Answered

Looping back to complete additional branches

• 9 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi.

I have built a survey which is asking repsondents about 5 different areas of a town. I want to ask them the same questions about each different area.

The survey starts with a multiple choice (single option only allowed), of which area they want to respond on and the logic directs them to one of 5 question groups. These have the same questions but with each of the 5 area names substituted in.

When they reach the end of their first choice of area I want to offer the opportunity to return and complete the survey for a different area.

I’ve tried doing this two ways:

1. the logic loops back to the original multiple choice where they can choose a different area and are then directed along a different question group branch;
  2. each question group ends with a repeat of the multiple choice where they can choose a different area and are then directed to the beginning of the relevant question group.

Neither of these builds works:

1. the responses input for previous branches is overwritten and the only data collected at the end is a record of only the  last branch they completed;
  2. The logic tells me that it ‘can't jump back to a skipped question or a different question branch’.

Ultimately I would like to offer people the ability to complete the survey for all 5 areas in which ever order they choose, or for only some of the areas if they wish.

Thanks for any help/ideas.

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 13 February 2024, 14:33

View original

5 replies

Thats an easy one:

first Multi select (5 question groups)

then

1. Question Group 1
    1. Q1
    2. Q2
    3. Q3
  2. QG 2
    1. Q1
    2. Q2
    3. Q3
  3. etc…

from the first multi sel ct slides 5 rules:

(if option 1 is selceted jump to Q1, if option 2 is selcted jump to Q2

And at the end of each question group als rules, where you can skip the previous Q:

Zo slide 1.3 gives 4 rules:

if option 2 is selected etc

Slide 2.3 gives 3 rules:

starting with if option 3 is selected

Thats all

hmmm, I’m trying, but I’m not sure I follow your idea. I can’t assume they will complete Q1 first. The initial multiple choice may mean they initiate their journey along Q5 arriving at the end of that requiring the option to go back to any of the others except Q5, and the same for each of the other questions. However if they’re on their 2nd or subsequent routes through having looped back once or more then the options that are appropriate that time will need to be different again because by then they will have completed 1 or more branches.
When I set up similar to as you have suggested I found that the data overwrote their last response as the logic did not see this as a single connected continuum/journey.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @djahawes I think they might be referencing the logic jumps in this article

One thing to note - it’s not possible to move backwards in the form (ex, looping to fill out the same question multiple times), so you will need to add the question as many times as it may be asked and use the logic jumps in the article above to show however many questions apply. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@djahawes - you really have two choices here for your logic: 

• you will have to create a bunch of ‘possible choices left’ pages in each stream and track where the user has already provided answers in order to present the right page 
    • ie if they answer questions first about area A then you need to present a page saying which of BCDE do you want to go to next? 
    • if they have answered A and then choose C, in C you need to have logic rules that check to see if they have answered the questions in group A and C and present the page to choose BDE as the options 
    • it is complicated to do this and as was mentioned, you would be best to do all this style/approach using question groups
  • you can ‘force’ folks to follow the progression of A though E with a multi-select multiple choice that allows them to select 1 or more of the options and then use the logic rules to see if they selected A and start there - at the end of A the logic checks to see if they selected B as well and if not, did they select C etc.. 

i created a cheat sheet for the second option that can help you with the logic rules - you can find more about it here and see if it might help you out. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @djahawes I hope you’re having a lovely Friday! Did the solution above work? Let us know if there’s anything else we can help with!