Question

Push Typeform Variables to Data Layer

• 9 September 2022
  • 12 replies

Hi!

Right now i’m using another form type to generate leads and we’re switching over to typeform.
I have an HTML script that sends certain form variables, name, email, etc, to the datalayer that Google Tag Manager then hashes and distributes to Facebook/ Google etc for matching. 

Is there any way that I can do this with typeform?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@mathio or @picsoung may be able to help you with this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello again, @Britni ! They let me know you can directly use our Google Tag Manager integration for this. 😀

Hello. I am having this same problem.

I’ve been researching all over the internet for the last 4 days trying to figure this out. I connected my typeform to my Google Tag Manager Web Container, but I’m not seeing any of that data being pushed to the Data Layer for me to then set up Google Tag Manager integrations for.

I’m confused on how to first push data from Typeform to the data layer. It seems that some hidden variables gets sent to the data layer as an object called Element. All of the variables come in as 1 value under the object name Elemnt or Element URL, so it cannot be parsed.

I am also still interested in passing variables available in the Payload over to the Data Layer. Does anyone know if pushing this data is possible?

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @martechmiadvg do you have your form embedded? If so, could you send the URL where the form is located so we can take a look at the setup? 

Hi Liz,

Here is the form. We changed the domain through php code. It’s not an embedded, though.

https://freshstartinfo.org/lp/901/qualify-test.php

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @martechmiadvg ! Looking at the embedded form, it doesn’t look like the variables are being passed correctly. The video below can help with this: 

I reviewed and added that script as an alternate solution to what was already on there, however, this still isn’t pushing data over to dataLayer. Please take a look.

I believe what I need is the event name and key-value pairs to push to dataLayer through custom javascript code.

I see there’s no documentation for that and I can’t find those key-value pairs from Typeform on the internet. This should be available from the payload.

Do you know if there is any documentation you can share on that?

Many thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@mathio do you happen to know the solution for above? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sorry I can not help you here.Maybe @supertinou might have some insights into this?

I reviewed and added that script as an alternate solution to what was already on there, however, this still isn’t pushing data over to dataLayer. Please take a look.

I believe what I need is the event name and key-value pairs to push to dataLayer through custom javascript code.

I see there’s no documentation for that and I can’t find those key-value pairs from Typeform on the internet. This should be available from the payload.

Many thanks

Same issue, surprised it’s not raised as an issue by more people!

Many thanks

Same issue, surprised it’s not raised as an issue by more people!

Typeform mentioned they were working on a way to make the payload accessible to GTM. For now, it is possible to gather data from the URL of website pages through query string parameters. You can look into that to be able to capture data in the data layer through GTM as well.

Are there any updates on this topic yet? I have the same problem. I’ve found a way for typeform answers to be pushed to the data layer but the issue is that I can’t identify on which step in the typeform a user is on. 

Example:

I have 5 questions in my typeform. One asks for the email-address, another one for the name etc. I can push the input to the data layer. For example “email@email.com” and “Peter” but there are no unique identifiers at each step of the typeform, so I can’t tell the data layer which field is populates with an email, which one with a name etc. Is there any way to solve this? 

Just adding all answers to the URL is not an option, since this doesn’t comply with the meta policies.