Community Movie Club

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I was reading some of the topics in the Community and noticed that we don't have a space to talk about films and TV series! 📽

Since one of my favorite things in the world is watching movies, I decided to create this thread. Last weekend, I watched King Richard and would definitely recommend it! I love movies that are based on true stories and also the ones that talk about sports (One of my favorites of all time is "The Blind Side").

Not sure what I'm in the mood for now, so I'm here to ask: What are your movie and TV program suggestions? 🍿

138 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ok, very embarrassing, but I just finished the movie below on Netflix. I really wanted something to watch that I wouldn’t get hooked on but I ended up really liking it. 😅 Why couldn’t the end of my high school years be like this?! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ok @Liz I can join you in embarrassing confessions here, I’ve been sticking to easy watches lately and this is the latest movie I watched:

It was actually quite good fun 😂 

I also just finished Grace & Frankie on Netflix and The Gilded Age on HBO Max, would recommend both series if you’re into that kinda thing! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I was wondering if that was any good, @Grace ! I know what I’m doing this weekend!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Liz I think we’ve set the tone really well here 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

ok.. I am gonna toss this documentary out there.. it was the most recent movie I watched.. 

We Feed People ( https://films.nationalgeographic.com/we-feed-people) - it’s on Disney if you have access and to know more about the organization behind it, https://wck.org/

des

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Yeah, @Liz  life is never like it looks in the movies...😉
I would recommend you to watch the lost city, it's a real great one you can get all the info on their site

https://www.thelostcity.movie/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hahahaha I love your movie suggestions, @Liz and @Grace! No shame on that! 🤣

This documentary seems pretty cool, @john.desborough! And it's from Ron Howard from "A Beautiful Mind"! 

Oh, this one is still on the theatres, @the conservative

These days I also watched "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" with Jessica Chastain (she won the oscars for this role!). It's pretty interesting! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I know I'm not a little girl anymore but I have to say that I've watched "Turning Red" and I loooooooooove it! Hehehehehe 💛

What movies do you think I should watch next? Looking for more recommendations! @john.desborough @Darnell @Liz @ActionJackson @the conservative @Grace 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Gabi Amaral I quite dug Turning Red too! Now you’re making me wanna rewatch it, haha! I’d also strongly recommend Pixar’s other releases over the past two years: Luca, Onward, and Soul if you haven’t yet seen those.

Other standalone movie recommendations you might fancy: 

• Everything Everywhere All at Once
  • Candyman (2021 version)
  • Cruella
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ooh I’ve not seen that one @Gabi Amaral I recently watched Encanto which was fun!

I just started watching the new series of the Umbrella Academy - anyone else watching that? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Grace @Gabi Amaral @Darnell @Liz - with a 6 yr old in the house, Disney gets a lot of air time.. Encanto, Luca, Turning Red (though with mom being Chinese, mom and daughter cannot watch it together lol), Luca is great.. Moana has come back into the cycle (Netflix sent me a note that we have now started that movie 750 times… sigh) and all of the princess movies have been rewatched a time or two.. 

Abominable on Netflix is good as well. 

I will admit to Obi Wan Kenobi and want more Mandalorian… If you are a sci-fi-fantasy fan and like Robert Jordan books, they have done a good job imho with The Wheel of Time on Amazon 

lots of music documentaries and a whole bunch of food and water crises documentaries get watched here as well.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Uuh, thank you very much for all of these! I watched Soul, Luca and Encanto! Loved them all! They have such great movies like Inside Out and Coco💙

I started watching "Peaky Blinders" but haven't got caught up on that yet! The episodes are very extensive but it's kind of nice! 

What about you @the conservative and @ActionJackson? Any suggestions? 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Gabi Amaral I liked the first few seasons of Peaky Blinders but after a while it got a bit repetitive… Not sure whether I’m going to watch this season… 

Still need to watch the last season of Stranger Things too!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I once tried to watch The Umbrella Academy, but I couldn’t get into it for the life of me. Maybe I need to give it a go again!

@Darnell I loved Soul!! What a great film. I met the writers of it back at a conference last year, and I just love their approach to Pixar films. 

@john.desborough I just saw Encanto, but I need to see Turning Red! I’m trying not to have to restart my Disney+ subscription, so I need to make a new friend that has it first ha!

I was in a full-on creative workload this weekend, so I watched some movies that would make me think and loved them! Added them below. I think they’ve become two of my top favorite movies within the last few years. 

