Answered

How to accept case insensitive answers

• 18 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I can’t find an option to turn a question of the type “Short Text” into case-insensitive.

If one of my questions has the answer “All right”, it should be accepted “all right”, “ALL RIGHT”, “All Right”, and variations.

How do I do that?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 19 July 2022, 15:44

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Mala - welcome to the Community 

at the moment, there is no method inside Typeform to natively do this sort of ‘assessment’ of input other than putting in place the logic rule(s) that would look at the content - you would have to put in all the possible variations in a logic rule that would look something like this

• if q2 contains “All right” or q2 contains “All Right” or q2 contains “all right” or q2 contains “ALL right” then ….. 

you would have to figure out all the variants and put them into the logic rule stream. 

des

Userlevel 1

Thanks John, I appreciate the promptly answer. I just started testing Typeform to build quizzes with rewards, but maybe it’s not ideal for our needs. It makes no sense, from a coding point of view, that a logical structure won’t accept case insensitive conditions - specially for quizzes, where people may give a right answer but mess with the cases as in “The Curious Case of the Dog at night”… There is no way to predict all the possible variations in long sentences, and multiple choice answers are not ideal in my scenario.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Mala - for some of my clients we Connect the typeform to Google Sheets and use the spreadsheet functions to convert the input into the ‘case insensitive format’ they choose to work with.

that works for them… 

remember this is NOT a coding platform - so natively, it doesn’t contain a bunch of data validation features that you might expect/anticipate. Using the APIs and webhooks you might be able to do what you seek but not in the ‘out of the box, native’ typeform. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks John, got it. I was trying to avoid having to code it, but looks like what I need is indeed more complex. Cheers!