Answered

Asking for Percentages in a Question

• 6 March 2024
  • 6 replies

How do you ask a question so that the individual can put in the %? For example, I am asking a demographic question about the % of population served is Female, Male, Transgenders, Undisclosed. But I want them to answer with %, for example 50% female, 20% male, etc. 

Do I need to just ask each question separately or just provide a text box for them to write it in?

icon

Best answer by Liz 11 March 2024, 15:32

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @UndieChest What a fun username! While we don’t have exactly a percentage question, you could use the number question and state in the description to add the number as a percent. 

So if the question is what are the demographics of your organization and we want to get percentages for Male, Female, etc., we would need to ask this question for each area we wanted a percentage or just have them write it in a text box, correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That’s correct, @UndieChest . I would also recommend using the number field to ensure they enter in a number instead of other text. 

I also decided to shift a bit and use a range of percentages, people seem to be more comfortable selecting a multiple choice with a range of percentages. Also it will make it easier to roll up for reporting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@UndieChest  - depending on your need for logic rules within the typeform, you could use a Matrix question that would have the ‘ranges’ on one axis and the groups on the other.. would reduce the number of question pages to go through BUT can’t put any logic rules in place for Matrix questions. 

capturing the data into a Google Sheet or Excel file via Connect function would let you get the responses into a format that could be used. 

just a thought

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @UndieChest Oh that’s interesting to note. If you’d be open to it, I’d love to see the typeform in which you ended up using multiple choice!

@James could be interesting to share if they’re open to it!