Answered

Hi, is there an A/B testing option available?

• 24 December 2021
  • 12 replies

Hi, is there an A/B testing option available?

This is SO IMPORTANT to test which entry forms and marketing tactics work best to achieve form goals.

The only way to perform better is to always be testing!

icon

Best answer by Gabi Amaral 27 December 2021, 10:18

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @Kendrea! I hope you're having a nice day! :blue_heart:

We do not have (yet) an A/B test feature. Most of our customers don’t have enough traffic for it to be a viable option so it's not too off the list, but we do plan on getting to it.

What you can do on this case is create 2 different forms and AB test the forms with other tools like your marketing tools. We have seen users AB testing forms by putting them in different emails sent out via Mixpanel for example. Do you think this would work for you? 

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to ask and we'll be more than happy to help! 

All the best! :pray_tone2:

Is there any updates on a/b test feature?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @jo73_bring This isn’t currently on the roadmap, but if anything changes, we’ll post about it here!

Hello, I am also looking for a way to create embedded experiments in a survey. 

In the tool I currently use (Limesurvey) what we do is create a random variable (1 or 2, example) and in question A we put a conditional to display if it is 1 and in question B we put a conditional to display if it is 2.

So I ask: is there any way to simulate the creation of this random variable for me to use in the conditionals? Maybe this is a simpler implementation than doing a whole A/B test interface.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Max Stabile @john.desborough might have a workaround for you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Max Stabile - how to people arrive at your typeform? are you using a crm to send the users to the form? 

if you are, you could possibly segment your users and assign a hidden variable (1 or 2) and add it to the typeform url you are sending to the users. that way you can use the logic rules to evaluate which question to show based on the value of the hidden variable. 

you could also drive this out of a google sheet where you have the users’ names and emails, the url to the typeform and have a random number generated to be either 1 or 2 in your example and then send the link out of google sheets to the user with the hidden variable appended, to be used in the aforementioned logic rules.. you would need to use something like Document Studio, an add-on for google sheets to send the email out. 

just some thoughts

des

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Stumbled on this post while checking if TypeForm had embedded A/B testing options.

You can define a random variable when embedding the form in Javascript. Then use this random variable like you would use any variable in TypeForm.

<div id="tf"></div>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="//embed.typeform.com/next/css/widget.css" />
<script src="//embed.typeform.com/next/embed.js"></script>
<script>
window.tf.createWidget('<form-id>', {
container: document.getElementById('tf'),
hidden: { random_var : (Math.random()>0.5) ? 1 : 0 }
});
</script>

Or if you want 3 options equally distributed:

<div id="tf"></div>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="//embed.typeform.com/next/css/widget.css" />
<script src="//embed.typeform.com/next/embed.js"></script>
<script>
var rnd = Math.random();
window.tf.createWidget('<form-id>', {
container: document.getElementById('tf'),
hidden: { random_var : (rnd > 2/3) ? 3 : (rnd > 1/3) ? 2 : 1; }
});
</script>

If your form is not embedded using JS, this won’t work, but if you have a Business Plan, you can set a value to a variable using the technique I mentioned here:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @jeremielp thank you so much! This is super helpful! 😀

@typeform why on earth wouldnt you implement a basic optimization tool like split testing? i want to put in various questions and optimize to lower the drop off rate for the whole formular. even better on the actual buy after the formular by feeding that back. much as i would optimize an ad. theres tons of money to be made if you offered this feature. i would also want to set up multiple forms and habe them automaticly selected based on performance after x amount of applications.

@jeremielp thanks so much. ill try it out. 

i understand correctly that i randomly assign a number into a hidden field (to create a groupe), then route the customer through a different logic-route behind it and compare results manually?

that means i can only optimize from page2 on in the form, correct?

Any answer to this yet?

A/B testing is such an important feature, would hope y’all had it by now (2 years later).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

HI @VonStryker Nothing at the moment, but if that changes, you’ll hear about it here first!