Answered

How to automate the creation of complex scoring questions

Hi! I'm creating a hard skills assessment for my team and having trouble making too much effort for a simple task. Basically, I determined that when selecting alternatives D or E for each question, 1 point would be added to the final score. This 2 alternatives indicates that this person has this skill developed.

The thing is: I'm having to customize each question score 😰

Just one of the levels has 56 questions, so It's been a hard work.

Does anyone know if there is a way to automate this process? I tought that duplicating the previous question would be enough to replicate the question characteristic, but when I check the Logic panel, it's not adapting to the actual question 😰😰😰

Here some prints to understand what I mean:

Pay attention to the logic of 6a question
I get back to the question panel, to duplicate this question
My expectation is to reuse the logic to the 6b question, considering 6b alternatives
When I check the logic panel, the 6b question is considering 6a question alternatives :((
More details of the logic
So I have to edit the rules, one by one.
This is what I expected since the beginning

What am I doing wrong? I really don't wanna edit the score of more than 100 questions, one by one.

Is there a better way to do it?

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 27 May 2022, 05:13

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@taqtile - i feel your pain on this one. I have had to do just that for a number of large quizzes.. 

a couple of points:

• when you duplicate a question it will duplicate the exact logic in the source - it isn’t a referential duplication ie that it will adjust the logic rules to reflect the new question number. 
  • the one thing that is nice about the duplication, once you have the logic “right” on the first question - especially if you have say 10 logic rules for scoring on that question that need to be replicated - is that at least you have the structure of the queries correct and all you have to do is click and change the q number. 
    • i know that is not perfect but it seems to be one of the limitations of the tool 
  • If you create a question group where all the questions and logic would be repeated for another question group (say in a product review case - you can choose to review up to three products, choose them from tthe list” ) - create one question group and then duplicate the question group.. 
    • all the questions and logic are duplicated AND you have to change the guts of the logic rules but at least they are there. 

one of the quickest ways that i have found to make these types of assessments work ‘faster’ for me is to by pass the calculations inside Typeform and push the data out to Google Sheets where I can set up the formulas and functions to quickly do all the scoring and calculations. I also use Document Studio to merge the data into an output template (Google Docs/Slides both work a treat) and send a pdf of the report out to the user. 

Mostly though I will crunch through the logic rules in the forms so that i can do the in-typeform report out (or as much of it as i can) and then use the Google Sheets/ Document Studio process to do more fulsome reporting in a pdf. 

including one assessment quiz that had over 500 logic rules - see the next point

Also - really suggest breaking your big typeform into a series of smaller typeforms that you connect by redirection on completion and hidden fields (ie pass the email address across as a key for linking the data together.) 

i know it may not be what you want to hear but as someone who has suffered through the same thing, just a few thoughts from the minefield. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @taqtile I hope you had a wonderful week! Were you able to give some of the suggestions above a go?