Answered

Can we set the question form, so that users cannot copy the question text?

• 21 January 2024
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I will be using typeform as an assessment tool, my aim is to restrict users to copy the question text. Is there a feature that allows this?

icon

Best answer by mathio 26 January 2024, 10:50

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @fili Happy Monday! Thanks for stopping by the community. 

I’m afraid we don’t have this feature available but I can share this idea to the product team. 

There might be a hacky workaround using code if you embed it on your website. @mathio may possibly have some suggestions for this. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Liz and @mathio , thank for your answer. May I know, when the feature will possibly be released? It might be special for premium users because my team has a premium account.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@fili - one issue you might face is that users can still screen capture the quiz. it could take a while but they could screen cap all the pages and convert them into text if they want to spend the time. 

just sayin’ it’s gonna be difficult

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

HI @fili I’m afraid this isn’t a feature we will offer (at least that I’m aware of). @Stu Grant let us know that this is actually for accessibility purposes so that the screen readers can read off the text. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @fili 

I dont think Typeform will provide such feature out of the box.

However there might be a hacky solution to your issue. You can use Google Tag Manager (GTM) in your typeform.

1. Setup a Google Tag Manager account (if you dont have one already)
  2. Connect GTM to your typeform
  3. Add custom HTML tag in GTM with the following code: 
<style>
body {
-webkit-user-select: none;
-ms-user-select: none;
user-select: none;
}
</style>

The user-select CSS property will prevent users from selecting the text.

Since this is hacky solution there is no guarantee this will not break some of your typeform features.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @fili it would be good to understand what you’re trying to achieve by restricting the copying of the question text. 

I would assume that this is to either prevent leakage of private information outside of the form or reuse the copied text elsewhere in the form itself to prevent cheating in a quiz or test. 

Disabling the ability to copy text is possible but is a low barrier and very easily overcome with very little working knowledge of how websites are made. As @mathio has mentioned there are a few hacks you can do but I ask you to be mindful of your audience when doing these as some users rely on this when using a screen reader read aloud the content, or to help with increasing the text contrast when struggling with reading difficulties.

If you’re still looking to prevent the content from being copied one option you could try is to add the text as an image and then embed the image in the question, but again you should provide a text alternative of the copy so that it is accessible and usable by as many people as possible. 

I hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Dear friends, thank you very much fot the solutions you are offers. I will try it as solution. Thank youu

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Let us know how it goes, @fili !

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @fili 

I dont think Typeform will provide such feature out of the box.

However there might be a hacky solution to your issue. You can use Google Tag Manager (GTM) in your typeform.

1. Setup a Google Tag Manager account (if you dont have one already)
  2. Connect GTM to your typeform
  3. Add custom HTML tag in GTM with the following code: 
<style>
body {
-webkit-user-select: none;
-ms-user-select: none;
user-select: none;
}
</style>

The user-select CSS property will prevent users from selecting the text.

Since this is hacky solution there is no guarantee this will not break some of your typeform features.

Dear @mathio 

I try to connect my Google Tag Manager with Typeform, but the notification said “That tracking code isn’t right. Please try again”. Even though my Google Tag Manager ID is correct. What should I do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Are you using a value starting with GTM- followed by 4-10 letters or numbers?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, like this

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I am sorry but I am unable to help you any further. Please contact our support.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Okay, thannk you @mathio 

When our clients are responding through typeform some use copy/paste for their answers.  Is there a way to prevent them from being able to paste answers into the answer field?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Ldowns I moved your post here where we have an existing conversation about this. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @Ldowns 

I dont think this solution applies to your issue. The CSS snippet I mentioned above only prevents from copying text form form. It does not prevent users from pasting into inputs.

While this is doable with a lot of custom JavaScript injected via GTM, I am not going to provide a solution. Not only because this is a bad practice, but also because any updates on Typeform side might break your solution in future, leaving you with a broken form.

However if you really want to build something like this, you can start with this StackOverflow thread.

No, this doesn’t help me but thank you.  My question got moved here as they thought it was the same question.  I didn’t think they would have a solution but I had to ask. Thanks so much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Ldowns I put your post here to condense both the copy/paste questions for items in the public form. 😀