Dumb Billing Structure - Not Small Business Friendly

• 2 February 2024
  • 12 replies

I have a total of zero submissions on my Typeform with around 50 starts.  The fact that I have to upgrade 3 tiers to a business plan at $100/mo just to see where everyone stops is a bad business model.  Firstly, I’m not gonna pay it because that is too big of a jump just to see one stat.  Second, if I get no submissions, I see no point in upgrading to a paid tier.  The goal is getting submissions.  If I can’t even get one submission its not worth it.  I’m pretty sure that small business is not the target customer for Typeform and that’s why they have their pricing tiers the way they are.  I’ll probably switch to a different platform until we grow big enough to warrant the cost of using Typeform.  Sure, Typeform looks pretty, but I’d rather debug where I am going wrong with a cheaper or free service before going all in on Typeform.  Cheers.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @adrianrobison Thanks for stopping by the community and sharing this feedback. I understand it’s a bit frustrating to pay quite a bit extra to only see where the dropoffs are in your form. Usually, I would suggest integrating with another service, such as Google Analytics, where you can also see this data, but this would also require an upgrade. 😪

Is the only feature you would want on the Business plan the analytics? Or are there any other features you’d like to see on one of the lower paid plans? 

The only feature I care about in any plan is getting a submission.  I get 10 free submissions and currently I have 0 off of about 60 or so people starting the Typeform.  The analytics is the only thing I think that will help me understand what I’m doing wrong, but unfortunately you want $100 for this.  For a medium to large business this is a non-issue, but for a small business running Google Ads for the first time trying to get someone to convert, this is a non-starter.  No chance am I paying $100 for a single feature.  It makes sense to pay more for more submissions, because if I get a bunch of leads, you should get paid.  But I am not paying for “the potential” for leads because I don’t even know if that really is my issue.  It might not even be the Typeform, it might be something else entirely, but it’s not worth it to me for a “maybe you will get leads”.  I feel much better paying when we are both getting value aka I have a growing campaign of submissions and I pay you for higher tiers of submissions.  The way it is currently set up you force me to jump to the highest plan just to find out simple stats.  I’m gonna try to use a competitor like Forms or something else to be honest.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@adrianrobison Ok, thanks! That all makes sense, and I get the frustration. If you want, we’d be happy to take a look at your form here for free and offer some suggestions in the meantime for increasing responses! Sometimes, it’s as simple as changing up the text or the design of the form. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@adrianrobison - where are you promoting your form? how are you getting folks to take to the typeform?  there may be some suggestions about how to get TO an audience as well as what @Liz suggests about the structure of the form. 

cheers

des

Thanks Liz and John, I am open to all suggestions!  A win for me right now is getting a single submission, then 10, then 20, etc…. But I cannot even get 1!  Lol

The form is under the pricing tab on my website:  TigerModeMedia.com

I have 150+ views and 70+ starts as of this writing (we just started this campaign like 2 weeks ago).  I am getting those all from Google Search Ads.  So, from what I can tell, people see the ad, click on it, then see our site and are curious about “How much does this cost?” then they click pricing, enter the Typeform, then everyone says “Nah, I don’t care about pricing enough to give you an email.”  Fair.  I’ve done the same.  But I’m batting 0 for 70, so either pricing is not worth an email, or I’m just not asking the right questions.  I don’t claim to have all the answers and I am a fan of testing something, iterating, testing again, etc.  It’s just hard to test if I am flying blind, hence why I think I might need to switch to a service that might be uglier, but at least I can sort out where I am going wrong, then upgrade to Typeform after the kinks have been worked out and I am starting to get the submissions I am looking for.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Google Ads uses machine learning to narrow down who your relevant audience is, and that takes time.  I have a call with them in 4 days to restructure my ads based on user data, so that might also have an effect on getting Typeform submissions.

Due to the machine learning and time it takes to collect proper data, I will not be swapping out Typeform until I meet with Google (they said change nothing, let the algorithms do it’s thing).  After I meet with them, I plan on making the adjustment to a Google Form or something similar so I can track it better for now.

But yes, if you guys have tips or tricks for success rooted in data, I’d love to hear it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@adrianrobison - i just took a quick look a the form (and did not submit - so i openly admit to being a bad stat for you… ) BUT what i noticed was that the you jump right into asking me what i am interested in.. no preamble, nothing that tells me why i am answering this .. 

maybe a statement page or welcome page to tell me what’s happening with this and why .. before heading straight into questions. 

also on the contact page you say that the pricing is on the next page….maaaaybe a good idea is to ‘seek entitlement’ to ask for the user contact details by using a statement page to show ball park and saying that if I want to get a more detailed breakdown and/or discuss the project, please provide the contact details to do so.. 

(there’s this video from Typeform that sort of covers this topic .. but there are others around) .. 

just a couple of thoughts.. 

des

Gotcha, so basically you suggest the following:

• Welcome page (why are you doing this?)
  • Give the ballpark price first, then ask for the email to talk further
    • Qualifies if that is in their budget
    • Gives value before receiving value

Honestly, that sounds reasonable, I'll try it now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Gotcha, so basically you suggest the following:

• Welcome page (why are you doing this?)
  • Give the ballpark price first, then ask for the email to talk further
    • Qualifies if that is in their budget
    • Gives value before receiving value

Honestly, that sounds reasonable, I'll try it now.

@adrianrobison - yup on all points.. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Tagging @James in case he has any suggestions, too - he’s fantastic with words!

I literally just published an update from John’s suggestions.  Took me all night!

Curious if I am “getting warmer” towards building a more engaging form…

Check it out:  TigerModeMedia.com → Navigate to Pricing to see form.

If James has any suggestions I’m all ears!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @adrianrobison having not seen the previous version I obviously can’t tell what the improvements are but to me this version certainly seems engaging to me. I think the flow is well-paced - for example, I like the way you’ve broken up up the form with a kind of stop check for the “thanks for your details” statement. It’s nice to have these resting points in a longer form to help keep people engaged.

I agree that it can take a little time to build traction so it’s worth sticking with this as the algorithm works its magic. Zero responses from 50 would definitely suggest that it could be a mismatched audience rather than just issues with the form. That said, I reckon it could be worth tweaking the design to make it a little more “on brand” in terms of the colours and fonts – which could up the trust factor. You could even include your logo – though you’d need to be on the Basic plan for this. 

Would love to hear if you’re able to bring in submissions having made these changes. Rooting for you from the sidelines 🤘

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Let us know how it goes with these changes, @adrianrobison !! 😁