Answered

How do you do reverse scoring for likert type rating questions?

• 10 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi

I have created a series of likert scale questions from an established measure and about a third of the items need to be reversed ( 5 should be 1 etc) 

Can I do this? 

thanks! 

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 10 March 2021, 12:42

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Kristianlb  - from a user here.

I had this issue and the workaround (for me) was to push the data from the typeform into a Google Sheet and transform the responses to the ‘opposite scale’ for reporting purposes. 

not perfect but a viable solution for me. 

des

Userlevel 1

Thanks John, that’s a good plan as the client will be familiar with google sheets anyway. 

How did you actually do that calculation? I have about 150 responses and the survey has over 30 questions with 15 of them reversed…

thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Kristianlb - i created a second tab in the Google Sheet and used that to do the transforms: don’t monkey with the main tab that is automatically created and used by the Typeform integration

Look for the post by @Lasse here that talks about this issue. 

What i did was use logic that along this line:

• on MY tab, in my cell My_Q1_Response, i used logic like this: if (maintab:Q1 is 5, 1, if(maintab:Q1 is 4, 2, if(maintab:Q1 is 3, 3, if(miaintab:Q1 s 2, 4 if(maintab:Q1 is 1, 5, “error”)))))
  • and then copied this across to the other responses that need transforms.
  • for all the cells in which you have the correct values on the main tab, use the arrayformula function to pull all the data across to the second tab… 

don’t copy the logic statement as it is just words and not the correct statement in Google Sheets BUT it is close, just to give you the idea of how i did the transform

hope this helps

des

Userlevel 1

Just seen this response - that’s really helpful John. Thanks so much for taking the time to do that!