Answered

Is it possible to assign unique URL to each unique typeform submission?

Userlevel 2

Hi Tyepform Beta Community, I have an advanced question. I am building a Typeform for attendees of a virtual event to collect information on their experience. On the Thank you screen, I want to load a unique URL from a list of URLs imported via CSV. The recipient would then be invited to click on the unique URL assigned to their submission and select a gift card from a third party platform.

Is it possible to assign a unique URL to each submission as described?

icon

Best answer by Nordin 8 January 2021, 16:29

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @peterdeitz ,

We don’t currently have a way to import a list of items via CSV at the moment, so this wouldn’t be possible, but I can submit this as a feature request for you. :) The only close workaround I can think of would be to use recalled variables to recall an answer in the form and input that into the redirect URL, but I’m not sure if this would be very helpful if your URLs are already preset. 

I’m sorry that’s not super helpful, but if I do hear of another solution, I’ll post it here. :) 

Userlevel 2

Thanks @lizattypeform. I knew I was reaching for the stars in my request. To generalize the feature request further, I would describe it as:

Capability:

Assign and present a pre-defined variable (could be a URL, secret word, team name)

Options:

1. 1 to 1 OR 1 to many (i.e. each pre-defined variable could be assigned to only one submission OR the same-predefined variable could be assigned to multiple submissions)
  2. Assign randomly or in a sequence
  3. Assign the variable up to a certain number of times (i.e. Team Blue to 5 submissions)

To Import variables:

• Via CSV or in a text area (separated by lines)

Thanks! I could se this becoming a powerful capability that is made good use of by power users. It allows for a level of interactivity that form-filling-out usually lacks.

Peter

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@lizattypeform - the import list from CSV is something that I had asked about via support going back 6-8 months ago: I have a whole series of assessments that are already in existence in Excel (from 50 to 400 question projects) and would not really want to have to type them into a question list. It would be really handy to have the ability to import the list of questions into typeform based on something like “all questions are imported as a yes/no question by default - if you want to change the question type, you will have to do so after import” 

That would turn my ‘stuff’ into useable, sellable assessments SOOOOO much faster - right now it will take me about 6 months to do the input in the off hours of the evenings.. 

happy to discuss 

thanks

des

Badge +5

Thanks @lizattypeform. I knew I was reaching for the stars in my request. To generalize the feature request further, I would describe it as:

Capability:

Assign and present a pre-defined variable (could be a URL, secret word, team name)

Options:

1. 1 to 1 OR 1 to many (i.e. each pre-defined variable could be assigned to only one submission OR the same-predefined variable could be assigned to multiple submissions)
  2. Assign randomly or in a sequence
  3. Assign the variable up to a certain number of times (i.e. Team Blue to 5 submissions)

To Import variables:

• Via CSV or in a text area (separated by lines)

Thanks! I could se this becoming a powerful capability that is made good use of by power users. It allows for a level of interactivity that form-filling-out usually lacks.

Peter

This is really detailed, thanks @peterdeitz. We’ll make sure it reaches the right person @ Typeform.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hello All, 

This is Nordin from Tech support. Nice being involved in our beautiful community once again. I hope you all had a beautiful end of the year and a better entry to the new one. I just came back from holidays so I’m seriously doing well :P 

I see this thread has evolved into two different things so I’ll address them per sections: 

1. How to create a unique redirect URL for each participant?

There is a  way to do this using hidden fields (Recall information) when calling the form URL. Then you can use that same hidden field value in the redirect option. You will need to add that manually to the link you share with your respondents. For instance if I shared with Peter I would do the following: 

1. Share link to my typeform like: 
    www.myform.typeform.com?redirect_url=peterpage 

2. Now in my redirect field in Typeform I will redirect to my website using the hidden field value: 
    www.mywebsite.com/user_pages/@redirect_url

3. The end result is that the customer would be redirected here: 
    www.mywebsite.com/user_pages/peterpage

You can also try to pass the whole URL as a hidden field like:
     www.myform.typeform.com?redirect_url=https://www.google.com 

However I’m not sure if that will work as we encode some values and I haven’t tested it yet. It would be good if someone can do a quick test and see if that works :) 

If you have a CRM like Mailchimp you can automate the URL generation part by creating a column with the URL in the contact details and then add that column value to the URL in your email. We have a help center article explaining that: https://help.typeform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029293412-Automated-Hidden-Fields-with-MailChimp 

2. Create a form using an import method such as importing from a file (CSV) or from other provider

We don't have an ETR at the moment but we are working on some functionality to make this easy from the user side by clicking few buttons. I expect it to be out sooner than you expect :) I’m not sure if CSV is going to be available from launch but I’ll pass this feedback to our product team. 

Meanwhile, if you are an API user we offer a create API form that would allow you to process the CSV and create a form from the CSV data but you would need to write a script for it. If you are just going to use it once it doesn't make sense but if it’s something you are going to use a lot I would invest 1 day or 2 on testing the script. Our API docs are here: https://developer.typeform.com/create/

I hope all this helps. If I missed, or messed, anything let me know :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Nordin - glad you had a great holiday … and thanks for sharing the thoughts on both issues. 

Let me know if you need someone to test the ETR/CSV import ‘utility’ you mention - i will gladly try that out.. The API approach sounds like it will make sense - I will have to look into that over the weekend (not so sure on my scripting skills at the moment but … lol)

thanks for point us in a possible direction 

des

Userlevel 2

@Nordin My unique issue involves a redirect URL and your answer is very helpful. Thank you.

In my abstraction of my needs to a more general use case, the idea of assigning pre-defined variables to submissions based on information provided or randomly, is a third thing altogether. I’d be happy to elaborate on how this capability would significantly turbo-charge Typeform as it’s a capability absent from virtually every other ‘survey’ solution. 

Userlevel 2

The closest similar product that I know of is SendOwl, which can assign codes/urls/file-attachments to unique e-commerce orders. Typeform could encompass that use case but then take it a step further to help automate the actioning on submissions in general. This may not be of interest to the product team and apologies if the idea is not helpful / too esoteric.

Are we able to import names from csv files now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @newtosurveys22 It’s not possible to upload a data file to Typeform, but you can use a CRM service to pass in the data like this