What rewards don't work?

• 12 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I’m planning out rewards for our upcoming surveys and want to find something that’s future proofed. A happy medium that we’ll discover through testing our mailing list and on-site users.

The format i’ve used in the past is a competition based reward. A chance to win £100 seems to motivate participation but i haven’t tested this on a huge variety of user bases. If possible, i’d like to entirely avoid paying every participant as it’d become too expensive and complex with always on surveying.

So I was hoping i could get advice from all of you on what you’ve found works and doesn’t work in terms of both reward types, amounts/reward values and reward models. Any and all help is very much appreciated!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi again, @Sir_Vey ! This is also a great question. 

@john.desborough or @Darnell have either of you seen a good rewards program or programs that don’t work? 

I just received an email from a company that asked me to leave a video review in exchange for $10 and to be totally honest, that didn’t entice me (but I’m also pretty lazy with that stuff). It might have been because a video seemed like a lot more work than a regular review and the product wasn’t life-changing enough for me to want to put myself on camera. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz @Sir_Vey 

it all depends on the ‘value’ of the survey responses … if you want my email address, you need to give me some sort of lead magnet that will make me cough that precious asset.. it needs to solve a problem that i might have… (ie.. in exchange for your email and the opportunity to send you more tips and tricks once a month in a newsletter, I will give you a typeform template that shows how to calculate the highest score among 3/5 categories)

if you want my opinion on a variety of questions and you are going to segment me into a variety of lists for the purpose of sending me emails to sell me some product, you better be giving me more than just a lead magnet. ie my name, email, city, phone number and gender and my dietary preferences, then you better give me a free voucher for nachos and beer at a local bar. 

the more data you want from an individual the greater the reward. 

des