Answered

Scoring and Displaying Multiple Totals for Individual Opinion Answers - Candidate Assessment Tool

• 14 June 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hello, I am trying to create an assessment tool to help voters determine which candidate in a given school board race shares values which align most closely with their own. We have collected candidate responses to a series of questions and I want to present those responses in such a way that voters can compare and score each candidate’s response to each question (for example, 1-5 or 1-10), and then at the end I would like the tool to calculate total scores for each candidate and display the results on the final page. 

I started with a simple outcomes quiz and that allows users to select the response they prefer for each question and then at the end tells them which candidate is theoretically more aligned with their values; however, my test group agreed it was too simplistic and it wasn’t always a cut and dry choice - would be much better if instead of simply choosing Candidate A’s answer over Candidate B’s answer, they could rate each answer (i.e. give Candidate A and 8 out of 10 and Candidate b a 5 out of 10 for that response). Then, for each following question, they would rate the responses in the same way and the tool would spit out totals such as “You gave Candidate A’s responses a total score of 52 out of 70 and Candidate B’s responses a total score of 35 out of 70. It appears that your values most closely aligned with Candidate A.” 

Is this possible to accomplish with Typeform? If so, how can I manipulate the logic to accomplish this? I have also tried creating question groups with Question 1a relating to Candidate A’s response and Question 1b relating to Candidate B’s response (each using the opinion scale question type) but I don’t know how to ask Typeform to add up the total scores for each candidate (it if is even possible). 

If that won’t work, any other ideas to accomplish a similar outcome?

I am also wondering if it is possible to display total scores (i.e. how each outcome scored/was ranked) at the end of a quiz vs. simply showing the top outcome determined by the quiz.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 14 June 2023, 03:11

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Brian LISD - you could start by create a variable to act as the subtotal of the points awarded to each candidate and use the logic rules to add the points to the candidate’s subtotal. 

ie  if q2 = 5 add 5 to v_candidateA 

at the end, you would need to use the logic rules to compare the subtotals for the highest value and then route the user to the appropriate ending

starting points for you.. 

des

Badge

Hi @john.desborough, thanks so much for the quick reply and the ideas! I’m brand new to Typeform, so those were great starting points and helped me figure out what to look up in the help center.

As you suggested, I created variables and assigned point values to the subtotals so that at the end of the candidate assessment it shows the total scores users gave to each candidate, so that is a success! For example, the end screen will say...

How you scored each candidate:

Candidate A: 45/60

Candidate B: 32/60

I would still like to route users to different screens with additional information based on who they scored higher but I am having difficulty figuring out the branch logic rules to compare the subtotals for the highest value and then route the user to the appropriate ending. The only related option I have found so far is “if candidate_a is greater than (a number), then...” But, I need it to be “if candidate_a is greater than candidate_b, then...” Do you mind providing me with a bit more assistance on this and/or pointing me to the right resources in the help center? Thanks!

Also, I am wondering if it is it possible to have more than one opinion question (or any type of question) on the same page? For my particular use case, that would provide a better user experience. The way I have it set up now, there is a statement page which shows each candidate’s full response and then you have to go the next page to score Candidate A and the next page again to score Candidate B. Ideally, I’d like all of this to happen on one page or at the very least have a statement page with both responses followed by a single page to score both candidates. Hopefully, what I am trying to accomplish makes sense. Thanks so much! 

If helpful, here a is a link to my test form for reference...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Brian LISD - one bit at a time lol:

• try this logic: if v_candidateA - v_candidateB is greater than 0 then go to ending_candidateA (A scored higher than B)
    • if v_candidateA - v_candidateB is less than 0 then go to ending_candidateB
    • if v_candidateA - v_candidateB is equal 0 then go to a tie breaker question

if you have more than 2 candidates, logic for unique ‘win’:

• if A - B greater than 0 AND A -C greater than 0 AND …. then A is the highest and go to that page.. (repeat for each candidate….)

des

Badge

Hi @john.desborough, thanks again for the quick reply! That logic makes total sense but working in the branching and calculations tool, Typeform doesn’t seem to allow me to enter “v_candidateA - v_candidateB” in the if function (please see pictures), I can only select one variable… Am I in the wrong place or maybe choosing the wrong options? Do I need to create another variable that is “v_candidateA - v_candidateB”? (if so, how would I do that?) Something else? Thanks!

Badge

Hi again, @john.desborough. Okay, I figured out my last question - I added an intermediate set of variables (v_counter_1 and v_counter_2) and a few additional calculations and that allowed me to accomplish what you recommended! Seems like there’s gotta be an easier way (if so, I’d love to know it!) but this is doing the trick for now at least…

(When I tried always subtract v_candidateA from v_candidateB and the if statements, that routed me correctly but it messed up my totals on the last page where I tell the user how many points they gave t each candidate, thus the intermediate variables)

Badge

@john.desborough, I do still have one other question though - is it possible to have more than one opinion question (or any type of question for that matter) on the same page? For my particular use case, that would provide a better user experience. The way I have it set up now, there is a statement page which shows both candidate’s full responses and then you have to go the next page to score Candidate A and the next page again to score Candidate B. Ideally, I’d like all of this to happen on one page or at the very least have a statement page with both responses followed by a single page to score both candidates. Hopefully, what I am trying to accomplish makes sense. Your help has been invaluable so far - thank you so much!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Brian LISD - you could do something like a ‘matrix page’ that had the question as the title, and in the description you could have: A said…. B said….  and then you could have a two row matrix question with rows being  A and B and the columns 1-5 (whatever you wanted to score)  - make the response required then the user would have to put in the selection for both .. maybe something like this.. 

the only drawback with this question type is that the answers can’t be used in logic rules inside Typeform.. you would have to connect to a google sheet and do the calculations there and present it back in an email result.. 

just a thought

des

Badge

Thanks, @john.desborough! Bummer you can’t use the matrix responses to calculate total scores and direct users to different end pages, otherwise that would have been exactly what I was looking for. I’ll play around with it anyways and see if it might work for my purposes somehow.

I really appreciate all of your help on this project! Cheers!