Insights report does not filter sources like the UTM source

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I found out about the UTM tracking option.

I find that a very useful way to analyze the quiz behavior based on traffic source.

The problem is that when I go to results/insights I am not able to analyze the insights data by traffic source. Makes it very tedious for me to do the filtering manually.

That would be a great improvement to the platform I think.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @guidowalter Happy Friday! While we don’t have filtering features in the Insights section, I’m happy to share this feedback with our product team. 

In the meantime, you could also use a solution like the one below, which would let you have the report looking however you would like. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @guidowalter! Hope you're having a nice day. Did you have time to check the tutorial @Liz has sent above? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I did. Nice work she did. I don’t see how that would be the right tool for getting the insights I am looking for.

Data Studio is useful when there is access to a database.

I get data when somebody submits an answer. I don’t get that information when people drop off. Thats why I upgraded to business to get the insights. Whats missing is the option to filter by traffic source. Thats why UTM codes exist.

What I am looking for is to extract understanding from the insights screen. But without being able to sort by traffic source I am not able to differentiate how visitors from PPC, SEO or direct traffic react. Any comments? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@guidowalter - if you connect your typeform(s) to Google Sheets as one of your options, you will collect the utm parameters on submission of your form. and they are available for your analysis. the image below is just a quick example to to show. 

At the moment, because Typeform doesn’t collect partial submissions, the UTM variables associated with drop offs won’t/aren’t available for analysis

while i agree that filtering on the table view of the results that would all for utm selection would be great tool,  doing the analysis inside of Typeform is not necessarily the best place to do the analytics. Just a recommendation that you can currently do more analysis outside of Typeform - especially if youwant to start connecting other data sets like ad spend and traffic data from your ads, etc to your typeform data 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I am aware of that. That works when data is submitted.

It will not work in case of a drop-off. Nothing will be sent to google sheets.

Thats not my challenge.

It does not help me understand the insights page. I am talking about the typeform analytics. It would be very valuable for me to see the drop-off behavior by traffic source.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I understand. it’s not there because typeform doesn’t currently track that unless and until a form is submitted. 

i have same issue but i have to gather the data from the various ‘sources’ that are ‘clicked’ and do the leg work in google sheets/data studio to determine/compare how many times a source sent someone to the form, how many times someone from that source completes the form  and then i have a gap that corresponds to the drop offs at some point in the system. unfortunately i can’t pinpoint which user from which source dropped off in the typeform as this data is, to repeat, not currently captured by typeform. 

but if i have 90 accesses to a form on a given day with 80 completions and 10 drop offs and a) 85 of source clicks came from source A and only 5 from source B per the tracking of sources and b) 79 utm variables say source A and 1 says source B in my typeform results, then I can pretty much understand how many folks completing or dropping off from a given source. 

that’s as far as I can go with the analysis at this time. and that gives me about 90 percent of the information i need to base my ad spend. 

Typeform does not “have it all” and probably never will have the full gamut of everything i want in it. But the method that i have described above works for me and a handful of clients where we’ve implemented the same approach seems to be ‘enough’ for them at the moment. 

just my opinion and my approach.. 

des

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thank you.