Answered

'+' being stripped from url variables

• 29 June 2021
  • 8 replies

I’m passing an email address as a url variable to the form (hidden field) but typeform is converting ‘+’ character to a space, both in the question display when using the @email variable in the question copy, and when saved to DB (and gsheet).

So email is passed as:

example+1@gmail.com

And it’s being saved and displayed as:

example 1@gmail.com

Is anyone else experiencing this?

icon

Best answer by Liz 6 July 2021, 16:51

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @AliAdair Thanks for stopping by! I believe this is expected behavior, but I’m checking with our technical support team to double check on this. 

If you have any questions in the meantime, please let me know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi again, @AliAdair Apologies for the delay on this. I’m afraid this is expected behavior, as the + in URL encoding adds a space in the URL, but I have shared this feedback with our product team. 

If you have any other questions or suggestions, please let us know. 

Hi @Liz 

I guess that what @AliAdair is asking is a way to encode parameters in URL so that special characters (as ‘+’) can be properly escaped.

For instance, Per RFC 2396, the ‘+’ sign, has to be encoded as ‘%2B’ so that it can be properly decoded as a ‘+’ on the target server.

Any chance you can check with your technical support team if this is possible?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @stepful This isn’t possible at the moment, but I’ve shared this feedback with our product team. :grinning:

Hey,

I run into the same problem - 

At the end of my typeform I want to direct them to calendly and pre-fill the email field.

in case the email includes ‘+’ it turns it into a space.

Do you have a feature of encoding url maybe?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Tamar Happy winter! Thanks for stopping by. We don’t have this feature available, but happy to share the feedback with our product team. 

Hi @Tamar Happy winter! Thanks for stopping by. We don’t have this feature available, but happy to share the feedback with our product team. 

This isn’t a feature, it’s a bug… a really bad bug. Taking user provided text and putting it directly in a URL without first URL-encoding the data is a security vulnerability and high-severity bug. Can you please escalate this to the engineering team to be fixed ASAP? I’m hitting the same bug where anytime someone puts a & or / in an input box, it breaks the redirect URL at the end of the form. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @SurveyIntegrationInc While we’ve shared this with the product team, I’m afraid we don’t have any updates on whether or not this feature will be implemented. As always, if that changes, we’ll post so here.