Answered

Using recall information in Multiple Choice

• 24 May 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

I am building an application form and have already collected the clients names. I now want to ask if they have a current mortgage and whether it’s in the name of Client 1, client 2, or both. But I was hoping to use the @ recall facility to pull across their names in place of Client 1 or Client 2, but cannot see how I do this.

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 24 May 2021, 21:14

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Peter B (again :))

When you say you’ve already collect client names, do you mean from asking those completing the form or a list you’ve created that you want them to choose from? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Peter B - if you are trying to use information or answers from a previous question in a dynamically created multiple choice, ie Vicki and John (who have responded in this thread as examples lol) to populate the choice list as ‘labels’ - that is not possible inside Typeform at this time. 

des

Userlevel 1
Badge

So, in this situation, I have already asked their first names and have used the @ recall to personalise the application as the client goes through each question. I was hoping that when I get to a question similar to below, to be able to replace Client 1, with their first name that I have asked in an earlier question.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Peter B - yeah. that is the part i was referring to that will not work dynamically. What you could do as a work around is use the Description area to show something like this:

If @recall client 1 has the current mortgage, choose A 

if @recall client 2 has the current mortgage, choose B

if it is joint, choose Both. 

I had to do this with a page that asked folks to to select their top 5 tshirt quotes (across 5 pages) and then rank them - ranking questions have the same logic issue of not being able to accept input from prior questions or variables: 

that worked for me but it is only a workaround at this time. 

des

Hello all.  I am new to typeform and am wondering if it is possible to use the answers from existing questions in another question?  Example...say written short form answers are presented in a list that someone can then rank in terms of most important to least important.

On the ranking style question one would draw the answer from the previous questions into a list that could then be drag and dropped into a hierarchical order of most important to least…..so  answer to question 1 would show up as the top then 2 then three then four etc.  The respondent could then order their list into what is most to least important?   

Any help would be awesome Cheers  Kevin 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @recce88! Welcome to our community! :hugging:

You can recall information from a response of a respondent. Take a peek at this article to understand more.

However, it’s currently not possible to use the recalled information as an option for a question. That’s why I’ve moved your question to this thread. Here you can find more information about that and a workaround that might help you!  :muscle_tone2:

Let us know if you’ve tried the workaround suggested by @john.desborough and if it worked for you!

Can I recall top 3 selections from a multiple select as choices for a ranking question so users can rank top 3?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @Jkap! Happy to have you here! :heart_eyes:

As I said before, You can recall information from a response of a respondent. However, it’s not possible to use the recalled information as an option for a question.

I moved your question to this topic where you can find a workaround that might help you! Let me know if it does. Wishing you a great day! :sunny:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jkap @Gabi Amaral  - i have used the following as a work around for this (based on getting folks to select top 10 tshirt quotes and then rank them)

• have users select their mc answers on q1
  • q2 is ranking question: 
    • in the question header, put a message saying something like “you selected the 3 items listed below - to rank them in order, please select the corresponding “choice X” box in the list below and rank them from top choice to least choice”
    • in the description field @recall the 3 choices along these lines:
      • 1 @recall-mc-1
      • 2 @recall-mc-2
      • 3 @recall-mc-3
    • in the ranking portion 
      • Choice #1
      • Choice #2
      • Choice #3 

this allows you to have ‘generic labels’ and you can then export the data via Connect/integration to something like Google Sheets where you can correlate the mc answers with the ranking options. 

Below i showed an example of how i did it on one survey it worked ok for my purposes

des