Images are slow to load

• 30 September 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi,

We’re having some negative customer experience where the images in our picture choice questions are being slow to load on mobile.

Short of manually going through every image in our survey, compressing, and re-uploading, Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks,

Oliver

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @oliverfarren Thanks for stopping by! Do you mind sharing the URL of your Typeform so we can test this for you? Additionally, any information about the device/browsers you’re seeing this most on would be great. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks Liz, i’ve raised a technical support ticket with some screen recordings attached.

We have the typeform survey embedded in our site and the issue is experienced cross platform, on both android mobile and firefox browser on desktop. I suspect this is an issue Typeform side since that’s where the images seem to be stored and I can otherwise get a good server connection.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Glad to hear you were able to get ahold of our technical team, @oliverfarren ! We’re happy to take a look here, too, if you’d like. Otherwise, let us know what they say in case anyone else happens to have the same issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @oliverfarren

Were you able to solve your issue with the pictures? It'd be great if you could share what was the solution for your problem! 

Wishing you a great day! :blush:

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Gabi Amaral ,

Sorry for not updating. So I raised a ticket with support and the conclusion was the total size of all our images is causing them to load slowly at startup.

The solution is to change all or some of the images to be smaller in file size.

So I suppose the takeaway for this, for anyone else, would be to compress your images before uploading!

I have fedback to Typeform regarding that overall, I think there are number of different improvements they could be making which are:

• Typeform could compress the images/have the option too
  • Given all our images were, individually, within the file size limitations, we never imagined this would be an issue… I feel there could be more proactivity on Typeforms side in this regard. System monitoring, even a note on this in the typeform knowledge base.
  • Better pagination/Better server availability in our region.
  • Better tools for adding images.
    • There’s no non-technical way to batch upload images to typeform, so we either have an engineer script it, or a non-technical person has to manually upload each individual image. We might have to wipe our image library in order to ensure the new image is selected. As a user, I want to be easily manage our image collections.
    • Once uploaded, someone still has to then go through each question, and for each image, click on the image, and navigate the gallery in order to make the change. Besides the time and tedium of this, this also presents another concern for me, the auto-save “feature” which i’ve mentioned before, means it’s quite easy to accidentally change something and be unable to undo the change which has now been saved, I could make a copy of the survey, but then all the webhooks and integrations have to be updated and our responses are fragmented. So, as a user I want to easily, and safely make changes.

I’m currently exploring whether the create API can be used to make this change programmatically, but I see the image functionality is not part of the Python SDK so it’ll need to be done in Javascript/Node.js (i’m more rusty in those languages), but I think this at it stands is the safest, fastest way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @oliverfarren Thanks for following up! Do you mind sharing approximately how many images (to your best guess) you had on your form? This might help anyone else with the same issue and the same number of images!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Liz so my understanding is it’s not the number of images as such but the total size. 

Don’t have that info to hand, but should be able to understand more once I build out my script to make the updates. Thinking about it, firefox has some tools that can analyse the response time which might give insight into how this correlates.

It’s worth noting this is also impacted by region, no? We’re UK and London based so the response time might be different in Barcelona or other regions I would have thought.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ok, thank you, @oliverfarren ! Let us know what you find! We’re hosted on AWS, so I don’t think location should be an issue, but I could be completely wrong about that. @mathio you wouldn’t happen to know, would you? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Liz as far as I know the images are compressed and resized. The images used in picture choice question are resized to 230x230 pixels.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Ok that’s good to know, so most likely you have servers available in our area. I checked the Firefox network analyser on our site page with the form embedding and it looks like we’re seeing long initial wait times in our first set of GET responses from https://images.typeform.com, ~1000ms, with 76ms receive time, despite the content of the response being small ~ 92kB per image.

Subsequent form page responses are better… but with images of size around 1.6mB the requests noticeably slow down to ~ 2000ms wait time and 2500ms receive time.

No doubt once we compress the large images we’ll see those latter timings improve. But I’m concerned the former, being the first request might not see much improvement from image compression alone.

I exported the network analysis as a .har file if it’s something Typeform would like to investigate further.

Thanks,

Oliver