Answered

How to Generate Three Different Scores in One Quiz

• 24 October 2021
  • 6 replies

I have a quiz that is not scored in a straightforward way and i would like to know how to build it in Typeform, if it is possible. It is a quiz for couples to assess how “fair” they fight. The first two questions assess the frequency of their arguments and whether they get resolved. The answers are multiple choice each with its own score value. The score value of the response to question one is multiplied by the score value of the response to question two, to yield a total score for PART A.

PART B consists of 18 questions that assess destructive patterns of fighting or how couples fight. 9 of the questions are about how YOU “fight” in a disagreement and the other 9 are mirror questions about how YOUR PARTNER “fights” in a disagreement. All 18 questions are multiple choice responses with a different score value for each response. All nine values for the YOU questions are summed to get a YOU TOTAL SCORE FOR PART B and all nine YOUR PARTNER questions are summed separately to get a YOUR PARTNER TOTAL SCORE FOR PART B.

As you can see it’s complicated and I don’t see how to do it in Typeform and I suspect that Typeform won’t let me do it. But if there is a way …

So I need three scores:  

PART A (questions 1 and 2 multiplied together)

PART B (Questions 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 all summed together)

PART B (Questions 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 all summed together)

Is this possible?

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 24 October 2021, 16:34

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Mariannable - suggest that you use the advanced logic and create subtotal variables for each of the sections and then add those together in score to find your total. 

just a thought

des

Hi John, 

Thanks for this. Yes, that is what I wanted to do. I can see where to create a custom variable in Logic > Advanced > Variables. But when I click on “Add Custom Variable” it isn’t intuitively obvious what to do from there. In my mind I imagine that Typeform needs me to tell it “add Q3 Q5 Q7 [and so on] together and call it Variable_0” but i don’t see how to do that. The “Number” field only lets me put a number in it. i’m sure this is covered in some User Guide or tutorial somewhere but I’ve searched and been unable to find it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Mariannable - good start.. create the variable and it becomes a place-holder (start it at 0, as you indicated). 

then you will need to add logic rules for each question in the branching and logic section

• here you will have to create a logic rule using the tool that goes something like this: 
    • if q2answer is A then add 1 to subtotal_variable_1
    • if q2answer is B then add 2 to subtotal_variable_1
  • for multiplication you can use the following construct
    • if q1answer is A (or q1answer is B...etc)  then add q1answer value to multp_variable
    • if q2 answer is A (or B od..) then multiply multip_variable by q2answer
  • do this to add the appropriate values to each of the subtotals and you will have your your subtotals. 

hope that helps move the needle a little more

@john.desborough I wanted to thank you very much for your guidance here. Your response above made it click in my mind and I suddenly had clarity and saw what I needed to do.

I fixed up the quiz this week so it is working the way I wanted it to with your help.

Thanks again,

Nathan

@john.desborough   P.S. Here’s the finished quiz in case you were interested.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Mariannable - AWESOME!! 

and yes you did a great job on this.. AND the ‘rules’ at the end are pretty darn important for all of us to review and take to heart.. 

only one comment would be to look at the ending page and maybe change the ‘again’ button unless you want folks to repeat the quiz again from this page.. just a thought!

cheers and well done!!

des