Answered

Embedded typeform triggers goal in analytics but not in adwords

Userlevel 1

Hello all! I have an issue here, thank you for your help.

My problem is, Adwords is not recognizing conversions as coming from Adwords, it is shown as direct.

My sole source of traffic is Adwords.

The typeform is embedded on a landing page.

I added GTM to my typeform, and created a goal based on events in GA. The goal is triggering correctly.

I imported the conversion from GA to AdWords.

We have 2 conversions today but none are showing from Adwords, only direct in GA

How do I fix this?

Thank you for your help!

icon

Best answer by Nik 22 June 2021, 23:00

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @popoff thanks for stopping by! Were the responses submitted after you setup the goals? 

We also have this post here that may help, too! :) 

Userlevel 1

Hi @popoff thanks for stopping by! Were the responses submitted after you setup the goals? 

We also have this post here that may help, too! :) 

Yes the responses were setup after I setup the goals, the issue is Analytics is not recognizing the traffic source of the embedded form as AdWords, but as direct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @popoff since we don’t track UTM sources automatically, you’ll need to add these as hidden fields into your form. Our post below can walk you through the steps to set this up, and I’ve added them below the article here, too. :) 

You may see “direct source” listed in Google Analytics because our forms don’t currently have a native functionality for cross-domain tracking.

A workaround for this would be to follow the setup utilizing hidden fields to pass these values into Google Analytics. 

Have more than a few sources you’d like to capture dynamically? Dive into the more advanced setup below!

1. Make sure you have connected your typeform to Google Analytics. Check out our help center article for more info.

2. Go to Typeform Builder (Create Panel) and add two hidden fields to your form.

3. Name them utm_source and utm_medium. It should look something like this:

5brdvy1zLNbYQdZFZqWbDi7i_oUcPr7ZifZXBiim7__J4sJYXvWH7byB_uv-DqGVIsGnU1xyMptffaZzfeWE62fjKYrD9H9JLULOZyj6nQisYpWB11ux7r3AYYzuDBY98Q07XGOk

The URL on the right side now displays differently to include the hidden fields.

3. Now when you share your typeform, modify those values to contain information related to your hidden fields and those will show in Google Analytics. Here is an example of how the data should appear below:

https://hellothere.typeform.com/to/t6YZgb?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=online_marketing&utm_campaign=summer

4. This is how it would show in my Analytics:

Zg4QXW515Jc0-fRDQzwheta4YCMFztYwdWs2nHdTftQCCzcsIyWV6bbGMx9CVy9BziBnpRWeDfLwYv00dS11VSZ5wJ5Rc2_y-mXHSxoy-89szPgUHF08MIJzFXhWkt2PHU6MK2Vg

Hello there, 

I have the same issue and unfortunately I don’t think the last solution will work as we don’t share directly the link of the typeform.

The typeform is embedded on a page of our website.

This is the journey of a user : google search » he clicks on our Ad » he arrives on our website » then he completed the typeform

This is currently not counted as a Google Ads conversion but as direct whereas it should be counted as a Google Ads conversion.

So we have several issues here : 

1. Google Ads conversion (which is the Analytics goal importer in Google Ads) is not counting any conversion. The tag is inactive
  2. The Analytics goal is working properly and count a goal each time a typeform is submitted 

Can you tell us how to make sure conversions are counted in Google Ads when a typeform is submitted ?

And can you tell how to make sure the source of trafic is AdWords even if the user went on our website then completed the embeded typeform ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Spaag we have a discussion below on tracking this data that should help you out. Let us know if you have any issues passing that data through. One thing to note is that since we don’t have an integration with Google Adwords, you may need to contact their support team for further help setting up any connections between Google Analytics and Google Adwords. 

We have a typeform embedded across our entire site with multiple sources of traffic coming in to the site with multiple URLs. Am I able to pass the UTMs into the typeform so we can identify which channels is driving the most submits in Google Analytics? I’m sharing those goals with Google Ads.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We have a typeform embedded across our entire site with multiple sources of traffic coming in to the site with multiple URLs. Am I able to pass the UTMs into the typeform so we can identify which channels is driving the most submits in Google Analytics? I’m sharing those goals with Google Ads.

That’s a great question, @Nik ! And, WOW! That’s an impressive setup. I’d like to know the answer to this as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Nik I agree - a great question! On the URLs that are driving traffic to your site, are you able to add information to those URLs to pass information out? If you don’t mind providing more information on the setup from the URLs directing traffic, that will help me answer this question better!

Hi @Nik I agree - a great question! On the URLs that are driving traffic to your site, are you able to add information to those URLs to pass information out? If you don’t mind providing more information on the setup from the URLs directing traffic, that will help me answer this question better!

Typeform is serving as the form across our entire site (span.io). I’m driving traffic from multiple sources (search, facebook, email, etc.) I need to see conversion data by source in Google Analytics, but with conversions happening on Typeform (different domain), all is coming in as “direct traffic”.

I’m not sure there is a clean way to dynamically pass in landing page UTMs into the Typeform. Wondering if the solution is just as simple as creating a thank you page on span.io to capture the traffic source on the same domain?

I think we got it! For reference if it helps anyone.

1. We created a thank you page hosted on our domain.
  2. Recreating the thank you screen at the end of the Typeform to require a submit and route the user to the thank you page.
  3. Adjusted our Google Tag Manager GA variable to be set up for cross-domain tracking and added typeform.com as a second domain.
  4. Created a GA goal on the new thank you page.
  5. Ignore typeform.com as a referring URL in our GA property settings.

4 tests in my sandbox have now all come through cleanly in Google Analytics.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Sweet @Nik! that sounds like a nice simple yet elegant solutions. 

duly noted by this user!

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Nik Ah! This is a great solution - thanks for sharing! I’ve previously read that it’s good to send people to a thank you page to easily track conversions, so let us know how this works out for you as you receive more submissions!

Hi @Nik could please show how to ignore typeform.com as a referring in Universal Analytics?

🙏🏻

Badge

@Nik i am almost here. Only 3. i do not get? Can you explain this. 

1. Adjusted our Google Tag Manager GA variable to be set up for cross-domain tracking and added typeform.com as a second domain.

Thanks a lot