Contributing to a Typeform python package

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello,

Following my last post, i’ve written some functions in Python that generate a test form-response from a supplied form_id. This form response has a random set of valid answers and so simulates a user taking a survey. I’m quite pleased with how this has turned out and we’ll start using this as part of our CI/CD process which should allow our team to have faster form iterations while ensuring our python backend ETL processes don’t break.

Currently this functionality isn’t available in the API or Admin, and I think it’s generally quite useful for testing webhooks and integrations so I wondered about building it into a publicly available library and wanted to discuss that...

I notice there’s the official Typeform package in PyPi, and wondered whether it would be good to integrate any functionality I have into there? I suspect the answer is probably no since that would require QA checks from the typeform team and right now that library has a well defined purpose and corresponding functions. So if that’s the case, I wanted to check there’s no issue/concern with me creating my own public Typeform package of less well defined (but well tested and documented!) functions? Any suggestions of a name? Other thoughts?

Many thanks,

Oliver

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @oliverfarren Tagging @picsoung here who may have some more insight on this! :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @oliverfarren 

Thank for all your hard work and willing to share with the community!

If I understand correctly you want to provide a mocking API to mock the webhook/response payload given a form id?

That’s something we don’t have in any of our SDKs, but could be interesting indeed for the CI/CD cases you mentioned.
If you feel that could be helpful in the Python SDK, feel free to make a pull request and we can look at it together.

Otherwise, you are welcome to create your own library on the side.
And if you want to talk about it we can write an article on our Medium publication, and on our Hack Together livecoding show

Feel free to reach out directly so we can talk about this project :)
nicolas.grenie@typeform.com

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Keep us posted here in the community, too, @oliverfarren ! I’d love to see how this turns out. :grin:

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks @picsoung and @Liz.

I’ve been thinking about this some more and I think for now (and partly my own interest) i’d like to have this functionality as part of my own library that I’ll publish under an open source licence. Maybe at a later stage we can have a discussion to see whether any the functionality might then be suited to be merged into the python sdk or adapted.

I’d love to help inform a Medium publication! Thanks for the email. I’ll reach out when i’ve had some more time to flesh out my ideas for the package and have something to talk about.