I think the guy in the second movie is in Peaky Blinders, if I read his bio right, @Gabi Amaral @Grace !

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ooh both of these look good @Liz! I need Hulu 😂 

He is in Peaky Blinders, he’s not a main part though, he’s just one of the outer circle. Written by Katy Brand though, she’s a British comedian, haven’t seen her do anything for a while so that’s v cool! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Ooooo! I LOVE movies. I could geek out forever on movies and film. Some of the more recent ones I’ve seen that left an impact on me were (in no particular order): Nightmare Alley, The Eyes of Tammy Faye, Don’t Look Up, and THE LAST DUEL. OMG it’s so good. It’s a historical nonfiction (based on true accounts of the last ‘duel to the death’ in medieval France) and it’s subject matter is kind of heavy but SO intellectually stimulating. One of those movies I could watch anytime, any number of times 😊

@Grace @Liz @Gabi Amaral @john.desborough 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'll take a look at this "The Last Duel", @ActionJackson 👀

For now, I haven't had time to watch a lot of movies, but I'm planning to get back at them next week. I've been wanting to go back to watch Stranger Things. I stopped at season 2! Has anyone watched it? @Grace @Darnell @john.desborough @the conservative @Liz 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ooh I still need to watch the latest series of Strangers Things @Gabi Amaral! Is it the last one ever? 

I haven’t watched anything new lately, I did spot House of Gucci is on Prime so I might try to watch that this week at some point. 

On Friday I went to the open-air cinema at Montjuic Castle to watch Pulp Fiction, haven’t seen it in years! Was fun taking a picnic and watching it in the castle garden 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Liz oh wow, so those are two your most recent fav movies!? Heard about Leo Grande, but not about The Worst Person in the World. Both give me some strong arthouse vibes (a good thing) and Leo Grande’s premise is fascinating so I’m def gonna see that one. Plus, Emma Thompson is a hoot, ha!

@ActionJackson let me find out you *love* watch and talk about films as much as me!? I saw and really liked the first two you mentioned last year but haven’t seen Don’t Look Up but The Last Duel is now on HBO Max, which I have, so I should now watch it since you really liked that one. Ridley Scott is def a hit or miss director IMO which is one of the reasons I skipped that one in theaters.

@Gabi Amaral no I haven’t seen any of Stranger Things yet but of course it’s a culture phenom now so maybe I should take the plunge and watch the first 4 seasons, ha! Series-wise ATM, I’m simultaneously watching Silicon Valley, Hacks, and Westworld which are all streaming on HBO Max. Oh and we’re also watching Better Call Saul as the final 6 eps of the entire series start streaming next Mon. Obvi, I’m a busy a person, so I try to get these in in the evenings and weekends, ha!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I've watched the first two seasons of Stranger Things, then I confess I got a bit tired of it...but maybe I'll go back to it. The first two seasons are great! Will let you know!

@Grace Oooh...how was the open movie? I think I'll go on Friday!! Do you also have some of these summer open movies events where you are @Darnell @ActionJackson

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The movie was great @Gabi Amaral if you decide to go I recommend taking something warm to wear as it gets quite chilly when the sun goes down up there, and I would book to sit in a chair area for maximum comfort 😂

I felt the same way about Stranger Things. I could have finished after season 3, I think it’s why I’m taking so long to start season 4 😅 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Gabi Amaral we do, just in diff ways. For instance, we have drive-ins throughout the States but are probably non-existent closer to me. And then, in our neighborhood, we have summer movie nights at the community pools.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for the tips, @Grace! Hehehehe

Uuuuh summer movie nights seem amazing! Don't forget to take photos and share them with us next time you go!  

Yesterday we had a community team offsite and we were talking a lot about a horror movie called "MidSommar"! So weird! I'm not into horror movies but I had to watch this one these days since there were a lot of midsummer festivals going on in Europe at the moment! Hahahahah. I do not recommend this though! 😅

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Gabi Amaral yeah, I like Florence Pugh, but I’m staying faaaaaaar away from MidSommar, ha! It’s even scarier just imagining whatever the hell she’s looking at in most of the publicity photos let alone actually seeing it on camera. That said, other flicks of that ilk that I liked are Get Out, Us, Swallow, and Annihilation. I think those are probably easier watches, ha!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hahahaha yes @Darnell, if you're a fan of Florence Pugh, it's better to watch Little Women instead! By the way, I highly recommend this one. It's beautiful! 

Have you watched this one? @ActionJackson @Liz @Grace @john.desborough