Answered

Opinion Poll results - how to calculate the difference between before and after rating

• 23 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Hello!

(First time caller!)

I am creating a self assessment quiz with 12 different topics. Each topic has a:

1.) “what do you rate ____ at CURRENTLY” 0-10

2.) “what would be your ‘good enough’ rating for _____” 0-10

i want to create a calculation that would give me the difference between “good enough” - “current” and anyone with a difference score of 4 or more would be the topic we would focus on first. All 12 key aspects differences would be reported in the end screen in line with the category.

Is what I’m asking for possible? And if so, how? Please advise!

Thanks!

Anju

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 23 October 2023, 22:42

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Anju ICU-1111 Thanks for dialing in! 🤣

Just to be certain, are you scoring each of the 12 questions individually? If so, you’d most likely need to use a variable to hold that scoring, and I believe @john.desborough might have a cheat sheet on the way to help a bit with something like this. 

Hi Liz!

😁

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I have created question groups for each of the 12 topics. I just can’t seem to figure out how to format the logic to create the subtraction calculation and have it post as the single response for that topic.

For example, one of my question groups is “Health and Wellness”

So I have 3 questions total for this question group.

1.) Currently, how would you rate how satisfied are you in this category of your life?

2.) What rating would be satisfactory (good enough) for you in this category?

So I created custom variables for each:

1.) @health_now

2.) @health_ideal

and one for the question group @health

I just don’t know if i need all of these variables or how to properly apply them.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Anju

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Anju ICU-1111 @Liz 

first off.. with the 3 variables you have for each ‘category’ like health, you can do the calculation something like this:

create a text variable for the category called something like v_health_text and set the default to “No” - more on that later. 

• if health_ideal is greater than 0 add heath_ideal to health
  • if health_now is greater than or equal to 0 subtract health_now from health
  • if health is greater than or equal to 4 then replace v_health_text with ‘focus’

what that gives you is the following

• you have a value in the health variable that you can use in any further calculations if you have to decide a priority for ‘working on’ an area - more in a bit
  • you have a text variable containing ‘focus’ if the differential in the calculation is GTE 4 -you can use this as a condition to determine if you need to provide info about this category later on in the form (using logic rules) or if you connect to a Google Sheet and do some followup analysis as well

if you do similar for each category (you have 12) then you would have the ability to do something like this:

• if v_text_health is focus then go to statement page health or if v_text_category_two is focus go to statement page category two.. etc.. 

that would walk the user through the series of statement pages that might be applicable to give them some preliminary information within the form. on each statement page, starting with the first one, you would have to then check to see if the next category text variable in line was ‘focus’ and then go to that statement page and so on through the 12 possible statement pages. 

if you were doing that in the question group for health, for example, you could have the user presented with one statement page if the health value was gte 4 or another statement page saying ‘not an issue here’ and then route the user to the next group.

if you want to look at the ‘order of priority’ of the highest differential score in the categories - say someone had a differential of 6 in one category and then a 5 and a 4 - those three categories would show a ‘focus’ needed.. but which one to start with.. if you base that on the highest score you would need to evaluate and determine which one is highest.. tricky part is that you could be solving/evaluating across all 12 categories, have a unique category or anything in between. it does present a challenge - especially if you have to use a tie breaker to determine which one to start with if two or more are tied with the greatest differential.. 

but yes it can be done lol

des

Hi Des,

I want to thank you for your assistance, but I find myself in need of some further clarification on this topic. To give you some context, I'm brand new to Typeform and don't have any experience with basic equations. You can pretty much assume that I know nothing, and I'm starting with a clean slate.

With that in mind, is there a video you could recommend to help me get started? Having a visual reference would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Anju

I have the same problem. I’m trying to just have a series of IMP/SAT questions and have a calculation to subtract the two. I can’t figure out how to do this. 

I have a series of questions like this:

1. How important is X - rate from 1 to 10
  1. How satisfied are you with X - rate from 1 to 10

At the end, I want to show the scores calculated for Q1 (minus) Q2 and show each attribute rating (in this example ‘X’ for the set of IMP/SAT answers. 

Anyone know how to do that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@HRO1 - possible solution: 

• create a custom variable to hold the result of the calculation ie v_q1q2_result
  • then use logic rules like this: 
    • if q1 is greater than 0 add q1 (the selected answer) to v_q1q2_result
    • if q2 is greater than 0 subtract q2 from v_q1q2_result

that approach is how to do the calculations without changing the values associated with the questions

des

To add to this topic. You may want to check out ConvertML which can address your specific need with IMP/SAT survey data from Typeform.

ConvertML essentially simplifies the reporting and analytics process by automatically fetching your Typeform survey responses. This means you won't have to manually transfer data into a spreadsheet and then to the formulas. It's all about making sure your data is ready for analysis without extra steps on your part.

When it comes to analyzing your IMP and SAT questions, ConvertML can streamline that process as well. We can automatically calculate the difference between your importance and satisfaction scores for each attribute. This functionality removes the need for manual calculations.

It doesn't just process your data; it helps you understand it. By visualizing the calculated differences in dashboards like clusters, you can easily identify which areas are meeting expectations and which ones might need improvement. This visual approach makes it simpler to communicate findings across teams and make decisions.

Feel free to contact us if you want any specific advice on this topic. Happy to help!

Contact us Now!