Answered

Hide questions based on other survey responses

Hi everybody

I would like to know if there's a solution to help me with a sales process please.

I want to give our sales team a simple survey to complete where they will mark off what services the customer wishes to proceed with in their initial meeting.

We then send the customer a much more detailed questionnaire asking for more details to progress their order. 

Ideally, i only show them the relevant sections, so if they don't want website design then I don't ask for information about that. So essentially after a logic flow between surveys.

Eg, if customer wants services A,B,E then send next survey hiding sections C & D.

I am comfortable with Zapier if that's an option.

Cheers, Brendan

icon

Best answer by Liz 14 August 2021, 00:37

View original

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @BSh5p Happy Friday! This can definitely be done using logic jumps and/or hidden fields. 

In general, you’ll want to use this process here to setup logic jumps to only show questions if they apply based on the answers they’ve provided. 

If you want to use two different forms but only show the questions that apply on the second form, I would suggest using hidden fields to pass in information and use that information to then jump to the corresponding question based on the hidden field. 

To pass the data into the hidden field, you’d probably need to enter it manually like: 

yourdomain.typeform.com/to/salesfieldhere=typeofservice

by editing the piece in bold each time. 

Would something like this work for you? 

Thanks for the quick reply Liz.

Would logic jump still work to show questions that are not in a row, like showing questions A,B,E or will it only allow me to skip to a question in the first instance then continue the rest?

Hopefully it's obvious that I want one survey with sections A through F for each service rather creating 6 surveys, and customers may have all services or any random mix.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @BSh5p Apologies for the delay - I’ve been out on holiday. 

I would suggest having the questions you want to show in chronological order because our jumps won’t function correctly if you’re moving backwards and forwards in the form. (It only works moving forward.) Though, you can skip questions continually throughout the form, even if they aren’t in the first group.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you think of any other questions. :grinning:

Userlevel 1
Badge

When using the logic I am prompted to select to “jump to” a given question or statement. 

What I am looking to do is hide or remove a given question group based on preliminary questions.

ie. If someone says they are “male” they will not be asked certain questions, which a female would answer.

This will also apply to multiple selection questions…

ie. What other health concerns would you like us to look at?

1. bone health
  2. gut health
  3. liver health
  4. energy
  5. cognition

If the user selects Bone Health and Energy how do we ensure the other question groups are hidden and they only answer question in the Bone Health and Energy subsections?

Thank you so much in advance for the help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Cameron C Happy Monday! I added your question here where we have the answer. Let me know if you have any trouble setting this up!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks so much Liz!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Welcome, @Cameron C ! Let me know if you think of any other questions. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Liz, unrelated but I need help with something here. Are you able to assist?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Cameron C Feel free to post any other questions you have here or in a new thread! If it’s about a different topic, it may make sense to post a new thread (in case anyone else has the same question). 

Hello, I’m looking to do the same thing as Cameron C. I do not see the here --  “added your question here where we have the answer” Jump logic is not going to work as I’m looking to hide a question based on the answers a few questions back. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @kitty could you send us a screenshot of what you already have set up and what’s not working? Thanks!

I ask Gender in Question 4. I want to hide Question 12 if the gender is female as the question only applied to males.

At this point I can only see a way to jump, not hide questions based on conditional logic.

Kari

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @kitty , though can you please send a screenshot of what you have setup for logic jumps? 

When using the logic I am prompted to select to “jump to” a given question or statement. 

What I am looking to do is hide or remove a given question group based on preliminary questions.

ie. If someone says they are “male” they will not be asked certain questions, which a female would answer.

This will also apply to multiple selection questions…

ie. What other health concerns would you like us to look at?

1. bone health
  2. gut health
  3. liver health
  4. energy
  5. cognition

If the user selects Bone Health and Energy how do we ensure the other question groups are hidden and they only answer question in the Bone Health and Energy subsections?

Thank you so much in advance for the help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @averagestuden Thanks for stopping by! It looks like your message is missing. Is there something we can help you with? 

I want to Skip/Hide #7 based on the answer in question #5.  So I do not want to skip question #6 and I do not want to reorder the questions

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @kitty I can’t quite see the logic jump set up in your screenshot since it’s cut off, but you would basically want to add this logic jump on question #6. Then, the respondent won’t skip the 6th question and after they answer it, they’ll either skip over 7 or be shown 7 based on their answer to #5. 

Let us know if you have any trouble setting that up. 

@Liz thanks for your response. It doesn’t work to have the logic on question #6 as the female/male question needs to be on #5 for the survey flow. It doesn’t work to make that question #6. But you answered my question. There is no “Hide” logic on Typeform, only Jump logic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah yes, that’s correct, @kitty ! Let us know if you think of any other questions. :grinning:

Ah yes, that’s correct, @kitty ! Let us know if you think of any other questions. :grinning:

Hi, Liz! Will the functionality to hide certain questions be added in the near future? It’s an important piece of logic in my opinion. I have the same problem with a survey I’m working on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Jim36 This isn’t on the roadmap currently, but I would suggest using the logic jumps in the meantime!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi - I just wanted to echo Jim36, Cameron C, and others.  We’re evaluating a move to Typeform from another platform, and I’m now testing logic capabilities.  My aim is to hide certain questions that aren’t relevant, based on responses earlier in the survey.  Currently, I’m at a standstill to see if this is really going to work without significant reworking.  I’m going to give some branching and grouping a try, but it would be MUCH faster to simply hide questions based on conditions.  Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Let us know if you have any trouble setting up those logic jumps, @CarolinaMark !

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks @Liz - FYI, the steps I’ve taken today are to:

1. Clone my main survey so I can experiment with logic, and
  2. Added scores to some of my questions/responses, and implemented skip logic based on scoring.

I’ve now successfully “hidden” a couple of questions based on scoring.  I’m gaining some confidence. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wooo!! Glad to hear, @CarolinaMark ! We’d love to see the form once you’ve completed it, too! 😃