Answered

Performance implication for big forms

• 9 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello,

As part of a complaints form for all products in an order of an e-commerce site, we have created form that contains more that 150+ questions complemented with quite few logic jumps.

The form works as expected but we’ve notice very poor performance, especially on low end mobile devices where after selecting an option on a multiple-choice field, the form can take more than 8 seconds to move to the next question.

Also, the text fields are terrible slow.

Is this expected to happen with forms that have so many questions?

You can look an example in the following link:

icon

Best answer by Liz 9 March 2021, 23:04

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Carlos Bernal thanks for stopping by, and great question. The more components you have in a typeform, the slower it can become. It’s hard to say specifically what those components are since it can vary from form to form. For example, one form might have a lot of videos which slows it down versus another form that has a lot of questions. It’s worth keeping in mind that if your forms are very large and complex, the likelihood of performance issues increases. If possible, I would suggest breaking up your form and tying them together, which can also increase the response rate! :) 

Userlevel 2

Hi @Liz, Thank you for your answer.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say `breaking up your form and tying them together`. The link says that people can come back to the form and that it’ll remember previous answers, but how would that help with the performance issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Carlos Bernal - from a user here:

I think that @Liz means that you can break your typeform into a series of typeforms where the first calls the second (passing any required hidden fields, like a unique identifier ie email)  which calls the third, etc...: using the redirect upon completion feature.  (in the production version of the link below, i link output the form data to Google Sheets and link the data together based on the email field in the separate sheets/tabs in one sheet)

click here if you would like to see a working example of this 

des 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough yes, exactly! That hyperlink (and linked here, too) has the instructions for setting this up. 

Userlevel 2

Understood. Thank you @Liz and @john.desborough 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Not a problem, @Carlos Bernal ! Let us know if you think of anything else.