Answered

Changed Typeform NAME + SUBDOMAIN + LINK and redirected URL now NOT sharing on LinkedIN

• 30 January 2024
  • 11 replies

Hi

I needed to change a PUBLISHED Typeform’s name because of the year change. 

I changed the Typeform NAME at > Shared Workspace >  ‘MYTYPEFORM’ … > RENAME

It went from MYTYPEFORM2023 to MYTYPEFORM2024

Then customised the Typeform subdomain

It went from DEFUALT.typeform.com to CUSTOM.typeform.com 

Then I customised the end of the Typeform link

It went from CUSTOM.typeform.com/OLD to CUSTOM.typeform.com/NEW

I then went to HOVER to change the redirect I have for my website URL to so that it would redirect to my domain to the new Typeform link CUSTOM.typeform.com/NEW

Old URL Hover redirect was DEFUALT.typeform.com/OLD

New URL Hover redirect is CUSTOM.typeform.com/NEW.

✅ The new Typeform NAME works

✅ The new customised the Typeform subdomain WORKS

✅ The HOVER redirect works

BUT

When I share in LinkedIN the OLD Typeform url is being pulled own. It previews in LinkedIN as

❌ Old Typeform name - MYTYPEFORM2023

❌ Old Typeform URL - DEFUALT.typeform.com/OLD

❌ When you click the LINKEDIN preview it redirects to Typeform.com when it should redirect to CUSTOM.typeform.com/NEW

❓WTF is going on?

How do I fix it

Thanks so much for your help. 

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 30 January 2024, 19:45

View original

11 replies

Update. I tried creating a new LINKNEDIN post just with URL. The URL preview in LINKEDIN is the old Typeform NAME with the old TYPEFORM url. If I click the link in the message composer preview it sometimes directs to Typeform.com sometimes to I get “bad Gateway” and sometimes it works. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @skewstudio Have you tried updating the meta settings of the form? 

Hi Liz. Thanks for the response.

Yes I’d done that when if was first published in 23 and then updated as I’d made these changes detailed in the original post. 

It’s the original version that is still being pulled through on LinkedIN not the updated one. 

However. In Typeform on the Share tab, if I tap the LinkedIN icon the correct 2024 share info will preview and links correctly. 

So, to clarify. If I preview FROM Typeform it works. If I write a message or start a post in LinkedIN it won’t. 

This is driving me insane. I’ve emptied cashes. Tried on multiple machines. Same everywhere. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@skewstudio - have you tried out the Post Inspector from LinkedIn? 

This seems to solve the issue for several of my clients when they are posting to LinkedIn. Keep in mind that your post won’t pull up the new meta data details from LinkedIn in the exact instant you post it on LinkedIn. It has to crawl and pull the details and that can sometimes take days… 

Keep in mind that LinkedIn also caches content and it can take a while to update over there as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Exactly what @john.desborough is describing.

LinkedIn has cached an old version of your link.
Using the Post inspector forces Linkedin to crawl the webpage and get the newest version.

Give it a try, and let us know how it works for you.

It worked! Thanks very much for your help everyone.

Hello ! I'm contacting you because I am a nutritionist and I distribute my typeforms (dietary quizzes, nutritional questionnaires) among employees of large companies. The problem is that the domain name typeform.com is blocked in some companies. Therefore, employees of certain companies cannot respond to my typeforms. I would like to change the domain names of my typeforms because I have a domain name for my business, but this is only accessible with the "enterprise" subscription, and it is far too comprehensive for my use since I work alone and have a small business. What can I do?
Thomas

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @TOM7171 Thanks for stopping by the community! I’m afraid we don’t have a workaround for changing the domain name unless you are on an enterprise plan. 

However, you could embed the forms onto your website so the respondent would be directed to that domain instead!

Thanks Liz ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Not a problem! Let us know if you think of any other questions, @TOM7171 . 😁