Answered

Build quiz with multiple scores from sections containing opinion scores

• 6 February 2024
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hi there, I’m new to Typeform, so apologies in advance if daft question! I’ve seen this post that has got me close to what I need, but I haven’t got the logic right… https://www.typeform.com/help/a/build-a-quiz-with-multiple-scores-4410816726804/ 

My quiz is thus:  I have 8 question groups, each containing 6 opinion scale questions that score from 0 to 5 each. 

I’d like an ending page to have a score for each section example scoring like this:

Group question 1 = 5/30

Group question 2 = 20/30

Group question 3 = 15/30

etc

I have created the 8 variables for each group. 

In ‘quiz and scoring’ I have added in scores relating to their opinion scale (from 0 to 5) e.g. if select 3 they score 3, 0 if select 0

In ‘branching and calculations’ I haven’t got the logic right as instead of adding up for each section, the rule is “always add score to Group x’ - which of course just keeps on adding up so I get this result:

Group 1 = 15/30

Group 2 = 180/30

Oops! 

How do I select just the ‘score’ from that question group, not the entire quiz?

If possible I don’t want to have to add each opinion scale response as a rule in the ‘branching and calculations’ like in the above ‘multiple scores’ link - how can I use the already set up scores in ‘quiz and scoring logic’ to total up just that section? 

Hope that all makes sense?! TIA :)

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 6 February 2024, 17:07

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Leopard Claire - can you show a couple of screen shots from your logic rules and/or a short video walkthrough of the scenario? that will help to troubleshoot

des

Badge

Thanks @john.desborough 

This is currently the logic for Group 2 questions (called ‘Environment)  - relating to the first question (3a) in that group:

I think what it should say is this to ensure that each question’s score gets allocated to the ‘Environment’ group total: 

And work my way through all of the ‘opinion scale’ answer options which are 0 to 5 scoring - but this will take a looong time! 

What I’m trying to add up for each group is to pull the ‘score’ from the score quiz logic set I’ve entered - rather than entering it all within the ‘branching and calculations’ rules. But I clearly don’t understand Typeform well yet! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Leopard Claire - the approach you are taking with the second image is the correct way to go. 

don’t use the @score variable to add to your subtotals.. it acts a little ‘wonky’ as you may have noticed lol.. 

as for taking time, yes it does but you ARE on the correct path. 

des

Badge

Ah ok thanks so much Des :) So there’s no easier / quicker way to do it - maybe using a different  approach entirely…!? I’m not lazy - just looking for time savings ;) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Ah ok thanks so much Des :) So there’s no easier / quicker way to do it - maybe using a different  approach entirely…!? I’m not lazy - just looking for time savings ;) 

I wish there was an easier way to do this .. honestly.. i would  love to have it available.. i recommend putting on your fave music, large cup of coffee/tea and just plug away.. 

(i had to do one for a client that had 27 categories and 27 question groups…. i feel your pain.. )

des

Badge

🙈🤣 Ok I’ll stop my whining… Ouch, that must have taken forever…!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

🙈🤣 Ok I’ll stop my whining… Ouch, that must have taken forever…!! 

@Leopard Claire  the playlist was 4 hours long and i know that it cycled at least once ..lol.. but i did not see sunrise.. so ….

keep in mind that the next time that you have to do a similar quiz, you will have a ‘template’ from which to start - duplicate the file, change the questions and maybe reduce the number of question groups from the bottom - will reduce the number of changes you will have to make to your logic rules.. 

just sayin… 

des

Badge

Haha well I didn’t work late in to the night but did start early and it’s worked - woohoo! Thanks so much Des, without your encouragement I wouldn’t have persisted! 

Thanks also for the tips for the next quiz - I’m sure now I’ve got the hang of it I will use again for something else. Legend you are, thanks :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Leopard Claire - well done.. and thanks for the kind words

des