a webhook to call Twilio OTP API.

If the OTP validation works, you can redirect the user to the second part of the form, passing the phone number as a hidden field.

Hope it makes sense :)

This would be HUGE for our marketing campaigns. We get a lot of fake phones and emails. PLEASE, PLEASE create this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Agreed, @zima ! We’ve shared this with the product team, so any updates we have, we’ll post here!

The tool LeadsHook is able to do phone number/email/address verification with a Twilio integration, so it must be possible!

This feature would be a huge value add for you guys… I’m hoping I can use Typeform instead of Leadshook soon as your UI/UX is so much better. Thank you :)

Is this feature implemented to verify using an OTP? I have no coding experience and don’t intend to get one, so if this is an inbuilt feature it would really help. I’d want to just use it like a drag-drop.

I love the UI, so i’m not going to look for another site/software. I’d request you to immediately implement this even if it is at a cost. (based on each OTP that is sent, we can buy a package & use a pre-paid service for the same)

If its not implemented, it will be of no use to me & I’ll have to move on.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @stock129 This isn’t an option we have available in our forms, so you would need to use a solution once the form is submitted. 

Userlevel 1

Any update on this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Franky This isn’t currently in our roadmap, but if anything changes, we’ll post that update here. 

Hi @Franky This isn’t currently in our roadmap, but if anything changes, we’ll post that update here. 

Hi Liz, what is the progress of this project? Is it possible to test a beta?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @leadworkshop I’m afraid we don’t have plans to build this feature at this time, but if that changes, we’ll post so here. 

Hi @Liz ist there maybe a update on this? A phone numer verification will be a great benefit. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Sebastian TPTE Thanks for stopping by the community! This isn’t on the roadmap, but if that changes, we’ll post about it here. 😀

Is there a way we can validate the number of digits in the number though? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Nawaz Xello While our phone field doesn’t validate if the phone number itself is real, it will ensure that it is a full number based on the country code the respondent clicks. 😀

HI Liz, 
Thank you for your reply.
All phone numbers we’re collecting are of Indian origin and all numbers usually have 10 digits. However, the typeform is accepting 9 digits as well and this may lead to a lot of missed opportunities for us. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Nawaz Xello Oh, I see. Let me ask the product team about this. I’m not totally sure if this is expected behavior or not. I’ll get back to you on this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi again, @Nawaz Xello ! I asked the product team, and they let me know they use a plugin to validate the phone. That plugin provides a little bit of leeway for the phone numbers to prevent any user friction in that area. In this case, they’re most likely allowing 9 numbers to be correct since there is a use case where that number would be valid in India. 

Hopefully this helps explain a bit!