How many quiz questions are ideal?

• 19 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi Community Folks,

I’m looking to run a marketing quiz to help my customers best identify some brand traits. Any suggestions on what makes an ideal quiz length? 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Peebee thanks for stopping by! This is a really great question. We’ve got an article here about steps for building a great Typeform, and it mentions keeping the form itself short. I would say, if possible, no more than 10 questions, but it also depends a lot on your audience and who’s answering the form. @john.desborough do you have a form similar to this? I think so, but I could be just assuming you’ve made every kind of typeform by now ha!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Peebee thanks for stopping by! This is a really great question. We’ve got an article here about steps for building a great Typeform, and it mentions keeping the form itself short. I would say, if possible, no more than 10 questions, but it also depends a lot on your audience and who’s answering the form. @john.desborough do you have a form similar to this? I think so, but I could be just assuming you’ve made every kind of typeform by now ha!

@Liz - deer in the headlights look! who ?? me?? lol

@Peebee - I think it comes down to ‘where’ you are on trying to pull details out of your customers.. There are whole raft of folks who sell big ticket workshops on this very aspect, but many of them boil it down to something like this: 

• create a single question ask of the respondent while leaving the door open to them to provide as much or as little detail as possible the first time around, something like this:
    • what would you say is the single most important thing that entices you to buy a product or service from anyone - be as descriptive as you want in the text field below. 

what they are trying to do is get you to give as many ideas in the open ended question - be it colour, service, quality, rapid delivery, etc. to help put you in the lead bucket somewhere 

• and in return for your response to the above, they will typically offer some sort of discount or freebie download ie free shipping on your next order. just click the link or send us your email and we will get you the discount coupon

after you get the open-ended responses, most folks THEN present them with a 3-5 question follow up survey request to refine answers based on what had been provided by the open ended questions. ie take the top 15 words from the open ended responses and make three question list and ask people to rank them. again in return for something more

then they can really go deep into the next one that is really specific - that one tends to be 6-10 questions deep that will focus on very specific aspects that you want to address 

ok.. i babbled.. a lot.. 

• keep the first one short and open ended and get them to tell you what they think is impt
  • clarify in the second one, ok you told us these things - rank them for me. 
  • then go deep in third. 

my tuppence from the igloo

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This is super helpful, @john.desborough  - thanks! I learned something new here. :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This is super helpful, @john.desborough  - thanks! I learned something new here. :grinning:

thanks @Liz - probably spent too much time in that world as well trying to figure out the best ways to leverage Typeform to address those issues. 

@vickioneill - you are probably better to answer the question above, more so that me.. it seems to fall into your marketing realm more than in my data governance world.. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for the tag @john.desborough ! You and @Liz answered accurately in regards to what I recommend to clients with how long a quiz should be: 7-10.

A lot of GREAT information here, Des. Thank you for always being so thorough with your responses. I’m sure @Peebee has all the information PLUS more as result of you responding.