Answered

How to find the highest score on a score quiz without going to a tie-break

• 29 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello! I am stuck finding a way to reflect the highest score of my quiz. The concept is that the person is answering 24 questions each question corresponding to a category (4 Groups in total). However, when I complete the quiz the highest score is not being reflected. 

I am trying to find a way to show the highest score without having to go to a tie-break due to the length of the quiz. To break it down:

1. 12 Categories (Cat1, Cat2, Cat3, Cat4, Cat5, Cast6, Cat7, Cat8, Cat9, Cat10, Cat11, Cat12)
  2. 2 Sections per Category:
    1. Ex: Category 1:
      1. Section - 1st Question: Yes/No Answer
      2. Section - 2nd Question: Multiple Choice - More than one answer can be chosen with min 1 and max 3 selections)
  3. 4 Groups (each containing 3 categories):
    1. Group A (Results Cat1 + Cat2 + Cat3 - divided by 3 multiply 100 = X)
    2. Group B (Results Cat4 + Cat5 + Cast6 - divided by 3 multiply 100 = X)
    3. Group C (Results Cat7 + Cat8 + Cat9 - divided by 3 multiply 100 = X)
    4. Group D (Results Cat10 + Cat11 + Cat12 - divided by 3 multiply 100 = X)
  4. We need to compare each Group result and display highest Score.

Thank you! 

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 30 June 2023, 17:59

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Gisela Lowenstein Happy little Friday! Thanks for sending this information over. The post below may help with figuring out how to prevent a tie-breaker: 

@john.desborough is also a champion at this, too!

Thank you for such a fast answer! I was looking over the post and this idea implements a tie-break is there a way to avoid the tie-break or is it needed to include the tie-break for the quiz to work? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Gisela Lowenstein - if you want to avoid the need for a tie breaker, then you need to set up your logic and scoring to ensure there is no possibility of a tie. 

des

@john.desborough do you have any recommendations? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@john.desborough do you have any recommendations? 

that, unto itself is the big question… given that i don’t have any visibility into the outcome that you are trying to obtain and what the scenarios are IF there is a tie, then it is nigh unto impossible to recommend how you score your quiz to avoid ties. 

if you have to have a unique ‘winner’ ie a high score, what’s the probability that in  your questions you are going to end up with ties? ie “you are a definitive A …. or B .. or C… or D” endings

if there are possible outcomes where someone might have 2 scores tied at high, can you allow for that by having an outcome/ending that shows that someone is ‘combo’ ? ie in a Thinking Type profile that i did for a client, we had the following endings available if there were unique or 2 matching out of 4 endings  (if category A = category B and Category A gt C and Category A gt D (by default B would also be higher than c and d if it was equal to a))

• unique A, B, C D types
  • AB, AC, AD, BC, BD, CD types

then if you had to go to the 3 possible ties and endings:

• ABC, ABD, ACD, BCD

so we ended up with 14 possible endings without a tie breaker 

if you don’t allow for the ‘combos’ you either have to have a scoring mechanism to get unique scores or you have to identify that you have ties and you need to put in place a tiebreaker .. 

des

Hi @john.desborough! Thank you for your quick response. 

Ideally, the ending result should show which is your highest group, but in the case that there is a tie-ending as the highest score send the user to their second highest.   

I’ve attached the four ending screens to give you an idea of what the user would see when completing the quiz, based on their highest score: