Answered

Form Submit Event in GA4 setup with the Analytics integration.

Badge

Hi

I have a couple of forms (there’ll be more) embedded in my landing page.

I’m interested in one of them particularly and setting the Form Submission as a conversion event in the latest GA4.

I have analytics setup correctly on the underlying forms (I can see the events triggering).

I’m struggling to setup an event type that correctly captures the particular form submission. When I create the custom event, I don’t know what Parameter to use to specify the form I’m after. Is it “Category” as below:

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Liz 25 March 2024, 19:12

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @intersections Happy Wednesday! I hope you’re having a good one. I believe you should just be able to toggle this on like the image below without needing to set it up manually:

Do you see this option in the Events section of your Google Analytics account? 

Badge

Thanks @Liz , I have that on yes but I have multiple forms and I want to define different events for different form submissions so I need a custom event that looks like “Typeform_1_submit” rather than the catch-all event.

Does that make sense?

Badge

Hi @Liz and others, can anyone help with this please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @intersections Ah, got it. In that case, you would first need to create custom definitions like this: 

and then use those in the event setup like you’ve shown above to capture each unique form ID. 

Badge

Hi @Liz thanks for this. Could you make this a little more verbose so I can see the end to end solution with completed entries for my specific use case?

All the best
Ben

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @intersections I sadly don’t have a specific example of this in detail since the setup takes place mostly on the Google Analytics side, but let me ask the tech folks to see if they’ve made a video recently that they’d be willing to share! 

Badge

Thanks @Liz very much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @intersections We don’t have any specific examples of this in a video, but the tech team let me know that the form ID is under the “event_category” parameter, so first, you’ll want to update that. 

Then, you can create an event following the steps here

Badge

Hi @Liz 

I’m really struggling with this. It seems Google Analytics and Ads has just had a big update rendering most of the old FAQs and advice on this forum obsolete.

I guess there are exsting Typeform users who needs support in transitioning across, and newer Typeform users who’ve never managed to get conversions working also in need of support.

My sense is that demoing a setup for starting from scratch will help both cohorts?

Is this something that could be done with a new demo to show setup for both a form submit conversion event and a question passed event with all of the parameters properly tested?

Any advice on timing for updates of FAQ or forum submissions would be gratefully received.

All the best

Ben

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Ben Have you had a chance to look at our guide here? This walks you through using the integration with Google Analytics 4. 

Badge

Yes, but it doesn’t go into how to use the following which you send to Analytics:

- Category for your typeform’s UID

- Action for “TypeformSubmit”

- Label for the name of your typeform

How would I set those up?

Ben

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @intersections Google Analytics has much more specific articles that would be helpful for this. For example, this article walks through how to create a custom dimension in your account.