[Meaningful Mondays] How Diversity Impacts The Bottom Line

• 25 May 2021
  • 4 replies
[Meaningful Mondays] How Diversity Impacts The Bottom Line
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
  • Director of Brand at Typeform
  • 13 replies

I was challenged by a friend to do a quick presentation on why diversity matters for business. So, I made a short video. But let’s be clear. It doesn’t just apply to hiring. Think about what travel experiences do for you. Or think about traveling without traveling (reading, or some other immersive experience) and meeting with people who aren’t like you, etc.

Of course, you can always read McKinsey’s study on Diversity here. The point is, expose yourself to different ways of thinking, different perspectives and personalities, and different cultures & behaviors than yours.

Just keep an open mind and your world, the world, benefits.

Paul

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for that @paul . I hadn’t seen that wolves video before, it’s incredible and makes for a brilliant analogy :wolf: 

Beyond hiring people from diverse backgrounds, I also think the Typeform Community can be a great conduit for river-changing. One of the things that excites me about it on a personal level is that as it grows it’s going to open up our “habitat” to all manner of eagles, beavers, otters, mice and foxes. Looking forward to having my mind opened on a regular basis :hugging:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@paul - thank you! The story about the wolves has resonated for several years. Diversity and inclusion is a big thing in my world: from creating the first “accessible HTML DTD” and ‘Accessibility Assessment” for the Government of Canada in 1994/5, to being part of a partner working group with Documentum looking at accessibility across their tools in 2004-2007, to my eldest daughter, a self-identified “non-binary queer”, opening up a yarn shop with her wife in Montreal and becoming a voice in North American fibre-arts community for inclusion and diversity at the same time as making the store a focal point for the knitting and the LGTBQ+ communities. And even dealing with ‘age-ism’ at my ripe old age of soon-to-be 61 - sometimes you need a crusty curmudgeon around if you want to serve that age group with your products and services. 

Tying the UI/Accessibility presentation from Typeform last week to your slides about the woman who could not hear the Spotify playlist was well done. And it does make you think - what can we do if we don’t have ‘a wolf’ we can introduce? Maybe planting a few flowers to help the bees and birds… so instead of giving a bouquet, how about some potted flowers that can be enjoyed inside then go into the garden to help start the change? 

With the ‘gig economy’ upon us in full swing, maybe we need to consider not just hiring folks into the company but also on contract, to help us address diversion and inclusion features in our products and services? And maybe add this to the partner ecosystem of Typeform?

Thanks for opening eyes, AGAIN, and in a good way, Paul. I am always eager to see these posts 

cheers

des

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Appreciate your take, John. I think in particular that tech has an ageism problem, where the excuse most of the time is “not a culture fit”. Again, working against their own interests because, as we all know, older people have all the money.

I agree about hiring more people on contract. It’s something we’re definitely thinking about at Typeform. Let’s keep the conversation going.

p

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thank you, Paul. Loved the video, loved the analogy.

And sadly what you said about ageism in Tech is sth I see a lot as well.

Let's hope more and more companies will realise that diversity is a huge factor for innovation.

Hope y'all having a good Wednesday!