Answered

How to stop respondents from moving forward in the form?

• 20 February 2021
  • 58 replies

Show first post

58 replies

Sure thing @Liz 

Again, it doesn’t work on initial page load. But if I type something into the input field and then delete it, only then will it prevent you from going to that next slide

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @kendrick , it’s definitely strange that it would allow them to scroll even with this logic jump. Would you be comfortable sharing the URL of your form so I can test it? 

@Liz Yup, here you go 

Badge

Hello!

I am selling tickets to a small gathering using Typeform. It’s all set up and I’m using “price” variables to calculate the amount ££ due. All questions are required because I need to know the name and email (at minimum) of the person buying the ticket. Without this information I can’t be sure if a ticket belongs to the person claiming they bought it. 

The problem 

Even though all questions are “required”, you can still scroll through the form without answering them and arrive at the payment page. I understand I should be able to prevent this by amending the logic. How?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

HI @FrankElixx Happy Monday! I hope you had a good weekend. :grin: I added your post here where we have the solution. Let us know if you think of any other questions. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Liz 

What about this HUGE problem ? Any news ?

To disable the submit button if someone answer’s is not what is expected ?

A simple example is with a “LEGAL” question in Typeform:

DO YOU ACCEPT RGPD OR GDPR LEGAL NOTICES AND LET US RECORDING ALL YOUR INFORMATIONS AND CONTACT YOU BY PHONE ?

• YES
  • NO

If some one answer NO, why it is actually possible to record the result ?

It is a must to disable the submit button with a LOGIC rule, and if possible very quickly. It is not allowed for us in RGPD and GDPR way.

There is a long time this topic is opened, and all the TIPS or other ideas in this topic helps us a little but it is not enough.

Do you think it is quickly possible to add this functionnality ?

The only thing it does is to make our work harder, unwanted leads and results, and raise our monthly TypeForm QUOTA of results.

Thank you @Liz for any answer

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Deka - the platform is a browser-server. cloud-based solution. The form is served to YOUR browser and then the back end awaits an interaction from the browser, namely the Submit button being pressed, to receive the data. 

In reality, someone who has come to your form has gone through part of the process you designed in the form. We are using the logic of the form to make the decision. We should be ‘paying’ for that usage as part of the subscription. Understanding the numbers of people who are not eligible to follow your business process is actually desirable - to be able to understand if you need to refine, improve or tweak your offer to get better/more people to be eligible. 

you could always set up a page on your website that asks if someone is going to allow for the compliance with GDPR, for example, BEFORE you send them to the typeform. Maybe you write better email invitations to potential users that outline who should NOT fill in the form (ie those who don’t want to accept the compliance requirements).

It may be that you need to rethink your business process(es) to leverage what Typeform can do for you.  Unless you have pay-as-you-drive insurance for a car, you pay premiums to an insurance company for the privilege of having coverage for your car, whenever you choose to drive it. If you are using Typeform to ‘weed out’ who is a candidate for your offers, then you should pay for it - whether or not the user is a good candidate. After all, that IS what you are trying to do is it not: come up with qualified leads? 

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if this issue is being tackled and going to be solved in the near future? I do have several dropdown menus with several hundred options each - so respondents have to search for their institution. Sadly while scrolling through the options, they jump to the next question. I already included an statement to use the search bar but still people’s first way of trying is to scroll through the options.

Given the very high number of possible answers, the logic workaround is obviously not an option. Any idea how I can prevent the users from scrolling through the next question?

Thanks,
Richard

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @RichardAh Thanks for stopping by! I don’t believe this is currently on our roadmap, but I’m checking with product. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @RichardAh The product team has actually been testing this to see if it would help increase the response rates on the forms, and they have confirmed it does. They’re looking to add this to the roadmap in the future, though I don’t have a specific time when. Hopefully this sheds some good news though!

Hi there,

I’m curious if there is a way, or workaround, to disable the scroll to advance feature in an iframe embed. It’s causing some less than ideal user experience issues, and most scrolling iframe fixes I’ve found involve removing pointer events, which would remove the ability to advance the form. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @noblemen I added your post here where we have the answer. Let us know if you think of any other questions!

Userlevel 1
Badge

4 months later… has this been resolved or has this gone to the typeform roadmap black hole? 

If a question is set to required, why should someone be able to skip to the next question when the next question might not even be a question - it might be a statement that is completely out of context if the question is skipped. 

If someone believes skipping required questions so users are forced to go back and answer the questions they skipped before submitting is good UX… I disagree and would greatly appreciate the option to disable the ability to skip required questions. Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @nrom I asked our product team about this, and they have confirmed this is still on the roadmap. They haven’t quite figured out the best solution for it yet, but as always, I’ll post any updates here!

Userlevel 1
Badge

The solution is to revert back to the original typeform implementation of not allowing a question to be scrolled through if the question is required. They could do this with a basic conditional logic option.

This user behavior was changed when typeform started down the logic for every permutation/derivation path. As a result, you need to add conditional logic for every permutation/derivation including hacked anti-skip logic whereby if a respondent attempts to scroll through a question that would lead them to another question that wouldn’t make sense, you now need to create another unnecessary step with logic tied to this unnecessary step to revert back to where they were in the form. Sort of a - hey… you shouldn’t have done that, but you were able to - so now return to the previous question step. 

I had to do this 21 times for a single question with 21 potential answers. If you just prevent scrolling through a required question - it largely negates the need for all the additional steps. Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @nrom Thanks for sharing that! I’ll pass it along to product. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Another 60 days down - what news @Liz ? My users (on hotjar recordings) are scrolling right past the important required question - what can I help you with? gonna have to resort to building my own form at this rate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Ben Walsh Have you tried the logic jump solutions provided above? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Ben Walsh Have you tried the logic jump solutions provided above? 

Ahhh, yeah that’s fixed that behaviour - thank goodness - cheers for that. Wasn’t sure what was meant above - but literally removing the catch all and manually adding the logic for each answer did prevent progressing using the mouse wheel or touch. Thanks

Hi @Ben Walsh Have you tried the logic jump solutions provided above? 

This is not a viable solution when looking at 20+ variation questions or open ended text questions. A solution is needed and if product team is unable to simply release an on/off scroll through ability (like the v1 of typeform) Many of us will have to simply go to other platforms like Jotform that allow this. Cmon guys.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Glad to hear that worked, @Ben Walsh ! Let us know if we can help with anything else. 😀

Thanks for the feedback, @harrisonc . We’ll share this with product. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello
1) The form I re-copied
2) I have set the logic and also set the content
3) I have set each question to be required
4) You can jump to the next question by sliding the mouse or sliding your finger on the computer and mobile phone
5) Is there any way to prevent such a thing from happening, I ask that I cannot see the next question without completing this question

Looking for your reply !

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @funeng I’ve added your post here where we have the answer. 😀

Hi @Liz ...I am having the same issue here.  I have a form that is predicated on the user not moving forward unless they answer the question, yet they seem to be able to scroll on by, even if I set that question to need a mandatory answer.  In this thread you allude to a solution, but I am not seeing it here.  Can you give me a link to that solution?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Could you send a screenshot of the logic jumps you have setup, @jsonic23 ? And if you haven’t already taken a peek, this article here can walk you through setting up the jumps that prevent respondents from moving forward.