Answered

Multiple Choice Items with numbers

• 19 March 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all! New to typeform, I’m a wordpress developer, but I’m building a quote form to integrate with a client’s website. His account is “Professional” subscription level. I’ve got a few questions, but the biggest one is this:

Client has a quote form where customers need to indicate if they have certain types of items. So that’s simple multiple choice…. which is great...

Tricky part is, I also need customers to indicate HOW MANY of these items they have. So if they choose an item, I need an option where they can indicate a number or an amount next to that item they’ve chosen.

I don’t want to do this as conditional logic with individual items, because there are literally hundreds of items (about 6 categories, each category has about 20-30 items). So I want to have category pages which list the items, then customer can tick an item if they have it and then add a number next to it.

Is this possible somehow?? I can’t seem to find any options like this. Please advise? Thanks so much!

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 19 March 2021, 13:39

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @saranya-designs. Welcome to the Typeform Community! :hugging:

At the moment, it's not possible to add a number when selecting an option from the multiple-choice question. Would the respondent select only one option from this question block? If so, you could add a follow-up question such as "How many [@recall information from the previous question] would you like?" This way, the follow-up question will be updated with the previous response and the user will be able to select the number.

If the user would select multiple options, then the alternative would be creating the logic jumps, as you've mentioned. 

Let us know if you have further questions. We'll be happy to help :) 

Userlevel 1

Hi Mariana, thanks for getting back to me. Yeah I was trying to avoid the follow-up question method, because as I mentioned in my initial query, there are about 6 pages of categories, each category will have about 20-30 options, and the customer will be choosing multiple options in each category.

So this follow-up method could potentially lead to HUNDREDS of follow up pages. I need to find a better solution… Maybe if I offer a bit more detail… 

The form is a quote form for a moving company, so the first question is “which rooms are you moving”, and the multiple choices will be a list like:

• Kitchen
  • Living Room
  • Bedroom

They will be able to choose more than one. Then for each room the customer ticks, there will be conditional follow up questions, which will be a list of furniture, for example:

BEDROOM:

• queen size mattress
  • queen size bedframe
  • nightstand
  • (longer list of items continues, and so on for each room they have chosen in the first round of multiple choice questions)

And for example, it is more than likely that they will have multiple nightstands or multiple beds from several bedrooms etc… So somehow I need to concisely collect the NUMBER of items from each item they are adding to the list. 

As you can see, this could amount to hundreds of items in the end…

Any thoughts on how this can be done?

On the backend, I will also need to assign a monetary amount to each item so that the form will automatically calculate this part of the estimate for the client before they get back to the customer with the quote. Hence the need to get this part right.

Thoughts?

Perhaps Typeform is not the right tool for this, but I struggled to find a better option with as nice a user interface…?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@saranya-designs - from a user here

maybe something like the matrix question could be adapted to collect the information? you would have to push the data into a Google Sheet or Excel file or other back end to do the calculations for the report - there is no logic available yet for the matrix question type 

was just thinking something like this might work.. could also be a question related to bedroom one with items along the vertical access and counts across the top (ie tall dresser - counts 0 - 1 2….

just a thought

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @saranya-designs 

To add on to @john.desborough great matrix solution, you could also add the ‘Other’ category and use it for adding a quantity for the item selected. 

Userlevel 1

AH! THANK YOU BOTH!!! Yes I think something like this could work wonderfully. I didn’t really understand what the Matrix Question option was before, to be honest… this is a huge help, I’ll have a think on how best to adapt it, but I think this will work.

@john.desborough and @vickioneill thanks for your input.

Userlevel 1

@vickioneill Can you elaborate on your idea for me? I can’t find a way to add an OTHER category to the matrix so that users can enter their own text. I only see a radio button or check box option. Can you point me in the right direction?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @saranya-designs woop! All the use cases for the matrix question!! There isn’t a way to add a write-in option, but you could add a short text field right after to give the respondents to enter something if they’d like. Would that work at all? :grinning:

Userlevel 1

hi @Liz I’m not sure I follow what you mean - do you mean a totally separate follow up question, or is there a way to add this text field within the matrix itself? If it’s the former, then no, that won’t work. As I mentioned in my examples, that could potentially lead to hundreds of individual follow up questions in this particular form. I am aiming to find a solution where both elements are answered in the one question (as in 1. which items do you have and 2. how many of each of these items do you have).

I think I’ve solved it for now, but if anyone has a more elegant solution, I’m open to hearing it. For reference, here’s the form in question, this particular issue begins around question #13:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

hi @Liz I’m not sure I follow what you mean - do you mean a totally separate follow up question, or is there a way to add this text field within the matrix itself? If it’s the former, then no, that won’t work. As I mentioned in my examples, that could potentially lead to hundreds of individual follow up questions in this particular form. I am aiming to find a solution where both elements are answered in the one question (as in 1. which items do you have and 2. how many of each of these items do you have).

I think I’ve solved it for now, but if anyone has a more elegant solution, I’m open to hearing it. For reference, here’s the form in question, this particular issue begins around question #13:

That looks pretty good @saranya-designs  - i like the way you adapted the matrix and numbers into the list of items - that makes ‘better sense’ than trying to do it by room 

In trying to NOT remember when I have moved over the past years lol, I think that the lists that you have done to data are pretty inclusive but i can see where there are a large number of things that would require the ability to enter in a number (for me, for example, 4+ boxes of books would not do it justice lol.. i have over 2,500 books in my library and they ARE moving with me lol.. ) 

in the case where there may be multiples beyond what your current limits are, maybe you make the case for a followup email with link to a second survey to get more precise - for example on the same boxes of books line, IF someone puts in 4+ boxes (your highest number at this point) then you send them a email to complete a follow up so that you can understand if you need to send a large van as opposed to a small or medium sized van based on having about 50 boxes of books (i am not kidding!! i had that many - my wife thinks i am nuts). 

Alternatively, for items like that, you might also want to give them the option to fill in a spreadsheet/form that you provide and that they could upload in the second email message - just to get better clarity on the quote. I will admit that when we moved, i actually appreciated the fact that our moving company did that - just to be sure because their question was “aside from furniture, how many boxes of dishes/glasses/breakables do you have and how many other boxes of the following sizes a,b,c” please let us know since this helps us understand which type of vehicle to assign and to plan our packing/loading order sequence. 

great job on this current version! 

des