Skip to main content
Answered

Group questions

• 24 May 2021
  • 6 replies

Me again! I am building an application form and want to collect existing loan details. So I want to ask, for example, how many credit cards do you have? I then want a separate group of questions, equal to the number of credit cards they have stated. For example, they say 3 credit cards, so I want 3 groups that will ask who the lender is, that the current balance is, how much is paid each month.

Can this be done?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Peter B !

From a fellow community member (and someone who works in the mortgage industry :)) - I don’t believe the exact setup you’re looking for is available based on the ‘on demand generated follow-up’ to a question. 

A potential work around, however, could be asking a multiple choice question with a logic jump to the corresponding form. So it might look something like this:

1. How many credit cards do you have? 
    1. 0 - add logic jump that takes them to the question after this question 
    2. 1 - add logic jump to a page with 1 short text field (in optional description, indicate what you want them to include)
    3. 2 - add logic jump to a page with 2 short text fields (in optional description, indicate what you want them to include)
    4. 3 - follow same pattern as above
    5. 4 - follow same pattern as above
    6. 5+ - if they choose 5+ add logic jump to a page with options 6, 7, 8, 9, 10+ and follow the same pattern on 10+ as 5+

After they complete the page with the appropriate credit card information, add a jump to the next question. 

Will this help you gather the information you need?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Peter B @vickioneill - from another user here.. 

i use a slightly different metaphor/approach  to this:

• create the maximum number of question groups you want to have people walk through (say 10) in your typeform - create the first one and then duplicate it 9 times is the easy route
  • create a variable, say cardcount, that you will set to the answer in your question of ‘how many cards do you have?’
  • jump to your first question group on card and at the end of it, subtract 1 from the cardcount variable and if it is equal to 0 then kick out. otherwise go to the next qgroup for the next card. then repeat. 

the simple example at this link shows a method for asking how many people you want to add to an rsvp list - i set the max to 10 - and it uses the method above (for single questions in this example but i have used it in a question group example) to walk the user down the number of entries to make. 

i have included a couple of images to show how i do the logic using a variable called namecount in this example

hope that helps 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

So much easier when I see it visually, des. Nicely done (and much more efficient than the method I mentioned). 

That’s why @john.desborough is always a ‘go to’ with the expertise, @Peter B !!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Des/Vicki. thank you both so much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Peter B - let us know how it works.. cheers

des

Yes, this can be done! To achieve this, you can use conditional logic in your form-building tool. Here’s a general approach:

1. **Initial Question:** Start by asking how many credit cards the user has.

2. **Conditional Logic:** Based on the number of credit cards entered, display the corresponding number of question groups.

3. **Dynamic Groups:** Each group should contain questions like the lender's name, current balance, and monthly payment.

Many form builders, such as Google Forms, Typeform, or advanced form plugins for WordPress like Gravity Forms or WPForms, support conditional logic to show or hide fields based on previous answers. This way, you can dynamically present the right number of question groups based on the user's input.

If you're coding the form yourself, you can use JavaScript to dynamically generate the question groups based on the user's input. 

Feel free to reach out if you need further guidance on implementing this!